Mirror Football's coverage of Everton - a conversation with a top Mirror journo

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's started again....

Apparently Man City are going to bid £35m for Barkley... next summer. Yawn!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-city-ready-up-transfer-4305155?
More worryingly it is alsoin the guardian, Jamie Jackson has decent links to City iirc

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/22/manchester-city-ross-barkley-homegrown-everton
When Pellegrini informed the City hierarchy Barkley was good enough to help the club to win more Premier League titles and to claim a first European Cup, inquiries were made at Everton. Though City valued Barkley at £20m, they were prepared to pay a premium of over £30m to secure his signing but Bill Kenwright, the Everton chairman, quoted a price of £50m for the midfielder, and City decided to put their interest on hold.

However, despite Everton’s valuation it is believed they will sell next summer with the price thought to be negotiable. Barkley, who is sidelined because of a knee injury, signed a four-year contract worth around £60,000 a-week in July, a deal he was offered by the club as they sought to strengthen their bargaining position.

More worryingly it is alsoin the guardian, Jamie Jackson has decent links to City iirc

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/22/manchester-city-ross-barkley-homegrown-everton
When Pellegrini informed the City hierarchy Barkley was good enough to help the club to win more Premier League titles and to claim a first European Cup, inquiries were made at Everton. Though City valued Barkley at £20m, they were prepared to pay a premium of over £30m to secure his signing but Bill Kenwright, the Everton chairman, quoted a price of £50m for the midfielder, and City decided to put their interest on hold.

However, despite Everton’s valuation it is believed they will sell next summer with the price thought to be negotiable. Barkley, who is sidelined because of a knee injury, signed a four-year contract worth around £60,000 a-week in July, a deal he was offered by the club as they sought to strengthen their bargaining position.

It's in every paper tomorrow - Mirror, Star, Mail, Guardian.

Man City have clearly briefed the press as to who their target is. Wanted them to print this info to unsettle Barkley.

Id honestly probably give up if we let him go for 35 mil. Point blank ignore every offer that comes our way unless someone offers stupid money. ie. 50mil and rising

Many things can happen between now and the end of the season.

He signed a new 4 year contract 8 week ago.

“I never thought about (leaving). This contract means everything for me. It is my dream to play for Everton. This is the club I love and I see it as home. We’ve got to push on now and one of the objectives is the Champions League.

“The contract says that we are hoping to push on and win silverware. It shows the club is keeping its best players like it did last season when Leighton Baines, Seamus Coleman and a few others signed new deals. That brings stability and shows we want to push on together.

“I realise the importance of signing because I remember how I felt when Wayne left. He was one of the best players in the team and we thought we could push on with him at Everton. When he left we were all down as Evertonians. I just wanted to sign and hopefully we can push Everton on together.”
----------------------------------------------------
Comments from 2 months ago. Doesn't sound like a player on his way out. He knew City were sniffing around when he said all those things and signed his 4 year deal.

Man City and the media are like little kids stamping their feet until they get what they want. If they really are desperate, they'll pay the £50m. They're backed by a Sheikh, they've not been mingebags in their other transfer dealings.

It's in every paper tomorrow - Mirror, Star, Mail, Guardian.

Man City have clearly briefed the press as to who their target is. Wanted them to print this info to unsettle Barkley.
Yeah, clearly a media brief. With our stadium plans we might not be able to turn down a decent offer either although 30m is far too low since they just spent 32m on Mangala.

Perhaps done to give Yaya a kick up the arse as well...

Yeah, clearly a media brief. With our stadium plans we might not be able to turn down a decent offer either although 30m is far too low since they just spent 32m on Mangala.

Perhaps done to give Yaya a kick up the arse as well...

The club will not sell players to build a stadium.

Certainly not Barkley. The board aren't stupid and know it would cause uproar when they need good PR and high and increasing revenues to encourage institutional loans to fund a stadium.

So calm down.

I really hope you are right Bizzaro.

I know FFP inside out.

If anything we are more likely to get investment now more than ever if planning is granted.

"Investment" being input to build the stadium

To get shares which increase in value

Due to increased profitablity in the club ( SHARES of profit)

Due to higher revenues.

Infrastructure is separate to player expenditure and not FFP limited in any way.

So remain calm. Planning permission is key for us and a good and economic stadium plan in place that boosts revenue into the sky

City can't afford £50m for Barkley, due to FFP.

It would swallow up what they're allowed to pay out in one summer.

Already got their fingers burnt and had their CL squad size reduced as punishment.

Why do you think £35m is being bandied?

Trying to get him on the cheap out of necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.