Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'd opt for the horses for corsets route myself. It seems pointless to have an exceptional defender against a team that won't test him anyway and he will offer far less going forward.

And vice versa. Pointless having one of the best attacking left backs in the world on the pitch if you're having around 30% possession.

And vice versa. Pointless having one of the best attacking left backs in the world on the pitch if you're having around 30% possession.

Depends at what stage the game is, if you're defending a lead late in the game, then you want your best defenders on. However, if you're under pressure earlier in the game, having an attacking outlet from fullback can help you regain the initiative.

Yeah I'd opt for the horses for corsets route myself. It seems pointless to have an exceptional defender against a team that won't test him anyway and he will offer far less going forward.

sarah_jessica_parker_lace_cors.jpg

Wait that's more of a corset for horses, nvm

...I was thinking that Baines looked so good in those international games that the real big clubs could be added to his list of admirers. Man Utd could well have competition from Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern. He's looking top, top drawer.

...I was thinking that Baines looked so good in those international games that the real big clubs could be added to his list of admirers. Man Utd could well have competition from Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern. He's looking top, top drawer.

madrid have marcelo...

But...

I see what your saying, and I believe you are absolutely correct - we are a champions league chasing club. If he was 25/26 with time on his side then try and get him to buy into the fact that he should join us in the adventure for a few years and hopefully within that time-frame we will bag CL.

I think what im trying to say is, I wish this Martinez style, which ive completely bought into, had come a few years ago. Instead we rigidly stuck with what we thought was working, and really, if we are honest, we all knew Moyes had a glass ceiling of 7th/8th.

My point, to avoid is sounding like an anti-moyes post, is that if i was Leighton, i would be thinking that in the 3 years i have left at my peak, it would be nice to be guaranteed champions league football, genuine chances in the cups, and a shot at winning the league.

If he is thinking that, then we should let him have his wish. We are a work in progress, and the lad deserves to have a few years at the very top, rather than battling with 4th/5th/6th and 7th with us.

...Manure are also CL chasing club this year.

Depends at what stage the game is, if you're defending a lead late in the game, then you want your best defenders on. However, if you're under pressure earlier in the game, having an attacking outlet from fullback can help you regain the initiative.

In relatively evenly balanced games of course. Against your Spain's and Germany's (very top end of the game but that's what we would be talking about at some point in the WC) I would be worried about Baines. Don't get me wrong I love him to bits but at times last night he got the ball in good positions and tried to force the issue with a cross when it wasn't really on, 2 or 3 of which hit the first man.

You get away with that against 99% of teams in the world but the best ones will hurt us and exploit him being out of position.

In relatively evenly balanced games of course. Against your Spain's and Germany's (very top end of the game but that's what we would be talking about at some point in the WC) I would be worried about Baines. Don't get me wrong I love him to bits but at times last night he got the ball in good positions and tried to force the issue with a cross when it wasn't really on, 2 or 3 of which hit the first man.

You get away with that against 99% of teams in the world but the best ones will hurt us and exploit him being out of position.

Baines won't be pushing forward as much against better teams and he's a superb defender who can deal with pretty much anyone, so we'll have no problems with him there. Also, he was out of options at times and so had to force the issue because he had Danny Welbeck playing alongside him and Sturridge wasn't up to much last night.

I thought his delivery was a tad off, by his standards last night. Says a lot that he still provided the best delivery of the night and got an assist for it. He usually whips in three or four of them a game.

To point him out as a weak point of England's team, in any respect, is to overlook the many other significantly weaker areas of the team.

Baines won't be pushing forward as much against better teams and he's a superb defender who can deal with pretty much anyone, so we'll have no problems with him there. Also, he was out of options at times and so had to force the issue because he had Danny Welbeck playing alongside him and Sturridge wasn't up to much last night.

I thought his delivery was a tad off, by his standards last night. Says a lot that he still provided the best delivery of the night and got an assist for it. He usually whips in three or four of them a game.

To point him out as a weak point of England's team, in any respect, is to overlook the many other significantly weaker areas of the team.

Wouldn't say he's the weakest by any stretch. Could have been lack of options but agree that his delivery was off. Under Martinez he will learn to come back if it isn't on though and that will help his game hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.