Worrying trend on injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiny_jacky

Player Valuation: £950k
According to InjuryLeague, the following data is the statistics of the total number of weeks missed for all players due to injuries.
2010/11: 128 (11th)
2011/12: 126 (14th)
2012/13: 108 (17th)
2013/14: 194 (4th)
2014/15: 244 (3rd)
2015/16: 42 (1st)
q1kqVk.jpg

It indicates a clear trend that our injuries are getting more frequent. Therefore even that our squad size increased significantly in the last few years, the squad depth is never deep enough.

How we managed to get all left backs(Baines, Oviedo, Galloway) and all left midfielders (Pienaar, Osman, Cleverley) injured is Fascinating/Incredible/Phenomenal.

According to InjuryLeague, the following data is the statistics of the total number of weeks missed for all players due to injuries.
2010/11: 128 (11th)
2011/12: 126 (14th)
2012/13: 108 (17th)
2013/14: 194 (4th)
2014/15: 244 (3rd)
2015/16: 42 (1st)
q1kqVk.jpg

It indicates a clear trend that our injuries are getting more frequent. Therefore even that our squad size increased significantly in the last few years, the squad depth is never deep enough.

How we managed to get all left backs(Baines, Oviedo, Galloway) and all left midfielders (Pienaar, Osman, Cleverley) injured is Fascinating/Incredible/Phenomenal.

true that we are getting more injuries but have to factor in since Martinez arrived that the overall size of the squad has got progressively laregr each season too - also he took over a squad with a LARGE number of ageing players in it, more players = more chances of injury etc

it isnt normal for a club to pick up so many little injuries, have said this for a while now.

Going back a fair few years ago newcastle ere picking up injuries and they actually came out and said it was the training ground they had installed that was the cause of it.

I wonder if wer have something similar?

true that we are getting more injuries but have to factor in since Martinez arrived that the overall size of the squad has got progressively laregr each season too - also he took over a squad with a LARGE number of ageing players in it, more players = more chances of injury etc
Agreed that the aging squad is part of the issues, especially for the last season. However given that there are a lot of young players (Deulofeu Cleverley Mori Rodriguez) with the departure of Distin and Alcaraz, the amount of injuries is still climbing up.
I don't see a direct relationship between squad size and the amount of injuries, as the amount of game time on the pitch wont get longer when squad size increses, while contribution of injuries caused by international duties or training is relatively limited.

Agreed that the aging squad is part of the issues, especially for the last season. However given that there are a lot of young players (Deulofeu Cleverley Mori Rodriguez) with the departure of Distin and Alcaraz, the amount of injuries is still climbing up.
I don't see a direct relationship between squad size and the amount of injuries, as the amount of game time on the pitch wont get longer when squad size increses, while contribution of injuries caused by international duties or training is relatively limited.

Dunno if stats will back me up on this mate, but seem to remember reading that sub 22/23 (body still maturing, putting weight on etc) and post 30 (wear and tear) the injury rates for players increases, so guess not a surprise we are high in that list as think most of our players fall into those categories - we don't have many in the 23/24-30 range really

Also doesn't help we have basically three players who are effectively permanently injured in Pienaar, Gibson and Hibbert - throw in a couple of long term 'unlucky' injuries that could happen to anyone and it pushes our numbers up hugely (Oviedo's break, Kone blowing his knee out etc)

We've always struggled with injuries. There was a period when Arteta could never make a derby match (didn't Hibbert break his rib one year). We then had the quadruple ligament curse of 09 where leading up to the cup final we lost the entire spine of our team Jagielka Arteta and Yakubu to cruciates and also Anichebe all with a similar injury which was unbelievable. Pienaar and Givson have pretty much missed the last 18 months of football (will we see either this season?) and of course we had Mirsllas' imaginary hamstring injuries plus our usual key injury in any derby match: Cahill, Arteta, Mirallas (twice), Lukaku all stretchered off in a derby. We are a ridiculous club really when it comes to injuries. Haven't even mentioned Hibberts three year long tropical flu.

Dunno if stats will back me up on this mate, but seem to remember reading that sub 22/23 (body still maturing, putting weight on etc) and post 30 (wear and tear) the injury rates for players increases, so guess not a surprise we are high in that list as think most of our players fall into those categories - we don't have many in the 23/24-30 range really

Also doesn't help we have basically three players who are effectively permanently injured in Pienaar, Gibson and Hibbert - throw in a couple of long term 'unlucky' injuries that could happen to anyone and it pushes our numbers up hugely (Oviedo's break, Kone blowing his knee out etc)
It's true that we squad age is still relatively high in the league (around the 5th oldest squad I think), and the injuries for Oviedo and Kone are unlucky. However, we were expecting a comeback from Oviedo since the pre-season.... in the last season! The fact he still haven't managed to play in a run of successive games is really disappointing, even with the type of injury taken into consideration. And when you consider that Osman and Pienaar is basically out for a whole season, Oviedo, Kone, Gibson and Hibbert basically out for two seasons, I can't stop thinking that something other than luck is causing it.

It's true that we squad age is still relatively high in the league (around the 5th oldest squad I think), and the injuries for Oviedo and Kone are unlucky. However, we were expecting a comeback from Oviedo since the pre-season.... in the last season! The fact he still haven't managed to play in a run of successive games is really disappointing, even with the type of injury taken into consideration. And when you consider that Osman and Pienaar is basically out for a whole season, Oviedo, Kone, Gibson and Hibbert basically out for two seasons, I can't stop thinking that something other than luck is causing it.

Nah any knee injury like Kone had and horror break like Ovieodo had mate can be a nightmare to recover from and requires luck in no infection or compensating injury occurring, the biggest worry for me is not any of those freak injuries and the length of recovery from them but more the spate of hamstring injuries we have been getting for ages now, and thats much more likely to be down to training practises

Hibbert, Gibson & Pienaar have all been pretty much injured for the last 3 years.
The only thing that has made the rise in that table is the large contracts these players are on.

Status
Not open for further replies.