Yakubu v Saha

Who was the better striker before Moyes destroyed them?

• Yakubu

• Saha

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely loved Yakubu. So cool and calm in front of goal. With Cahill just behind, it provided me with some of the better memories of being an Evertonian.

Saha was good, just wish he played more.

Very tough call on these two. The Yak was an absolute beast of a player, with real power and finishing ability, plus that majestic smile. The King was technically almost flawless but sickeningly injury-ravaged ( I imagine he is gutted every time he looks back over what might've been if he'd stayed fit).

The perfect striker would have been a combination of the two....The Yaha or The Sahkubu.

By the finest of margins I plumped for The Yak.....just.s

Surprised at the love for Saha. Seeing him with Cahill behind for those last couple of years was painful to watch.

Yeah this, he truly stunk tbh. People only recall the Blackpool game and the first half of the 09/10 season when they think of Saha though, for the most part he was actually largely gash for us.

Seeing flashes of Saha when he was at the arse end of his career really showed how good he would have been in his prime. As mentoned, seeing him and cahill up top was bad to watch.

Yakubu was Yakubu, fantastic finisher and just as calm as you like. Wonder how old he actually was when he signed

Yak was immense. Saha's time with us we so over-rated.

He once went 24 gams without a goal.....then got a few against Blackpool and was hailed as a worldie!!

Good player in his day, but that was well before he come to us.

We were going places in 07/08 when Yakubu signed. Moyes had done brilliantly to build a competitive side with no money. The one time he got to splurge he splurged all over the Yak and it paid off huge the following year.

Then Yak, Arteta, and Jagielka all went down with long term injuries as they were each hitting their prime. Our best player up front, in midfield, and in defence respectively. We were still competitive and might have even won the cup in 09 if we'd been luckier but it's hard to do anything without your best players. Shame that.

I don't like being negative on a thread where there are a lot of positive comments for a change but I have a different view on Yakubu...I don't get the fond memories on here of him when judging him over his whole Everton career. Of course in that one season he was great, and his eye for goal was something we've not seen that often in the PL era.

But for most of his time here, especially after that first prolific season, I just remember him being lazy and someone who didn't give his all. It's also noticeable that he missed a lot of games.

Gong off Wikipedia, he had one great season for us, followed by an injury hit next few seasons where his goal scoring record deteriorated a lot.

07-08: 21 in 39
08-09: 5 in 17
09-10: 6 in 36
10-11 - 1 in 15

His overall record for us is pretty good (33 in 107) which is almost 1 in 3, but that's largely thanks to his prolific first season. In the next 3 he managed 12 in 68 which is a little bit better than 1 in 6 which is poor for a supposed top striker.

Compare that to Lukaku whose record is 68 in 137 which is 1 in 2, with all 4 seasons seeing a decent goals to game ratio unlike Yakubu.

If Yakubu was playing now he'd be slaughtered by our fanbase as well, at least "online" as our fans since Martinez' first season have turned in to the biggest moaners in the league, rivalling Arsenal in the "we're so hard done to and everything is so unfair" stakes.

I don't like being negative on a thread where there are a lot of positive comments for a change but I have a different view on Yakubu...I don't get the fond memories on here of him when judging him over his whole Everton career. Of course in that one season he was great, and his eye for goal was something we've not seen that often in the PL era.

But for most of his time here, especially after that first prolific season, I just remember him being lazy and someone who didn't give his all. It's also noticeable that he missed a lot of games.

Gong off Wikipedia, he had one great season for us, followed by an injury hit next few seasons where his goal scoring record deteriorated a lot.

07-08: 21 in 39
08-09: 5 in 17
09-10: 6 in 36
10-11 - 1 in 15

His overall record for us is pretty good (33 in 107) which is almost 1 in 3, but that's largely thanks to his prolific first season. In the next 3 he managed 12 in 68 which is a little bit better than 1 in 6 which is poor for a supposed top striker.

Compare that to Lukaku whose record is 68 in 137 which is 1 in 2, with all 4 seasons seeing a decent goals to game ratio unlike Yakubu.

If Yakubu was playing now he'd be slaughtered by our fanbase as well, at least "online" as our fans since Martinez' first season have turned in to the biggest moaners in the league, rivalling Arsenal in the "we're so hard done to and everything is so unfair" stakes.

He was back then mate, that's first season as immense. That injury killed him.

The irony is that we had agreed to sell him for £18 million to Spurs, then he got injured.

So either way....we would never had Yak again.

He was back then mate, that's first season as immense. That injury killed him.

The irony is that we had agreed to sell him for £18 million to Spurs, then he got injured.

So either way....we would never had Yak again.

He rattled in 18 goals for Blackburn when we let him go like....

He rattled in 18 goals for Blackburn when we let him go like....

And 11 in 20 for Leicester, albeit in the Championship.

Seems as if he can be arsed for the first season and then he loses interest or is injury prone. Obviously a prolific scorer on his day but always thought there was a lack of effort with him after that first season.

All round game I would say Saha, there were games I watched were he was brilliant and won the games single handed. But he was just too injured and was probably out for 10 premier league games a season. He had 97 appearances in 5 years and scored 27 goals.

Yakubu on the other hand was a straight up finisher, when you play with him he just hangs round in the box and you need to get the ball to him. He scored 21 in his first season when we used him properly, then he got accused of being "lazy" and was asked to come deep for the ball and track back and it just wasn't part of his game

Status
Not open for further replies.