Tony Hibbert

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was decent enough but he's just so negative in possession. He is very, very limited and always has been, but he was safe enough in the defensive third and I guess that was his job. So well done, Tony. Still rather have seen Garbutt given a go. When will he ever get a game if he can't come in as third choice left back?

He was decent enough but he's just so negative in possession. He is very, very limited and always has been, but he was safe enough in the defensive third and I guess that was his job. So well done, Tony. Still rather have seen Garbutt given a go. When will he ever get a game if he can't come in as third choice left back?

You'd crucify him if he'd been targetted by a bunch of diving cheating bruisers like the Whammers, this game was a stone wall Hibbert seduction.

I think without Barry we definitely needed some defensive cover, especially with Osman in midfield. Hence, I think Hibbert on the left was the right choice.....I imagine if Barry was available, it would have been Garbut playing LB

When I saw that Hibbert was playing at Left Back, I had some serious doubts, but he did alright with it in the end. I wouldn't like to see him doing it regularly though. He's much better on the right

I also like how defensive he is. It's a refreshing change of pace from the typical Right Back you come across in the game today

I think without Barry we definitely needed some defensive cover, especially with Osman in midfield. Hence, I think Hibbert on the left was the right choice.....I imagine if Barry was available, it would have been Garbut playing LB

Possibly but I think it was more likely the cover that Pienaar offers his leftback that was a deciding factor in not starting Garbutt, Mirallas doesn't get asked to do as much tracking back. What ever was the main reason it was obviously the right choice and Hibbert didn't let Martinez down like a few on here predicted.

On the MOTD highlights I seen two crosses he let go - he backs away far too easily for a fullback - better in the centre of the defence imo , but lacks height - Garbutt should have been on for at least 45 minutes at left back!

But he harried their player and held the crosses up long enough for the rest of his defence to get organised behind him? Baines has never been the best at getting tight to his man either.

Osman and Hibbert are our main scapegoats at present and will get slated by some no matter what they do...so the best thing to do I find is ignore the mindless repitive criticism and assess the players on performance. Both did well and more than justified selection.

The only part I don't understand is why Garbutt is not sent out on loan if the manager is prepared to use Baines,Oviedo and Hibbert ahead of him. I can only imagine the manager predicted the physical nature of the West Ham game and felt Hibbert woud cope better.

Osman and Hibbert are our main scapegoats at present and will get slated by some no matter what they do...so the best thing to do I find is ignore the mindless repitive criticism and assess the players on performance. Both did well and more than justified selection.

The only part I don't understand is why Garbutt is not sent out on loan if the manager is prepared to use Baines,Oviedo and Hibbert ahead of him. I can only imagine the manager predicted the physical nature of the West Ham game and felt Hibbert woud cope better.

I very much hope that as and when we wrap up EL qualification, a few of the youth setup will get a run out in a 'dead rubber' fixture, think similar to what Moyes did when we went and beat AZ.

my god I've seen Hibbo played RB, CB and now LB.

what's next CDM?

Good job he's not across the park, Brenda would have him in the pivot position in inverted triangles and then moving forward at the base of the offensive diamond... Hibbo never was any good at trigonometry, he'd be phooked lol

On the MOTD highlights I seen two crosses he let go - he backs away far too easily for a fullback - better in the centre of the defence imo , but lacks height - Garbutt should have been on for at least 45 minutes at left back!

Two crosses is fine, i would be shocked if a defender can stop them %100 of the time.

While he is back off he is slowing the play down, if he tried to make a lunging tackle at certain times he runs the risk of the attacker pushing the ball past him and beating him for pace.

With several players having just played 2 international games Roberto had to save his subs for players who might have tired towards the end of the game, once Tony had sarted subbing him wasnt an optioin unless he got injured

Status
Not open for further replies.