With “fans outside Merseyside” being a common insult to the reds, why are the scouser Everton fans thoughts on international Everton fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
99% of their out of towners are dickheads who only have a passing interest in football, but dress head to toe in their gear and are smug arseholes when it comes to every other club. 99% of our out of towners are sound.

....the media have a lot to do with it, and more specifically Sky. They want subscriptions and almost brainwash global audience into following them. It’s all to do with £.

Born in Liverpool, live in Ireland. I have two lads who were born in Ireland but have both moved back to Liverpool. We’re all staunch blues and I go to as many games as I can with me lads.
I don’t feel I have any stronger affinity to Everton than any other Blue, but would have a stronger affinity to the city than someone with no family connections , My stronger feeling would be one of luck that I’ve been alive to witness Everton win Titles and cups.

....the media have a lot to do with it, and more specifically Sky. They want subscriptions and almost brainwash global audience into following them. It’s all to do with £.
Also doesnt help that every scouse commentator is an ex liverpool player! We really are the poor relation in that regard and that does wind me up.

Additionally, if we go by the logic that “Everton are the true pride of Merseyside as their fans are actually from Merseyside”, won’t that mean tranmere rovers is the true pride of Merseyside as they have almost no international supporters?
giphy.gif

As someone who grew up outside of Liverpool but chose to support Everton, sometimes it has nothing to do with locality. I had Man United (The really good Fergie side from the 90's no less) on my doorstep and went with Everton because Everton "felt right" for whatever reason

You don't have to be from where a team is to connect with it's values or feel like it's the club for you

What got me interested in Everton were players like Kanchelskis and Hinchcliffe because they were talented, and after watching them I came to like the team as a whole and eventually Everton just became my team, even though I didn't live in the City. I don't even remember the 95 Cup Final for instance, so it's not even like watching that was the impetus. The first full season I really remember is 1996/97, with bits and pieces prior to that like the Wimbledon game in 94 and the Kanchelskis Derby

That could happen for any club

that's fair enough mate not saying your any less of a fan than I am, I just don't understand it, like all my mates are red or blue, in school was the same everyone had the banter of the derby etc, the weekend was always about going the footy when you was a kid, at the pub on the weekend it was full of reds and blue so was banter before/after the game in regards to them not winning the league etc

people who live far away don't have that do they? again it's not a dig like I just don't see how young'uns don't get it engraved into them when they are kids by family members etc haha

Been trying to get my wife interested in Everton for several years now, but she shrugs it off (more football/soccer than Everton, really). She did love our trip to Liverpool and Goodison though (talks about it all the time).

Lately, she's becoming a bit more vocal about the Blues, and it's pretty obvious why - the sheer number of overnight Liverpool "fans" that have come out of absolute nowhere around here. I don't know if she'll ever really care about Everton like I do, but I have to think a deep loathing of Liverpool is a solid alternative.

For foreign Everton fans, I think they tend to either:
A) Have some reasonable connection with the club
or
B) Were 'chosen' by something.

PL football has gotten globally big only in the past 20 years or so, and Everton have obviously not been a club du jour during that time...you don't tend to get Evertonians with only a passing interest in football or a glory hunting nature.

Liverpool are a global brand at this point, so people tend to pick them, or United, Chelsea, or Arsenal if they're not actual football fans that pay attention week in/week out. It's not even "glory hunting" perse, it's more "brand sniffing".

I can't remember the rs having as much tourist fans in the 80's.
Welsh and Lancashire /
Cheshire .
Few cockneys at Goodison I recall.
Without sounding bitter
I'm suprised they have so much fans in Europe following Heysel .

I'll never really understand it, it's always puzzled me to an extent even since I was a kid and if we are ever successful again (as if)) one of the downsides to that (to me) would be an extra 10,000 wools in the city every other week. I'm sure the club and others love them like (cha-ching).

Also doesnt help that every scouse commentator is an ex liverpool player! We really are the poor relation in that regard and that does wind me up.

...there are some ex-Evertonians (Lineker, Osman, Kilbane etc) but the saturation is LFC and the likes of Man City are hardly represented at all.

...there are some ex-Evertonians (Lineker, Osman, Kilbane etc) but the saturation is LFC and the likes of Man City are hardly represented at all.
This may be controversial but I dont consider Lineker as an ex-evertonian hes clearly more Leicester tbh. Osman, hardly ever o TV and doesnt count, same with Kilbane really. I agree though about other teams, its all ex liverpool or man utd pundits, far too much bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.