Tim Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.
The role goalkeepers are having to play has changed. Some managers are choosing keepers especially for their sweeping ability. Tim has made some mistakes by his usual high standards but he will come good. I think RM should have mentioned it was his mistake for the 2nd on sunday instead of the rubbish he came out with about pienaar. That ball should have gone into row z then he should have immediately screamed at the ref and pointed to pienaar. Tim is one of about 4 or 5 of our world cup players who have not reached the levels they reached last year. I stay stick with Tim and watch the Wolfsburg game again if you think he has lost it.

The role goalkeepers are having to play has changed. Some managers are choosing keepers especially for their sweeping ability. Tim has made some mistakes by his usual high standards but he will come good. I think RM should have mentioned it was his mistake for the 2nd on sunday instead of the rubbish he came out with about pienaar. That ball should have gone into row z then he should have immediately screamed at the ref and pointed to pienaar. Tim is one of about 4 or 5 of our world cup players who have not reached the levels they reached last year. I stay stick with Tim and watch the Wolfsburg game again if you think he has lost it.

Howard's shot-stopping ability isn't the issue. It's the rest of his game -- command of the area, confidence with crosses and his clearances/goal kicks -- that's come under scrutiny right now. And right now, it's not up to snuff. It's cost us points against Palace and United for starters.

Howard's shot-stopping ability isn't the issue. It's the rest of his game -- command of the area, confidence with crosses and his clearances/goal kicks -- that's come under scrutiny right now. And right now, it's not up to snuff. It's cost us points against Palace and United for starters.
people are also blaming him for gerards free kick in the Derby. I wonder how many blues will be happy when robles starts the next match. Be careful what you wish for.

people are also blaming him for gerards free kick in the Derby. I wonder how many blues will be happy when robles starts the next match. Be careful what you wish for.

He got a hand to that free kick and if he'd been one or two steps to the left to start, he would have saved it. He wasn't properly positioned, from what I saw.

That clearance was hands down the dumbest thing he's done this season. I have no idea what he was thinking - away from goal, with a player down injured, so he decides to pass the ball down the flank to a United player.

Idiot.

It's hard to tell with Roberto. He's so positive about everything that he ends up saying all his players are brilliant, but then he does seem to have just dropped Distin for Stones. I'm not sure I'd back him to pick a good replacement for Howard anyway to be honest.

I disagree. From Howard clearing it there was around 8-10 seconds before it was in the back of the net. His clearance allowed our team enough time to get set defensively again. There were 6 defenders in and around Falcao.

Also, his action was little to different to when quite a few of our defenders just hoofed it upfield throughout the match e.g. Baines when it dropped over his head to Mata at the back post, yet our defenders don't come in for similar criticism.
I think Howard was to blame for the 2nd goal in the same way I think often our forwards are responsible for us conceeding a goal. Under no pressure, and with us needing the ball to go out of play to make a sub, he instead made a pass to an oppenent along the wing.

As you say there were plenty of defenders behind that probably should have done better but that is often true if Lukaku or McGeady gift possession away. I'm sure Tim has yelled at them for unneccessarily testing the defence and that is exactly what he did himself yesterday.

You just replied to my post and mentioned Joel playing against villa
And yes I would you obviously you haven't watched Howard for 8 years if you think he has high standards
Not only does he costs us goals time and time again
how often does he make a great save to win us a game
The balotelli save yes had that gone in we would have lost
But that sums up Howard as a keeper to let a cross come across his box and let the forward have a shot from 5 yards out
A quality keeper takes that ball before balotelli gets anywhere near it
You mention about him coming good the guy is 35/36 he's not going to change any time soon if anything he will get worse
If said this a number times great keepers win you things average ones don't

It's hard to tell with Roberto. He's so positive about everything that he ends up saying all his players are brilliant, but then he does seem to have just dropped Distin for Stones. I'm not sure I'd back him to pick a good replacement for Howard anyway to be honest.

Really think the replacement is Joel.

I'd like to see him replaced, we need a change Tims time has past. Never been more than an average keeper overall.The fact he Couldn't even keep his place over Roy Carroll at Utd tells you that.

I think Howard was to blame for the 2nd goal in the same way I think often our forwards are responsible for us conceeding a goal. Under no pressure, and with us needing the ball to go out of play to make a sub, he instead made a pass to an oppenent along the wing.

As you say there were plenty of defenders behind that probably should have done better but that is often true if Lukaku or McGeady gift possession away. I'm sure Tim has yelled at them for unneccessarily testing the defence and that is exactly what he did himself yesterday.
He was under pressure though, van Persie was chasing him down.

If anyone is to blame it is Jagielka who could have taken command of the situation and ran past Howard to deal with it. He also stood and watched as Falcao peeled off the back of Stones and didn't pick him up.

Just watched the highlights back from MOTD and Howard had 2 saves to make all match both of which he dealt with easily.

If anyone is to blame it is Jagielka who could have taken command of the situation and ran past Howard to deal with it. He also stood and watched as Falcao peeled off the back of Stones and didn't pick him up.

Just watched the highlights back from MOTD and Howard had 2 saves to make all match both of which he dealt with easily.

In that case it would have been easier to knock it into touch, a bit like he usually does when under no pressure and an easy pass is on. I have never rated howard and his dreadfull distribution has swung games against us on numerous occaisions.

You are right, on first viewing I hadn't seen RVP.

But RVP, Jags and Howard all start out at the same time chasing the ball and are about level - why would Howard race out from his area, leaving his goal exposed, to get the ball instead of leaving it to his defender who was alongside tracking it? And despite the pressure from RVP, it was a lot easier given the way he was facing to just kick the ball out for a throw in (allowing our sub) than it was for him to contort his body to boot it upfield keeping it in play.

He made a couple of decent saves but his decision making in the dying minutes of the game to pass to Browning rather than welly it upfield was also questionable.

Howard is in poor form at the moment, not so much his instinctive reactions but his judgement calls on when to come out/stay put. All players have bad patches, it is just very noticeable when goalkeepers do.

Status
Not open for further replies.