Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to give it to Hodgson for this one.

Never had a problem in picking Baines and has allowed him to do his job like he does here at Everton. If anyone ever remembers his performances under Capello you can't half notice a difference, under him he hardly crossed the half-way line...although it didn't help that he had Johnny Discipline Gerrard playing wide left with him sometimes...

Got to give it to Hodgson for this one.

Never had a problem in picking Baines and has allowed him to do his job like he does here at Everton. If anyone ever remembers his performances under Capello you can't half notice a difference, under him he hardly crossed the half-way line...although it didn't help that he had Johnny Discipline Gerrard playing wide left with him sometimes...
even now he has Grimbeck in front of him, imagine if he had someone half decent to link up with

Also mate, i dont want to sound confrontational, but I totally disagree with this. Evra is well and truly spent as a force. It would take 10 games and Baines would be their number one Left Back.

not saying much but evra has been one of utds best players so far this season.

The general consensus I've been reading/hearing is that Leighton is ahead of Cole. You've been watching Chelsea tv haven't you?

Ray Wilkins was on that sunday morning programme with kamara, it was brought up, and Wilkins, basically said cole is by far the better player, shows what he knows then.

I simply don't understand why the general footballing consensus still places Ashley Cole ahead of Baines when it comes to England.

Baines has already surpassed Coles stats for England. Baines has 21 caps and Cole 105. They are not even comparable.

The stats below are pre Montenegro so add another assist for Baines.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24404583

I'd play Baines in any game where we are likely to have the lions share of possession. In the games we are likely to spend huge chunks of the game defending I'd start Cole. Say what you like about him ff the pitch but he's consistently proved he can keep the best wingers in the world quiet. In even games I genuinely don't know who to pick.

Ray Wilkins was on that sunday morning programme with kamara, it was brought up, and Wilkins, basically said cole is by far the better player, shows what he knows then.

That's the same as asking me who I think is better. lol

F that bald-headed coot. Baines is the best left back in the world, end of.

I'd play Baines in any game where we are likely to have the lions share of possession. In the games we are likely to spend huge chunks of the game defending I'd start Cole. Say what you like about him ff the pitch but he's consistently proved he can keep the best wingers in the world quiet. In even games I genuinely don't know who to pick.
Yeah I'd opt for the horses for corsets route myself. It seems pointless to have an exceptional defender against a team that won't test him anyway and he will offer far less going forward.

Funny isn't it how England is suddenly blessed with loads of quality left backs... Cole, Baines, Luke Shaw will undoubtedly step in once Cole and Baines are out of the picture in a few years. If only our Leighton was a few years younger, he'd have had that left back slot his own for yonks. I'm hoping he can be the first choice regular for two or three years like, but we'll see. That's down to the manager. He's clearly, by far, the right man for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.