Still looking at top 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct, but a win and we're seeded. Makes the last game completely meaningless then.
True but firstly Wolfsburg are a very good team (picked up a lot since our first game against them) AND secondly I am not sure how much of an advantage seeding is. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that you can get UCL team in the next stage?

True but firstly Wolfsburg are a very good team (picked up a lot since our first game against them) AND secondly I am not sure how much of an advantage seeding is. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that you can get UCL team in the next stage?
you can,if we end 2nd,as well as one of the group winners

I'm not saying we haven't had good results, and if you read my post I'm hardly saying I'm annoyed with things. I'm simply saying we haven't reached the performances we managed last year. Even in the Wolfsburg game we spent lots of the game on the back foot and had Howard to thank for being still in it at one point. We've just looked jaded and that's why I think a sustained push at CL this year may be too much to ask for. We still haven't got strength in depth to cope with key players getting injured.

In fairness Chelsea would have suffered with our injuries.

Who knows how much injuries have played a part. Personally I think it's because we never got a replacement for Deulofeu or Pienaar (who looked close to finished last year even when fit).

We just don't look balanced.

For me, our football has been really uninspiring this season. Certainly a step back on what we saw last year, but that IMO is down to the amount of injuries we've had and maybe post- WC blues affecting some players like Lukaku, Barkley etc who were so important last season. In all honesty I can't see us being able to sustain any form that would see us get 4th. Also, I think Martinez is really gearing things towards a push in the Europa. I'm not complaining about that either. It's a competition we can win and we really need to win something to keep our optimism going. Obviously it's also a route into the CL. We really need some defensive back up to be bought in January but from what RM has said, he won't be looking at doing that. Therefore, I think a top half finish and a push at winning the Europa would be decent. High risk though.

can't argue with that, it's not just been the injuries that have caused it though, it was how shaky the defence was. we actually played really well vs chelsea and i doubt anybody else will stick 3 past them this season, we just defended utterly abysmally and it happened a fair few games where teams were having only a couple of shots against us and scoring with them all. Martinez had to reign it in a bit i think regarding how attacking we were because he couldn't trust the defence, i hope with a bit more confidence we can return to the attacking displays of earlier in the season because i think we could wallop a fair few teams.

the injuries though have come to the main players who aid that attacking play. coleman, mccarthy, barkley and mirallas are the pacey players that give us the engine to bomb forward and attack quickly, they've all been in and out through injury and even when they're not injured, they're not 100% fit. i think it was united away they were all missing and we could have still arguably won that game.

personally, 1st and 2nd too far
maybe even 3rd-southampton will eventually fall and descend down the table like many predicted

fourth, 3rd, hell even 2nd doesn't matter-if we can win a trophy ill be awfully happy

if CL is aim, EL is a good way to get in too

im looking at it 5 places up the table ffs

Table position is meaningless at this point in the season. This is prior to the Southampton-Villa match; 7 clubs within 2 points, 4th-10th position.

Screen_Shot_2014_11_24_at_10_56_48_AM.png

This Sunday is a crucial game, we need to beat a rival for confidence and then we have Hull and Q.p.r both at home. I would rest as many as possible for this Europa game, McCarthy and Coleman wouldn't even step onto the plane if it was up to me. If we beat Kraznodar at home then Europa qualification is secured, who cares about an easier next round. We can't get any other English sides yet and the other teams coming from Champions league wouldn't scare me in the slightest. Fourth is more than obtainable just need a run of wins and quickly, if we even manage to get into the top 4 before xmas then I think that will really focus the minds.

Southampton will be outside the top 6 by the first of January.
Their next 8 games are City, Arsenal, United, Burnley, Us, Palace, Chelsea, Arsenal.

They are in 2nd place after playing only 2 of last years top 7 teams. And they lost both of those games to Spurs and Liverpool... who are arguably the two worst performing teams of last years top 7.

I think we're in a better place to challenge for top 4 this year than we were last year and if we managed to win on Thursday and Sunday then I think people will be talking about our season being "kickstarted"..... again.

We can absolutely, definitely, positively still finish 4th.

If our squad stays relatively injury free (LOL) and the players currently injured make it back soonish, we sign 1 or 2 useful players in January then there's no reason why not at all.

This Sunday is a crucial game, we need to beat a rival for confidence and then we have Hull and Q.p.r both at home. I would rest as many as possible for this Europa game, McCarthy and Coleman wouldn't even step onto the plane if it was up to me. If we beat Kraznodar at home then Europa qualification is secured, who cares about an easier next round. We can't get any other English sides yet and the other teams coming from Champions league wouldn't scare me in the slightest. Fourth is more than obtainable just need a run of wins and quickly, if we even manage to get into the top 4 before xmas then I think that will really focus the minds.

Europa league is the equivalent of finishing in the top 3 though not the top 4, thats the comparison that should be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.