Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has been great this season,
he cant perform miracles every game. He is the best player we have had in a long time, he is world class, any team would be lucky to have him.

If he chooses too with consent of EFC we have to cash in big style his value is going up all the time - Like to see him stay though!

we're going to be dealing with a stone cold ginger killer come January. This guy isn't afraid of putting in low ball bids and letting the pressure mount on the little guy. Expect him to come in at 5, and take it to 6.5 with a take it or leave it on the end day.
He'll be going with what he's got come February mind, but he's still a killer.

I know this is controversial, but seeing him last night made me think we should let him leave if its what he desires. I say this because he was simply superb last night, dispelling fears over his defensive capability by the national media, together with showcasing the talents going forward we see with such regularity.

A footballers career is short, and LB is one of the few players who i wouldnt begrudge, at the age of 28, leaving for a title-chasing club as well as the opportunity to show his talents in the champions league.

Just saying like, but he would get my total blessing.

His value must be rocketing, having now become the first choice English national left back!

What was once 20m in the summer must surely now be double that!

I know this is controversial, but seeing him last night made me think we should let him leave if its what he desires. I say this because he was simply superb last night, dispelling fears over his defensive capability by the national media, together with showcasing the talents going forward we see with such regularity.

A footballers career is short, and LB is one of the few players who i wouldnt begrudge, at the age of 28, leaving for a title-chasing club as well as the opportunity to show his talents in the champions league.

Just saying like, but he would get my total blessing.

We're a CL chasing team though. Why would we let him go? And he'd be guaranteed nothing at United other than a run out as Evra's understudy for now.

Offer him a bumper wage and sign him for the remaining couple of years he has at the top.

We're a CL chasing team though. Why would we let him go? And he'd be guaranteed nothing at United other than a run out as Evra's understudy for now.

Offer him a bumper wage and sign him for the remaining couple of years he has at the top.
Amen brother

I see what your saying, and I believe you are absolutely correct - we are a champions league chasing club. If he was 25/26 with time on his side then try and get him to buy into the fact that he should join us in the adventure for a few years and hopefully within that time-frame we will bag CL.

I think what im trying to say is, I wish this Martinez style, which ive completely bought into, had come a few years ago. Instead we rigidly stuck with what we thought was working, and really, if we are honest, we all knew Moyes had a glass ceiling of 7th/8th.

My point, to avoid is sounding like an anti-moyes post, is that if i was Leighton, i would be thinking that in the 3 years i have left at my peak, it would be nice to be guaranteed champions league football, genuine chances in the cups, and a shot at winning the league.

If he is thinking that, then we should let him have his wish. We are a work in progress, and the lad deserves to have a few years at the very top, rather than battling with 4th/5th/6th and 7th with us.

Also mate, i dont want to sound confrontational, but I totally disagree with this. Evra is well and truly spent as a force. It would take 10 games and Baines would be their number one Left Back.

I simply don't understand why the general footballing consensus still places Ashley Cole ahead of Baines when it comes to England.

Baines has already surpassed Coles stats for England. Baines has 21 caps and Cole 105. They are not even comparable.

The stats below are pre Montenegro so add another assist for Baines.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24404583

I simply don't understand why the general footballing consensus still places Ashley Cole ahead of Baines when it comes to England.

Baines has already surpassed Coles stats for England. Baines has 21 caps and Cole 105. They are not even comparable.

The stats below are pre Montenegro so add another assist for Baines.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24404583
The general consensus I've been reading/hearing is that Leighton is ahead of Cole. You've been watching Chelsea tv haven't you?

even if you think cole is better than baines defensively, its very close, but going forward they are light years apart, anyone arguing for cole hasnt gt the first clue, it'd be like those mugs who wanted hibbert over coleman last season, baines adds a totally new dimension

The general consensus I've been reading/hearing is that Leighton is ahead of Cole. You've been watching Chelsea tv haven't you?

Ha ha. I most certainly have not been watching ChelseaTV. Maybe the tide is turning then but I thought most pundits placed Cole slightly ahead due to marginally "better" defensive qualities. I hope he doesn't but I bet Cole still starts in Brazil.

even if you think cole is better than baines defensively, its very close, but going forward they are light years apart, anyone arguing for cole hasnt gt the first clue, it'd be like those mugs who wanted hibbert over coleman last season, baines adds a totally new dimension

Yep, totally agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.