2018/19 Yerry Mina

Status
Not open for further replies.
How so?

He was mostly solid. In fact, on his debut at Stamford Bridge he was excellent and in the game at Goodison against Chelsea (which started our good run at the end of the season) he was very good too. He'd have stayed in the side had he not got injured on international duty.

He's coming off the back of a very good performance in the Copa America and he now knows the club. He's settled and doesn't have an injury to deal with and will probably get at least 2 games under his belt before the season starts.

Yeh, I wanted us to sign Zouma and we definitely need another CB, but it's not a slate against Mina. We just need three players to offer three different things so need a player with a bit more pace to come in.

But Mina has plenty of good qualities. He made two mistakes that stand out last season - the clearance against Man City (A) and the bad missed header against Millwall. Every other performance was on the whole, solid. In fact, he was involved in a lot less howlers than Zouma was overall (albeit he played less games!).

The main thing last season was fitness. But that wasn't really in his control. Hopefully with a better pre-season under his belt (he didn't have that last season) we don't have to worry about that as much.

Two big mistakes in 15 games isn't a ratio i'd like to see continue.

Oh well, hard to say how he'll get on but not convinced in the slightest that he'll be a beacon of stability this season.

Does he speak good enough English yet ? I do think this could hinder him in his position. You need good communication at the back especially

Oh well, hard to say how he'll get on but not convinced in the slightest that he'll be a beacon of stability this season.

Well Zouma made a hell of a lot more mistakes in the same space of games, ,mate. So did Keane.

yeh, he definitely needs a guiding player next to him (but hopefully in Keane he has that). But he's 24. He's got plenty of time to improve and he's got a lot of quality.

Zouma is definitely not a 'stable' player, either. Both Zouma and Mina are aggressive, front-foot defenders, which is why they didn't work together at all when they played.

Not all mistakes lead to goals and sometimes you're just unlucky.

Funes Mori used to make 2/3 big mistakes EVERY GAME but I don't remember any of them leading to a goal.

You also have to factor in that he was new to the league and that he never played enough games to get truly match fit. Over half the games he started were away to top 6 clubs too.

Didn't Colombia go their entire copa america without conceding or did I imagine that? He's gotta get a lot of credit if so

Status
Not open for further replies.