Mirror Football's coverage of Everton - a conversation with a top Mirror journo

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the entirety of last season, they actually had a journo, and I use that term loosely, writing a feature/column every Wednesday dedicated to Liverpool. I kid you not. I've linked it on here in the past, but can't find a link now.

EDIT: I'm not talking about ming Kenny either.

I stopped reading after seeing an article by Lawrenson with the headline "Prepare yourselves for the greatest title victory of all time".

Still preparing Lawro................

Commentary is not journalism, it is opinion.

Peter King, Woody Paige, Bill Williamson, etc. in sports. All 'journalists' in America but what we would call commentators over here.

Matt Taibbi. A damn fine writer on finance and politics but committed in a way which is not usually allowed over here. (John Pilger and Robert Fisk are a few of the rare UK examples I can think of over the years.)

American writing can be great. Kissing Suzy Kolber, for example, can have me laughing away over a sport that I haven't really followed since I was in Denver. But journalism, not as we know it, Scotty.

Let's not even get onto the shouty talking-head print journos on TV, hired for their most extreme opinions.

There are fine journalists at work (for example, I remember the Rocky Mountain News and Denver Post coverage of sexual abuse in the military when I was there) but let's not pretend that all is sweetness and light and that US 'journalists' don't spin things their own way to write a good story or to serve whatever purposes they wish for.

I was strictly thinking of actual sports journalists who write for newspapers or report for television, not commentators.

We very rarely have the chance to really enjoy a quality signing these days and our fans are naturally glowing after smashing our transfer record on a top quality striker.

Such a shame then that fans of other clubs, and more disappointingly journalists who really should know better, feeling the need to pi$$ on our fireworks and try and kill the current feel good factor stone dead.

On the issue of Stubbs. He did come out and say that about Baines and I also remember the rumours about Rooney.

It could be the reason why he's no longer at the club. Martinez would be the kind of guy to get rid of someone for this but not to do it in such a public way that it reflected badly on anyone.

I wouldn't necessarily dismiss everything he says as rubbish however he also does choose to post everything he knows however dubious.

There are ex Everton players I don't have much time for, but I genuinely despise Stubbs, a proper lackey who claims to be an Evertonian but in reality acts like a thoroughbred kopite. Horrible backstabber of a 'man'.

Never forget his walking onto the virtual DK pitch in all his glory, webend

I actually find the Times sports section to be pretty unbiased. Not a shock to see a horrible red in charge though, they get everywhere in the media, like peado's but a little less slimey

You only have to watch the unhealthy looking messes on the programme Sky give them on a Sunday morning to know that anything outside the top 4, they haven't got a clue about.

Status
Not open for further replies.