Wools - Why are you an Evertonian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bollocks, my Dad, Mum and bros were living in Breeze Hill, before that it was Stewie road. Plans were afoot to widen Breeze hill but we had no where to go. The council rehoused us in Southdene as Kirkby was where they were building Council houses. The fact that we then lived in Kirkby did not lessen our feelings of being Scouse or of Evertonians, We were all born and lived in L4 going back 10 generations.

There is and never was any doubt about our Scouseness!

I'm not casting aspersions on your scouseness.

Just going off what a lot of scousers have said to me in the past and observations on the somewhat thicker accent that I've noticed from the good denizens of Kirkby and Huyton during my interactions with them and their eagerness to emphasise their scouseness.

I'm a wool - I have no horse in this race.

I can't remember exactly what did it, as it was more a slow transition. I only really started watching footy in my late-teens/early twenties, and I always found myself wanting Everton to win even when I didn't have an allegiance as such. I think Cahill was a big part of it, was easily my favourite player at the time

I'm from the North of ireland, and started supporting everton after watching them beat Southampton in the cup semi-final as an impressionable 8 year old in '84. I dunno if it was the Jersey or heath's wild celebration which flicked a switch somewhere inside, but when we lifted the trophy a few weeks later, my allegiance was cemented. Most of my peers in the neighbourhood were either utd or rs, with a few arsenal, Leeds scattered around. My dad was/is a spurs fan. I was the only Everton fan I knew and recall being treated like a strange animal when asked who I supported. Everton? What??...

I remember the 84-85 season being a strange one for me. I missed both the cup finals we were in cos we were on a local holiday that week and the place we were staying in didn't have a tv. Gutted I missed one of them anyway. As we all know, life as an evertonian since then has been a hard one!

One thing I will say coming from this particular part of the world, Everton are a surprisingly strongly supported team here considering our last trophy win. After utd and rs, and the inevitable rangers/Celtic split, Everton are up there with the spurs, Chelsea, arsenal numbers of fans. Leeds also have a fair representation, but a city jersey, despite their success lately, is still a very rare site here across the water.
Certainly more of us over here than Spurs. Outside of utd and the rs it is Chelsea ourselves and Arsenal. I would say Leeds follow just behind which is admirable as they haven't been in the top flight since 2004.

I've met a load of old fellas that say they went to watch us as kids the odd time some in their 90's. The 17 miles up the lancs wasn't an option for them & it was a full day trip for a match.

As a ten year old football mad boy living in North London in 1963 I also leant towards Spurs, but not in a fanatical way. I had pictures of footballers from many different teams on my bedroom wall that I had cut from Charles Buchan's Football Monthly. Then, late in 1963, my mum bought home some shopping that included a packet of Typhoo Tea. I was always looking for pictures of footballers and football teams that came with tea and cereal packets so, when I saw there was one on the side of the box, I asked Mum if I could have the box when she'd finished with it.

There was something about the photo. I don't know if it was how good the kit looked, even in monochrome (or black and white - a ten year old primary school boy like me didn't know what words like 'monochrome' meant then) or the fact that the players and staff all so looked happy as they posed with the Football League Division One trophy and the Charity Shield, but I was smitten and wanted to be one of them.

I sometimes wish I had supported a team I could go and see on a regular basis (I used to go to Arsenal to watch football as it was the easiest ground to get to) but never, ever, have I wished that I hadn't fallen for that photo of the Everton team of champions in 1963.
Hence the name @Typhoo Toffee

I'm not an Evertonian as such, more a kind of 'friend of Everton' I could never pretend to be a real fan of a club I have no actual connection to, emotionally or geographically...but, I have family in Liverpool so its the only English city I have a connection to, I could't choose Liverpool FC coz they have too many glory hunters following them, so Everton it is. I've been to Goodison a few times now and its always a good atmosphere and a brilliant old stadium to visit .... That being said, the new place looks like it will be superb.

Hibs are the only club for me though, been a season ticket holder for decades and just renewed it today for a season that might not even kick off for 6 months or whatever.

On that note ... seen an Irish guy posting he supports Everton coz in Ireland there's no geographical clubs to support ... pish mate, yes there are .. support your local team.

My old man was from Chester, he used to watch them play. One day a mate invited him to an Everton game and he got hooked. He started taking me when I was about 5 or 6, just the odd game every season.

I've always gone to watch the teams near where Ive lived too. So when I was a student I had the misfortune of watching a few York City games, dire stuff. Oddly enough I got to a few Everton away games then. Back to Cheshire and it was Crewe Alex during the era of Lennon, Murphy (sorry), Savage ((sorry again), Ashton, Hulse etc. But still getting a few Everton games in.

When I moved to NZ in 2007 I thought it would be too much of a pain to keep track of the footy, new start and all that. 2 weeks into my job and this fella starts asking me about footy, who I support etc. Turns out he is a massive Everton fan and that was that. We get together every few weeks, Sunday afternoon, polish off a few beers and watch the game "live".

My 3 lads were all told. They've all been to Goodison to watch a game. Like me they didnt have a choice but then I wouldnt have it any other way.

Bollocks, my Dad, Mum and bros were living in Breeze Hill, before that it was Stewie road. Plans were afoot to widen Breeze hill but we had no where to go. The council rehoused us in Southdene as Kirkby was where they were building Council houses. The fact that we then lived in Kirkby did not lessen our feelings of being Scouse or of Evertonians, We were all born and lived in L4 going back 10 generations.

There is and never was any doubt about our Scouseness!
Well said lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.