Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 105 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,251 92.3%

• Total voters
Everyone should be sceptical of football club owners - isn't that the lesson of history? The amount of horror stories that have occurred as a result of greedy or malicious governance are there for all to learn from. It's our duty to critique every move. I put it to you that if we saw someone at another club - a billionaire owner - doing what Moshiri is doing in fire-walling himself from any liability from a stadium build and rather exposing their club's revenue for decades in order to get a stadium built - you and others would take a sideways look at it and at the very least state your reservations. I dont care how clever the structure f the deal is, things can and do go wrong. The football bubble is somehow seen as one that can keep on defying the rules of the game and grow exponentially in perpetuity, but it cant. And neither can clubs guarantee that even if it did then it will have its snout in the trough of it.

As for the rest of the shareholders: what's the point of asking questions of them (or shall I say 'more questions')? We know what they are - unfit to govern in every single way (retained by Moshiri and even promoted, btw), so it's like barking at the moon having a go at them. But Moshiri is in charge now. He's been credited with every major move thats happened since he arrived so he carries the weight of this one too.

Bottom line is that we need to remain vigilant, not hand a blank cheque of goodwill to a man we really know next to nothing of in terms of his real intentions with EFC.
Excellent post and bang on the money. We should be looking at these things dispassionately and logically. its great that we've lined up a new stadium on the docks but when details of the finances emerged its legitimate to ask questions about Moshiris role.

Excellent post and bang on the money. We should be looking at these things dispassionately and logically. its great that we've lined up a new stadium on the docks but when details of the finances emerged its legitimate to ask questions about Moshiris role.

Nothing wrong with questioning it, but it doesn't make Moshiri a fraud and it doesn't mean he has done nothing for the club in arranging such a deal. He is doing what he thinks is best for the club.

Most people who have looked at this and are experts in the field are positive about it. If the deal changes to pass through the cabinet, or appease the public then it will need to be looked at again to see it is still beneficial.

Everyone should be sceptical of football club owners - isn't that the lesson of history? The amount of horror stories that have occurred as a result of greedy or malicious governance are there for all to learn from. It's our duty to critique every move. I put it to you that if we saw someone at another club - a billionaire owner - doing what Moshiri is doing in fire-walling himself from any liability from a stadium build and rather exposing their club's revenue for decades in order to get a stadium built - you and others would take a sideways look at it and at the very least state your reservations. I dont care how clever the structure f the deal is, things can and do go wrong. The football bubble is somehow seen as one that can keep on defying the rules of the game and grow exponentially in perpetuity, but it cant. And neither can clubs guarantee that even if it did then it will have its snout in the trough of it.

As for the rest of the shareholders: what's the point of asking questions of them (or shall I say 'more questions')? We know what they are - unfit to govern in every single way (retained by Moshiri and even promoted, btw), so it's like barking at the moon having a go at them. But Moshiri is in charge now. He's been credited with every major move thats happened since he arrived so he carries the weight of this one too.

Bottom line is that we need to remain vigilant, not hand a blank cheque of goodwill to a man we really know next to nothing of in terms of his real intentions with EFC.

There's a distinct difference between scepticism and being deliberately anti.

Why should Moshiri leave himself personally liable for any future liability from the stadium? Why would anyone expect that to happen?
The fact that you have never even acknowledged that him sticking £80m onto the balance sheet was a good thing, shows that you're not merely being someone who is showing healthy scepticism, you're being negative about the man for whatever reason best known to you.

You are not giving the guy a chance to do anything. All you do is moan moan moan and find fault. Nothing he ever does would make you happy. It's pathetic really.

No one is saying don't critique anything but you are obsessive about putting anyone down who isn't kenwright or Martinez.

Tell me Dave, this stadium will be Evertons in the end... so who should pay for it? Yes the club should as it will be a club's assest. If I got a house and someone gave me access to a cheap mortgage would I expect them to pay for it? No I'd pay for my own house. Which is exactly what Everton are doing... paying for their own house.... in a much cheaper way.

Yes there are risks... life is about risk... it's about mitigating that risk... and this deal clearly does that.

As you say you are a simple man so maybe you just don't understand it. Leave it to people who do and take your pathetic pathological hatred of anyone not kenwright or Martinez and keep it to yourself.

Sometimes this site is the definition of the saying "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"!

People caning Mosh because he hasnt spent half his fortune on the ground and on buying twenty £50m players :) I don't ever recall Moshiri saying he would personally fund a ground, i dont recall him ever saying how much money he would put into the pot for players? Other people have said stuff, not him, so far as I am aware, yet he is a liar and a fraud?? Haha!

He's a business man and is using every trick in the book to further us.

No issue at all with what he is doing, it's actually long term a much better model for us. If God forbid he died tomorrow we have a deal in place that is affordable, short term relying on sugar daddy once upon a time meant instant success but with FFP you can't just buy the league these days. You've got to grow as a business and that's what we are doing.

If he can bring in £75m over 5 years for a sleeve and training ground sponsor then you have to be confident the naming rights deal for a ground will be in the pipeline. As has already been mentioned our corporate income will be taken to a new level. The stadium pays for itself, it's a no brainer.

The only point i can make against that is the fact it's not his club, it's half his club. Just a part owner. So why would he plough in more money? He has paid off the debt freeing us from 5-7 million pounds of wasted interest payments every year. (This is 'bad' debt)

Look it this way 3 of us start a business, but me and a n other want you to bank roll everything even though any returns/profits still get equally divvied out.

Don't think you'd like that scenario.
We can only tell how he is if he gains total ownership of the club. You never know if he does he may settle the stadium loan, but if you can finance for 1 point something percent why would you? He would be much better off investing that money in something that gives a better return.

The new stadium will pay for itself, 20k extra seats sold at £35 a pop (remember the new premium offsets cheaper tickets) will generate 13.3m a year with no cup games, not including naming rights, or the extra benefits from a prime location (tours etc.) As years pass ticket prices increase making it more affordable just like when buying a house, salary increases means repayments as a percentage of income come down.

In 20 odd years time inflation dictates the cost of building a new stadium might stand around 600/700 million plus and we will by then owe around 200 million. We do not need champions league to afford this we could carry on like we have always and still be ok.

The small risk is well worth it. Trust the Mosh mate until he gives you a reason not to.
But he's had the option to own more of the club than he does now, so the analogy is bogus.

As for the cost for this stadium: it looks unrealistically low at £350M. I'd expect the cost of any state of the art stadium in a challenging location like that to come in no cheaper than £500M.

Let's face it, although the plan hasn't exactly been done on the back of a beer mat, there is a lot of the Pollyanna about how this scheme rolls out - not least around costs and who pays and how they pay.

Absolutely comedy god this. It's North Korean levels of Kim Jong-un worship.

"His huge contacts book will also open doors to banks, hedge funds, pensions or big insurers, that would otherwise have been closed to Everton. But why hasn’t he just signed a cheque and handed the money over? Because Moshiri has the long-term interests of Everton at heart and at the General Meeting in January he used the words “sustainable” and “sustainability”. Certainly not phrases to send shivers of excitement down your spine, but important ones, because he is not interested in becoming Everton’s Sugar Daddy.

Moshiri wants the club to, one day, be able to stand on its own two feet and so is mindful that however much more of his personal wealth he is prepared to use, it must also be invested into the squad - this way, he can influence matters on the field, but still do so off them as well.
Everton is not an investment opportunity for Moshiri, where he expects to see a financial return. It's a project of passion to help Everton start mixing with the elite again. And so within reason, amid sensible financial planning but also with the injection of not insignificant amounts of his own money, he can give the club the leg-up it needs. Ploughing over £300m of his own fortune into a new stadium is not how this one works."

Gid bless the Echo. Funniest comic around.
lol...you are a real card mate.
Love your work

But he's had the option to own more of the club than he does now, so the analogy is bogus.

As for the cost for this stadium: it looks unrealistically low at £350M. I'd expect the cost of any state of the art stadium in a challenging location like that to come in no cheaper than £500M.

Let's face it, although the plan hasn't exactly been done on the back of a beer mat, there is a lot of the Pollyanna about how this scheme rolls out - not least around costs and who pays and how they pay.
Pollyanna has no show, compared to your Jeremiah

Since he's arrived he has sacked bobby, signed Walsh, signed koeman... the squad has improved and our league placing has also... he's also got us a new ground within a year... something that bill couldn't do in 20 years... he's also cleared the clubs debt... how anyone can complain is beyond me

"Got us the new ground". Erm...

And I have no regard for BK whatsoever, but the Kirkby stadium plan was only stopped through the secretary of state rejecting it. So a little bit further down the line than this present plan.

Pollyanna has no show, compared to your Jeremiah
People want to do the Rafatollah with Moshiri, I guess it's only right we have others who urge caution and tack in the other direction. That might bring some balanced debate about, mightn't it? Or should we all tell him that he's doing a great job when he's done zip?

"Got us the new ground". Erm...

And I have no regard for BK whatsoever, but the Kirkby stadium plan was nly stopped through the secretary of state rejecting it. So a little bit further down the line than this present plan.

Did kenwright deliver a new ground? No.... he actually managed to bottle it twice...

When he originally bought his stake it was widely reported that the agreement to buy up the remaining shares of the other 3 main shareholders had caveats before that could occur.

With the stadium solution being one of them, so he's not ignored an option to buy a larger stake at all.

I think who pays for what and how has been already clearly explained. You might have a point on the costings though, albeit I think £500m is over stating it

Moshiri is a sophisticated operator, the deal he has designed is clever and mitigates risk for him, anyone in his shoes would do the same if they had the nouse and the money. The age of the Bill Kenwright's and Steve Gibson's is at an end at this level, like it or not (and I personally don't) the game is more business than sport now and if we are to compete we need a smart cookie at the helm.