With “fans outside Merseyside” being a common insult to the reds, why are the scouser Everton fans thoughts on international Everton fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing wrong with supporters from other areas. They are no more or no less supporters than those born in the city boundaries.

The quality of those supporters is the key. Liverpool's out-of-towners are all muppets who make up lies after every derby about us singing Hillsborough songs when even the staunchest Scouse red would tell you that it doesn't happen.

Their non-local fans are all bandwagon, glory-hunting beauts from down south or around the world with no proper connection to the club and would drop them if they finished outside of the top 6 for 5 years.

Absolutely correct, this. In NZ most who claim to support the RS (and trust me, there are loads) wouldn't have a clue when they last won the league, and wouldn't know who Bill Shankly or Bob Paisley is.

However, the odd Evertonian I know in NZ or Oz routinely gets up at 2 or 4 each Sunday morning for nine months to put ourselves through the agony of watching the Blues.

We might be significantly fewer in number, but I'd take quality over quantity any day of the week.

How would you possibly know that ? It's an easy thing to say if you're born in L4, but you simply can not know what you'd have done if you'd been born in some other city, or perhaps somewhere way out in the countryside.
And as I said, people move house. By that logic, I should support Millwall, Chester City, BHA AND Man United because I've lived in all four cities. Or do you just change team every time you move house?

I'd also add that I don't come from generations of Evertonians - my parents supported different teams. Dad was Greenock Morton and he also liked Milan. Mum was a kopite (she stopped caring once she moved to London, which is just as well because Derby Day would have been awkward otherwise). I used to support Liverpool because of it, though she never did take me to Klanfield.

ETA: how the hel can you support Liverpool and not know who BILL SHANKLY of all people is? That's like a Man United fan not knowing who Matt Busby is!

Last edited:
There’s more factors at play.

Firstly the sheer volume of tourists - and that’s what they are, purely tourists not Liverpool fans.

None-local fans of any club is fine as far as I can see, so long as they’re actual fans.

I actually feel sorry for scouse reds at times. The heart and sound has beeen ripped out of their club. It’s a commodity and a cult, not a club.

So I’ve no problem with any clubs fans being from anywhere, as long as they’re true fans.

@Adam-GOTTV - what’s your thoughts?

That's a good post Grouchie.

Football is tribal and clubs should have a strong connection with the areas they come from. I did some filming outside Anfield for something a couple of seasons back and I genuinely think I spoke to one Scouser. That's not an exaggeration. I realise as a non-Scouse blue I'm putting my own fanship at risk but it's important Everton always retain their identity with the City.

I get a bit of flack for being a wool, not as much as I thought I would tbh and no where near as much as non-Scouse Reds get. God. I'd hate to be a non-Scouse Red when a decent percentage of your own fanbase literally hate you.

It is more pronounced with the Scouse clubs through. For example, I remember asking two of my Stoke supporting mates how they'd feel if someone from Liverpool did a Stoke podcast and they were genuinely bemused. "Why would we care where he/she came from?". I thought that was interesting.

Anyway, us out of towners put a lot of effort in to follow Everton and over the years we've not had much back apart from quite a bit of pain so cut us some slack. Lol.

I’m a London based toffee dad Is from Merseyside came down for work in 81 brought me up a blue now I’m bringing my son up a blue wouldn’t change it for anything we go about 10 games a season if my wife would let me I move to Liverpool tomorrow the people are the best in England by miles

Born in Warrington, live in Flanders. My mother is from Allerton and a red, her parents were from the Dingle, mother a red and father a blue. My grandma bought me one of the silver RS away tops for my 7th birthday and two days later it got nicked out of my locker at St. Helens baths... cue tears and snot.

By way of recompense, and to take advantage, my Grandad bought me an Everton top and my uncle a Warrington rugby jersey and the rest, as they say, is history.

Nothing wrong with supporters from other areas. They are no more or no less supporters than those born in the city boundaries.

The quality of those supporters is the key. Liverpool's out-of-towners are all muppets who make up lies after every derby about us singing Hillsborough songs when even the staunchest Scouse red would tell you that it doesn't happen.

Their non-local fans are all bandwagon, glory-hunting beauts from down south or around the world with no proper connection to the club and would drop them if they finished outside of the top 6 for 5 years.

THIS.

I'm actually chuffed to meet out-of towners who are Evertonians on a matchday, given how starved of success we've been for so long, I find it remarkable that people from around the world would "Choose" to support Everton. You only have to look at the power of television to pervert the simple minds of many to follow der redmen to see how much commitment and truth it takes to follow us instead.

Why are the scouser Everton thoughts on international Everton fans you ask? To be honest, I don't think they are, well not exclusively anyway. I am sure scouser Evertonians have many different thoughts and contemplations, very few of which (I suggest), overly focus on Everton's international fan base.

Most of my staunchest Everton supporting mates are from places as diverse as Bradford, Belfast, Dublin, Northants, Burnley, London, North Carolina and Rome!!! They are Everton mad, bleed blue and really back the team at the match whenever they can! Madame Allezlesbleus goes on Euro trips alone if I can’t go Do their roots go as deep as mine? No but no-one could doubt their credentials!

I dont think theres any ill will toward out of town fans,we have always had them,sometimes as many of them at away matches as there was Scouse support,I think the animosity aimed at out of town rs is due to a couple of things,a lot of them seem to genuinely hate the city and it inhabitants,they try to be ultra reds,they cant be happy to win,they have to be in everybodys face with it,they try to out scouse the rs from the city with the bitter,Woodison,Neverton shouts but tou know a lot of them have no interest in football or that club unless they are winning

I'm a Brummie (I know, hardly International), and have a decent sized Twitter following. I get NO grief whatsoever about being from outside Liverpool, bar the odd wool jokes. I still take the mick out of that lot for it too, as the way I see it, 80% or more of their "fan"base is now from elsewhere, whereas ours is very much a Liverpool based one. Of course I'd like us to tap into foreign markets if it improved our financial clout, and I'd never slag off anyone who actually went to more than one game, no matter where they're from. The problem with their followers is that, as has been mentioned already, they're mainly tourists. They come over, have a weekend out, buy some flags and jarg t-shirts, and are never seen in Liverpool again. I've had the "privilege" of travelling with a number of them on my travels back and forth to Liverpool, and they clearly regard it as a pilgrimage of some kind, that won't ever be repeated.

I live in Hertfordshire born & raised. I have been to Liverpool many times through occasionally coming up for games & work. I love my club & the locals i have met are nice people however many of you homegrown lot annoy me when you use being from the south as an insult.
"Let's blame it on the southerners" or "typical London media" or "that southern lot".
Yes i agree that lots of reds are just glory hunting outsiders but us blues from outside certainly can't be called that (I'm 35) & i feel a little pushed away by some who feel my support isn't worthy because I'm from "that London".

Status
Not open for further replies.