Winning trophies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never seen us win a trophy. Can't even begin to imagine what it's like, even when we turned United over last week I felt on top of the world, so if we won a trophy at Wembley I reckon me head would fall off.

Trophies would be nice, but I think it's clear to us all winning the possession is most important.

So are you suggesting Everton need to hound referees, dive for penalties etc as well?

I totally agree that we are an honest team, always have been, sometimes too much so we just get shat on. But just because bigger teams get the bigger calls doesn't necessarily mean we will if we start employing the same tactics.

For that reason most of the top refs just pander to the big sides. Chelsea play on this. Little old honest Everton don't and that's why (as well as having a rubbish manager) we don't win anything.

I don't think Everton are seen as a big side anymore, so it makes this example redundant.

However, as I said just a few minutes ago, our honesty does annoy me at times.

Not that honesty is a bad thing, but it gets on my nerves when we're too nice!! That's more the point, it's not we're too honest, it's too nice. Or maybe a bit of both. I'd like us to have a bit more snide, if possible. A bit more aggression

So are you suggesting Everton need to hound referees, dive for penalties etc as well?

I totally agree that we are an honest team, always have been, sometimes too much so we just get shat on. But just because bigger teams get the bigger calls doesn't necessarily mean we will if we start employing the same tactics.

It depends who we play. If the RS are hounding referees then we should do it. If a team has players that go over 'too easy' then we should do it. If a team has players that dive for penalties then we should do it. Not until all clubs 'spoil' the game will something be done. They can't sell a 'superior' product if it is a shambles. We all know the Sky 5 gets away with cheating, so every team should cheat and to the same degree.

If we don't do as others do, then we are tying one hand behind our backs and not getting a 'fair' crack of the whip.

Hullefc, what will happen though, if we play the big teams and match their diving, cheating and hounding of referees, is the ref will still favour them over us, due to the other team being a 'big' one!

There's no consistency with referees, especially in the bigger games against the top clubs.

And when we did play a Chelsea and employed the same tactics as them, I'd hardly call cheating 'fair', although I do see what you're saying

Hullefc, what will happen though, if we play the big teams and match their diving, cheating and hounding of referees, is the ref will still favour them over us, due to the other team being a 'big' one!

There's no consistency with referees, especially in the bigger games against the top clubs.

And when we did play a Chelsea and employed the same tactics as them, I'd hardly call cheating 'fair', although I do see what you're saying
I think a collective self belief among players and manager that we can and should be able to play well enough against any 6/7 teams we might come across in a cup competition to be able to turn them over should be enough and anyone not agreeing that should get out of EFC now please. We have seen glimpses in numerous cup runs only to shoot ourselves in foot (eg eliminate Chelsea then lose at home to Reading) but we definitely lack the killer instinct to see it through. We saw a bit of the sin miedo attitude needed at Old Trafford last year but there is still a lack of killer instinct and self belief. I think we have been brittle mentally as well as inconsistent this year but stil believe we are not a million miles off. Stones, lukaku, McCarthy, Coleman, have grit and desire to win in abundance, mirallas when he can be bothered, jags often too. Can we get it up to 8/9 players on a regular basis????? = $64,000 question for me.

What's even more galling for us is we haven't even looked like winning a trophy since 1995, one cup final appearance out of 40 domestic attemps plus a few europa ventures is awful. Even unfashionable clubs like Cardiff,Wigan and Portsmouth have been to TWO finals.

Although I'm old enough to have seen the trophy / league winning Everton teams of the mid eighties for me it's about watching entertaining football played by a team that on the face of it appears to be putting a shift in and cares about the club. Trophies to me come second to that.

The thing is that we have divers. Naismith is a serial diver as is Coleman when he gets in the rival's box but we lack an overall dirty tricks approach. A winning team employs the approach when necessary or when the opportunity arises. Utd with Fergie and Roy Keane had it.. Leeds under Revie.. Arsenal with Viera and now Chelski. And Italian clubs employed it for decades.

The only people i know that have said they would want 4th over a trophy seem to be the ones that dont go, and have no real connection with the club.

Its more about them having more games on tv to see, that the magic of a final and trophy win.

Status
Not open for further replies.