Your Memories Of Your Favourite Football Hardman `Bernie The Bolt Wright`

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember him playing for Everton as I was too young but If I remember correctly he played up at Port Vale . I like the Vale . Some great fans compared to the neighbours .

Comments:VIA port vale

A striker who was signed by Dennis Butler from Bradford City for a £9,000 fee. He rapidly became a crowd favourite after he scored a hat-trick against Crewe Alexandra.

He finished as top scorer in the 1978–79 season with 15 strikes in 48 games, and was voted Player of the Year.

However, he was selected less frequently in 1979-80 and was transferred-listed after an argument with manager John McGrath. He was handed a free transfer in 1980.

Comments:VIA port vale

A striker who was signed by Dennis Butler from Bradford City for a £9,000 fee. He rapidly became a crowd favourite after he scored a hat-trick against Crewe Alexandra.

He finished as top scorer in the 1978–79 season with 15 strikes in 48 games, and was voted Player of the Year.

However, he was selected less frequently in 1979-80 and was transferred-listed after an argument with manager John McGrath. He was handed a free transfer in 1980.

...I presume that’s the same McGrath who played for Southampton. McGrath v Bernie Wright sounds like a perfect storm.

yes mate southamton newcastle and bury as a player , vale , preston as manager - i dont know anything about him , was he a bit of a lad then

...I presume that’s the same McGrath who played for Southampton. McGrath v Bernie Wright sounds like a perfect storm.
yes it is , just reading he walked into vale and lay the law down , then he listed 15 player lol , thats management for you , i like his stlye

just picked this up from walsall vs leeds : I remember a game, when I was standing at the Hilary ST. end when Colin took a free kick, he smashed the ball into the back of the net, and the referee slowly walked to the back of the goal and checked the net for damage absolutely wonderful. Whilst on, there have been one or two comments about Bernie Wright, I am not sure which season maybe 73/4?, but anyway we were playing Leeds in a pre-season friendly and near to where I was standing Bernie went into a 50/50 with Norman Hunter , Bernie ended up in a heap on the floor, he jumped and nose to nose with Hunter wagged a finger in Hunter’s face. A little later after half time they met together again, ‘hardman’ Hunter fell to the floor and was stretchered off muttering 'nutter ', priceless.

just picked this up from walsall vs leeds : I remember a game, when I was standing at the Hilary ST. end when Colin took a free kick, he smashed the ball into the back of the net, and the referee slowly walked to the back of the goal and checked the net for damage absolutely wonderful. Whilst on, there have been one or two comments about Bernie Wright, I am not sure which season maybe 73/4?, but anyway we were playing Leeds in a pre-season friendly and near to where I was standing Bernie went into a 50/50 with Norman Hunter , Bernie ended up in a heap on the floor, he jumped and nose to nose with Hunter wagged a finger in Hunter’s face. A little later after half time they met together again, ‘hardman’ Hunter fell to the floor and was stretchered off muttering 'nutter ', priceless.
and an inside forward, Bernie Wright, whom I nicknamed The Stoker because he seemed to be as tough and indefatigable as an old ship’s boiler – a human template for Bobby Campbell, who was to come. I was especially pleased when Bernie barged his way through to batter in a scoring shot.

and an inside forward, Bernie Wright, whom I nicknamed The Stoker because he seemed to be as tough and indefatigable as an old ship’s boiler – a human template for Bobby Campbell, who was to come. I was especially pleased when Bernie barged his way through to batter in a scoring shot.
Was it Nick Athey’s testimonial? If so my abiding memory was of Bernie Wright flattening Terry Yorath , yorath complained to the referee, 7 minutes later bernie went in for a 50/50 but added 12 studs this time, yorath yelped in pain as bernie walked off laughing and Yorath was subbed before he was sent off. Mind you, looking for retribution on Bernie wouldn’t have been the wisest thing to do , basic on pitch suicide .

Was it Nick Athey’s testimonial? If so my abiding memory was of Bernie Wright flattening Terry Yorath , yorath complained to the referee, 7 minutes later bernie went in for a 50/50 but added 12 studs this time, yorath yelped in pain as bernie walked off laughing and Yorath was subbed before he was sent off. Mind you, looking for retribution on Bernie wouldn’t have been the wisest thing to do , basic on pitch suicide .
back in 1972 I thought Bernie Wright looked more like a Rugby League player than a Footballer! And I still think that !! I think we beat Saints and Wigan for his signature !!

Where you at Goodison when he made his full debut/home debut v Man City? I think he smacked Mike Summerbee in the face and the Ref missed it !!!Towards the end of that season ( 1971-72) we made Captain Mainwaring's Home Guard look like a well oiled machine we were that bad. Thank goodness Howard Kendall was still around - one of the few highlights was his form. As for Bernie - well I think milk could turn faster than him!!! however in saying that bernie`s left hook is one of the fastest things ive ever seen on a football pitch and the thud was also one of the loudest.

b10.jpg

b6.jpg

back in 1972 I thought Bernie Wright looked more like a Rugby League player than a Footballer! And I still think that !! I think we beat Saints and Wigan for his signature !!

Where you at Goodison when he made his full debut/home debut v Man City? I think he smacked Mike Summerbee in the face and the Ref missed it !!!Towards the end of that season ( 1971-72) we made Captain Mainwaring's Home Guard look like a well oiled machine we were that bad. Thank goodness Howard Kendall was still around - one of the few highlights was his form. As for Bernie - well I think milk could turn faster than him!!! however in saying that bernie`s left hook is one of the fastest things ive ever seen on a football pitch and the thud was also one of the loudest.
Legend has it that marsh attempted to confront bernie in the players lounge, however he was given 30 seconds to leave the premises by bernie or would be shown the door personally, with that marsh quickly left and never looked back.

yes mate southamton newcastle and bury as a player , vale , preston as manager - i dont know anything about him , was he a bit of a lad then

....Southampton had a bit of a reputation at one time of being a bit of a ‘yard dog’ team and McGrath was the CB with a tough reputation. Saying that, the game was tougher in the 60s/70s. McGrath hitched his shorts up and had these massive thighs, funny really.

afternoon everyone , come on load up some stories - im getting tons on the walsall site.

Is Bernie your old man mate ?
I never saw him play live, but he was a right character by all accounts.

Edit : Only just seen the first post ! Ignore that question.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.