Mirror Football's coverage of Everton - a conversation with a top Mirror journo

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoysInBlue

Player Valuation: £50m
Whilst waiting for the Lukaku press conference start, I had an interesting Twitter conversation with Martin Lipton, the Chief Football Writer for the Daily Mirror.

In recent days, people have pointed out how ridiculous Mirror Football's transfer news stories are, how they always link Everton players away with moves constantly, nearly all of which never happen. The likes of Coleman, Baines and Barkley in particular were all the subject of false stories (lies?) that had no foundation.

A lot of people were giving Lipton grief, most of it using bad language. I must have been one of the few who didn't which is why he ended up responding to me. Some of what he said spokes volumes.

He maintains Man Utd were talking with Everton over Coleman last Autumn (something you may recall Martinez completely denied and laughed off at an EFC press conference here) :

He also made it clear Stubbs was the sole source for the Baines to Man Utd stories, and that Baines 'wanting out' as per Stubbs interview on Talksport - something Baines later vehemently denied that he ever wanted to leave Everton.

Perhaps the best bit is the Chief Football Writer for the Daily Mirror being completely unaware that Stubbs left Everton over a month ago and now manages Hibernian. It's an interesting look at how they think (I'm @UpperGwladysBlu by the way):

2a61jt4.jpg

Whilst waiting for the Lukaku press conference start, I had an interesting Twitter conversation with Martin Lipton, the Chief Football Writer for the Daily Mirror.

In recent days, people have pointed out how ridiculous Mirror Football's transfer news stories are, how they always link Everton players away with moves constantly, nearly all of which never happen. The likes of Coleman, Baines and Barkley in particular were all the subject of false stories (lies?) that had no foundation.

A lot of people were giving Lipton grief, most of it using bad language. I must have been one of the few who didn't which is why he ended up responding to me. Some of what he said spokes volumes.

He maintains Man Utd were talking with Everton over Coleman last Autumn (something you may recall Martinez completely denied and laughed off at an EFC press conference here) :

He also made it clear Stubbs was the sole source for the Baines to Man Utd stories, and that Baines 'wanting out' as per Stubbs interview on Talksport - something Baines later vehemently denied that he ever wanted to leave Everton.

Perhaps the best bit is the Chief Football Writer for the Daily Mirror being completely unaware that Stubbs left Everton over a month ago and now manages Hibernian. It's an interesting look at how they think (I'm @UpperGwladysBlu by the way):

2a61jt4.jpg

Good that mate and fair play to you for not losing your rag as i would and thats what stops me joining twitter. It shows the lack of research they do, just making up [Poor language removed] time and again.

Well played sir.

You have shown this fella up. Given a 'Journalist' of a national newspaper, an absolute schooling.

This is why I refuse to read/believe any football gossip in the daily rags.

"I don't really care about Scottish div 1" - What a superb attitude from someone who makes a living off of writing football articles.

I know they are all crap, but I wonder if you could give that info to another paper so they could run a headline about the absolutely idiotic Mirror chief

Football journalism by numbers, rehashing other outlets stories without feeling the need to verify it. If it was politics or finance they would have to run everything by lawyers but as it's football any old rubbish will do.

Also his comments on lower league Scottish football (didn't even get the division correct) show the lack of research and most probably interest in doing a decent job.

Watching SSN and regurgitating it as your own is not journalism, it's slightly pathetic.

Football is the new politics. It's impossible to believe a word which comes out of the mouth of anyone involved in the game.

I agree with all that's been said so far and would add the mirror is firmly in the RS camp.

Well played mate. Utter laziness from almost all the red top rags. Others too! To state that he has no interest in teams from lower Scottish leagues is pretty disgraceful considering he's paid to report on Football. Well done again.

2a61jt4.jpg

You should submit that under "the case for the prosecution"

I'm tonight:

images

Cheers lads. Thought you'd find it interesting. It was intriguing how defensive he was about the '4 Mirror stories' picture. You'd think he'd show a bit of humility and just hold his hands up and say 'We got it wrong' but he was adamant about the Coleman and Baines stuff, which is incredible when you think of Martinez' clear denial and also Baines denial a few months later. I think Stubbs no longer being at the club is a positive based on what he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.