Wools - Why are you an Evertonian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up in Hull in the 70s and got into football during the 78 world cup. I went from having no interest to having huge interest and once I found the Panini sticker books, well that was it. Our local library (which is the tiny odd looking building you see when you cross the road going into the KC having got the bus from Hull city centre) was selling books off so I asked my mum to buy me a football book, any football book. What she came back with was "Goals at Goodison" by Alex Young. It wasn't what I was really after, I wanted more pictures! But still, it made me aware of Everton.

After that, I wanted a kit to wear so mum took me to the local sports shop. When I think about it now it was clearly an Umbro shop as I remember they had the kits of Villa, Man City and even Stoke. And another Umbro wearing team. It was bright yellow and stood out like a sore thumb. So an Everton away kit it was, not even really linking it back to my book. But that made them "my team". Coz everyone in 'Ull schools had a team which wasn't the woeful Tigers.

Anyway, it then became apparent over the next few years that everyone else supported the RS. I hated them. Not coz of who they were (and are), that came later. I hated them because they won. I hated winners. I hated Steve Davies, I hated Bjorn Borg and Martina Navratilova. I hated Eric Bristow. They were boring. And everyone supporting Liverpool was boring too.

Anyway, I got some begrudging respect as Everton had the glory years. Then as I reached later teens I drifted away. I left 'Ull to go to Uni and became very proud of where I was from so followed them home and away when I could. I always kept an eye out for Everton's scores and had some heart in mouth moments as we all did, but that was about all.

Anyway, long story short after living all over country I met a lass in 2009. She was and is from Bootle. I didn't think of Everton apart from "we can talk about that on our first date". But she doesn't like football. Err, Ok. Talking about Doctor Who it is (it's being fans that led us to meet). One thing led to another and in early 2010 she told me she had got tickets to see Everton v 'Ull. It was the 5-1. My first time in Goodison, and that was it. I felt at home. So I joined the membership the next season and went as often as I could. Then I bought an ST for the upper Gwladys for the 14-15 season and I've been here ever since. I still try and fit my visits to mum's around 'Ull being at home, but nothing beats my walk down the Southport Road, a few Guinness in The Mons and the game.

Sorry for the ramble, that's my tale of a long and slow walk towards Evertonhood.

Can you describe a wool please

I was born at Ormskirk hospital, which has a Liverpool postcode and I live in Southport, which has a Liverpool postcode.
Yet when we played sunday league against a team from Crosby, they called us wools. Then again they weren't the most educated bunch

I was born at Ormskirk hospital, which has a Liverpool postcode and I live in Southport which has a Liverpool postcode.
Yet when we played sunday league against a team from Crosby, they called us wools. Then again they weren't the most educated bunch
Wool, wool, wool.

I was born at Ormskirk hospital, which has a Liverpool postcode and I live in Southport, which has a Liverpool postcode.
There are unsheared sheep less wool than you lid

Southport has a ‘PR8/9’ postcode which is Preston.

despite that, Southport isn’t Wool territory.

Southport has a ‘PR8/9’ postcode which is Preston.

despite that, Southport isn’t Wool territory.

You are correct. I moved to Southport from Formby which has a L39 postcode. Of course I now have a PR9 postcode.
I shall go and cut off my wool

You are correct. I moved to Southport from Formby which has a L39 postcode. Of course I now have a PR9 postcode.
I shall go and cut off my wool

I believe this map answers all
3E0E638C-04E7-49C7-AC11-326797A15B86.jpeg

I used to get the special to away games from Runcorn, I lived in Widnes at the time. I was beaten up and spat at on so many occasions going to and from the match by people who were to thick to understand what the term Woolyback actually meant. I was never afraid of the opposing fans only of the vile scum who used to support the same team as me. I can't stand the term Wool.

It was just an anti-Liverpool FC thing really, I'm 47 and grew up in Shropshire in a generation where almost everyone supported the sh*te, and I was a contrary little ****. My dad tried to get me to support his beloved Wolves, but they lost whenever we went. He decided I was a curse and banished me! I think I picked us because of the Charity shield win in 84 which seems like a strange one, but it was anyone who could beat them was sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.