Everton/Celtic or Everton/Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.
'And we hate Bill Shankley and we hate St John, most of all we hate Big Ron and we’ll hang the Kopites one by one, on the banks of the Royal Blue Mersey. Oh to hell with Liverpool and Rangers too, throw them all in the Mersey and we’ll fight fight fight, with all our might for the boys in the Royal Blue jersey!'

^Anti-Rangers in one of our songs there?

well said. If there wasnt a hint of irish/catholic influence in our traditional support why would an old school song like that mention rangers?

i have two scalves and two hats with everton and celtic on them passed on from my dad!

but as reidy say's there is no direct link!

FFS! celtic sing ynwa as well as grandoldteam its all bollox we are everton no affiliation to anyone!

celtic belt that red ****e song out every 5 mins during a game. am catholic but fuk anyone who plays that as there anthem

Personally I would choose Rangers for these two basic reason..

- Blue kits
- American representation

That said I know nothing about the league except the fact that Celtic and Rangers dominate it.

Reidy, you have been well and truly destroyed here :)

Why do u hate the Paddys? I will send me auld lad round to have a word! And he is a mean [Poor language removed] :)

EVERTON/CELTIC

HATE LIVERPOOL/RANGERS

PS. reidy, from my experience on here never has much good to say about anything irish. Just my opinion. Maybe a deep lying chip on his shoulder.mmmm

Reidy, you have been well and truly destroyed here :)

Why do u hate the Paddys? I will send me auld lad round to have a word! And he is a mean [Poor language removed] :)

Absolute Pish lads.
For 1 my surname originates from Ireland* (cork) so there will be a bit of paddy not that far back in my line.
for 2 ... I love spuds.

as for being "destroyed".... Everton are English and not a Catholic Football Club nor a Protestant Football Club, they are Football Club who's only criteria to represent them is that you have to be good enough, although there have been some exceptions to that.

I am not ANTI any country/ person unless they are intolerant of myself/country and wish to destroy either.

Always amazes me the anti-English mentality when you wish to follow one of our teams.

*this is not the Suarez defence line

Alright alright reidy Calm down calm down :)

All joking aside tho, I have no love for the Ingerland team anyways. Never have. Dont really feel English/British. Maybe its cos of me dads family, I dunno, but never owned an england shirt, never went to an england game. Means nothing to me atall.

We had a few Irish players in the 50s and 60s and Liverpool didn't have any so we were the club of choice for the thousands of Irish immigrants. This meant that Liverpool were seen as 'Protestant' and us 'Catholic'. Even though the clubs were seen as linked with one of the two churches and in turn Old Firm clubs, there was never any serious religious divide. Liverpool probably had more Catholic fans than Protestant. Although the religious divide was nothing compared to the one in Glasgow it died out on Merseyside a long time ago - unfortunately the idiot supporters of both Old Firm clubs are stuck in the dark ages.
the answer is in the politics of the board when we split, the red****e board were strongly prodestant tory supporters, the everton fc board although prodestant in the main, had liberal support among its ranks its to early to go into a long history of liverpool politics at the time but thier chairman was backing a hard line prod /tory election and pumping money into it, are board were backing a libral ,they were more open to the catholic community and hence the early support from that community.google it heavy reading in parts if you have an hour or two.
thankfully its all gone these days, RC and liked celtic when i was a kid,but as i got older started to dislike them as much as rangers, both as bad as each other

There two distinctions to be made don't forget. The clubs roots (ie board, admin policies etc), and it's fanbase roots.

We're both yet neither at the same time.

We've also had songs from both Rangers and Celtic origin. I just feel that though Catholic fans shout louder about a connection, whereas Protestant Blues don't make a big deal of it. Either way we have a large contingent from both.

50,s and 60,s i think this was kinda labelled,, at home games the collection box was always rattled outside Goodison by the nuns,,, while outside the swamp it was the Salvation Army.

C,mon the Hibs,,,FFS!!!

Funny the ethnic/religious identity some clubs get in England. Spurs with Jewish people, City I think have that Jewish connection too - they certainly have been owned by Jews in the past, Millwall I think with the Scots (they were set up by Scottish workers in the East End), United the Irish who settled around Salford and that end of 'Manchester', Arsenal and the Irish in Kilburn. I suppose as well as the Catholic stuff Everton had the Welsh connection too. And of course the Viking connection to Lipoolfclad. :p

All a grain of truth in them, but way overemphasised. Best left out of football.

Status
Not open for further replies.