Still looking at top 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hinges on 2 things:

1. Who we bring in january, Atsu is a waste of a body and we need a LM coming in at the minimum, would also like to see another ST come in with Kone crocked. If we don't bring another player in then it would be a disgrace as you can bet Utd will buy a whole new defence, the RS will spend as will spurs and arsenal. (I fully expect us not to sign anyone though)

2. Martinez growing some balls. Everyone knows barkley and Naismith ain't working but he hasn't got the guts to throw one on the bench for the sake of the team. It's those sort of moyesque decisions that have hampered us down the years.

Win at Wolfsburg means we could trot out the U18's vs Krasnodar if we wanted to. Would be great since December is packed as it is.

At the moment a lot of clubs are in with a shout, including ourselves.......

It's a mess in the table right now. Add Southampton to the list and it's going to be very interesting very soon:

Pts Position Team
25 2 Southampton
19 5 Manchester United
19 6 Newcastle
18 7 West Ham United
18 8 Swansea
17 9 Arsenal
17 10 Everton
17 11 Spurs
(and of course, perennial league favorites)
14 13 Liverpool

We really need to beat Spurs next week. From what I've seen of them this season there's no reason we can't, just need to not bottle it.

For me, our football has been really uninspiring this season. Certainly a step back on what we saw last year, but that IMO is down to the amount of injuries we've had and maybe post- WC blues affecting some players like Lukaku, Barkley etc who were so important last season. In all honesty I can't see us being able to sustain any form that would see us get 4th. Also, I think Martinez is really gearing things towards a push in the Europa. I'm not complaining about that either. It's a competition we can win and we really need to win something to keep our optimism going. Obviously it's also a route into the CL. We really need some defensive back up to be bought in January but from what RM has said, he won't be looking at doing that. Therefore, I think a top half finish and a push at winning the Europa would be decent. High risk though.

For me, our football has been really uninspiring this season. Certainly a step back on what we saw last year, but that IMO is down to the amount of injuries we've had and maybe post- WC blues affecting some players like Lukaku, Barkley etc who were so important last season. In all honesty I can't see us being able to sustain any form that would see us get 4th. Also, I think Martinez is really gearing things towards a push in the Europa. I'm not complaining about that either. It's a competition we can win and we really need to win something to keep our optimism going. Obviously it's also a route into the CL. We really need some defensive back up to be bought in January but from what RM has said, he won't be looking at doing that. Therefore, I think a top half finish and a push at winning the Europa would be decent. High risk though.

We beat a german side 4-1 at home what more do you want?

this is german side who are 2nd in the bundersliga and who'se country won the last world cup

christ on a bike, you'd think we'd lost to accrington stanley the way your going on

this is german side who are 2nd in the bundersliga and who'se country won the last world cup

christ on a bike, you'd think we'd lost to accrington stanley the way your going on

I'm not saying we haven't had good results, and if you read my post I'm hardly saying I'm annoyed with things. I'm simply saying we haven't reached the performances we managed last year. Even in the Wolfsburg game we spent lots of the game on the back foot and had Howard to thank for being still in it at one point. We've just looked jaded and that's why I think a sustained push at CL this year may be too much to ask for. We still haven't got strength in depth to cope with key players getting injured.

Winning the Europa league is the equivalent of coming in the top 3 don't forget.

If we had to play that playoff round for the Champs League we would have an incredibly tough draw!!

Thats one game and they were very average that night.

We have been very uninspiring this season, no harm in admitting it.

Still a while to go but we will be right in there once again.

Sides like Southampton, Newcastle and West Ham will fall away when they start playing the sides we've played. As long as we can pick up wins when the sides around us don't then brilliant.

Saying all this I'd take bleedin 11th and a trophy.

It's been a combination of European football and big injuries to many key players that has affected our form/results this season. I agree with a previous poster that our football has not been as dynamic as last season. However, I'm delighted to be just 2 points off 4th after 12 games. If we can go into the new year in a similar position and have most of our injured back and fit, I expect us to have a great run in, regardless of Europa togger. The best is yet to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.