Your Memories Of Your Favourite Football Hardman `Bernie The Bolt Wright`

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems you have inherited his sense of humour lol He was far from good. Having said that he got to pull on that blue jersey and that's something that the vast majority of us could only dream about.
I saw him play and it's true to say that his enthusiasm outweighed his ability. For those too young to remember him, think an early 1970s version of Denis Stracqualursi.
God bless you Bernie ;)

Ha Ha a hefty pair of thighs on him OK ;)
true lad , but when he left he was no longer facing the class in training or in games , so going back to div3 and div4 must have been a doddle

Reactions: kev
just picked this up from walsall vs leeds : I remember a game, when I was standing at the Hilary ST. end when Colin took a free kick, he smashed the ball into the back of the net, and the referee slowly walked to the back of the goal and checked the net for damage absolutely wonderful. Whilst on, there have been one or two comments about Bernie Wright, I am not sure which season maybe 73/4?, but anyway we were playing Leeds in a pre-season friendly and near to where I was standing Bernie went into a 50/50 with Norman Hunter , Bernie ended up in a heap on the floor, he jumped and nose to nose with Hunter wagged a finger in Hunter’s face. A little later after half time they met together again, ‘hardman’ Hunter fell to the floor and was stretchered off muttering 'nutter ', priceless.

• Haha
Reactions: kev
another from walsall :

Bizarre Walsall matches
All about Walsall
Feb '19 - ...er a testimonial match in 70s , against Leeds. Think it was for Nick Atthey. Leeds had a european cup final coming up shortly. Not that that bothered Bernie Wright ,who, early on clattered Terry Yorath. Yorath walked off, making “psycho” gestures , and tapping the side of his head, towards Lord Bernard Wright. If so my abiding memory was of Bernie Wright flattening Terry Yorath and Yorath being subbed before he was sent off. Mind you, looking for retribution on Bernie wouldn’t have been the wised move , like personal on pitch suicide

Last edited:

Sadly I can’t remember the game, not long after Bernie signed for us. One of our players got fouled and The Bolt ran 30 yards and punched the offender behind the refs back. Got away with it too, loved him for standing up for his team, despite his low ability level. Everton was a club too high for him, but he gave everything, every time.

I used to have the occasional drink with Ronnie Goodlass and Alan Wilson who "alleged" your Dad turned up that day wearing a ripped jumper and most part finished bottle of Ozzy Whites...
true as im sitting here that 1 now i belive he slept on a park bench that night as well

Sadly I can’t remember the game, not long after Bernie signed for us. One of our players got fouled and The Bolt ran 30 yards and punched the offender behind the refs back. Got away with it too, loved him for standing up for his team, despite his low ability level. Everton was a club too high for him, but he gave everything, every time.
nice 1 , its all good stuff m8
FB_IMG_1593116657072.jpg

true lad , but when he left he was no longer facing the class in training or in games , so going back to div3 and div4 must have been a doddle
you gonna have to tell me who Denis Stracqualursi is now ----- old player or more modern , can i you tube him

i will try n find him got a forward ,, x tigre , cant be too bad tigre

Last edited:
His shirt semed to be skin tight. Always looked miles too small for him seem to remember him scoring a diving header in one game for us.
Other memory I have I was probably about 12 waiting outside goodison for autographs. Got a few including his. His was the only one that you could make out the name. Took his time and chatted to us. Nice moment for a couple of young fans

His shirt semed to be skin tight. Always looked miles too small for him seem to remember him scoring a diving header in one game for us.
Other memory I have I was probably about 12 waiting outside goodison for autographs. Got a few including his. His was the only one that you could make out the name. Took his time and chatted to us. Nice moment for a couple of young fans
he will love this post , thank you , see he was alright really , i know his signature is easy , ive forged it a few times
b6.jpg
b10.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.