Winning trophies

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue_aussie05

Player Valuation: £8m
I've never subscribed to football being more about the taking part than the winning. I don't want to take part just to make up the numbers, I want to be winning trophies. But there now seems to be an accepted norm these days that qualifying for the champions league is fantastic (which it undeniably is), but it's almost akin to winning silverware. It's almost as if the financial benefits of finishing 4th and sitting at the top table with the big boys has now become the goal.

I've read discussions on here about people thinking if it's a straight choice between finishing 4th and getting in the CL, or winning the FA Cup and entering the Europa League, they'd take the 4th place finish as that brings participation in a superior European competition. They seem to be forgetting, though, that in the above straight choice, the Europa League comes as a direct result of seeing us lift a trophy at Wembley, which some of the younger fans on here are yet to witness.

So, this got me thinking: is winning trophies still what it's all about? Or are we now happy to settle for the 4th place trophy?

I've never subscribed to football being more about the taking part than the winning. I don't want to take part just to make up the numbers, I want to be winning trophies. But there now seems to be an accepted norm these days that qualifying for the champions league is fantastic (which it undeniably is), but it's almost akin to winning silverware. It's almost as if the financial benefits of finishing 4th and sitting at the top table with the big boys has now become the goal.

I've read discussions on here about people thinking if it's a straight choice between finishing 4th and getting in the CL, or winning the FA Cup and entering the Europa League, they'd take the 4th place finish as that brings participation in a superior European competition. They seem to be forgetting, though, that in the above straight choice, the Europa League comes as a direct result of seeing us lift a trophy at Wembley, which some of the younger fans on here are yet to witness.

So, this got me thinking: is winning trophies still what it's all about? Or are we now happy to settle for the 4th place trophy?

If it is a question between a one off top 4 finish vs a trophy then it would be a trophy every day for almost everton fan.

However if you are asking whether a top 4 finish every year without winning a cup is preferable to not getting a top 4 finish and winning a cup, then continued participation in the CL would move Everton forward a lot more than a pot would. Without being a fixture in the CL we will always be scrapping with RS and Spurs for 5th and likely not winning a cup either.

No, taking part is for pub teams. Professionals are expected to win. The way money is influencing the game now it is very difficult to win but winning is what it is all about. Players need to be made realise they have a responsibility to make the team they are playing for a winning team. Too many just want to get a transfer to a club that is already winning.

I just love everton. they have been part of my life for as long as remember. trophies are nice but it means so much more to me to be involved with everton win lose or draw. imagine being a fan of a team with no hope of any glory but still they follow their team with as much passion as I do.

article-0-000042BE00000CB2-304_634x424.jpg

everton-1986-87-league-champions-5514301.jpg

943728_0.jpg

kevin-ratcliffe-cup-winners-league-267x300.jpg

everton-win-the-fa-cup-in-1984-50498956.jpg

everton-1970.jpg

I remember all of the above, fourth place is nothing compared to winning something.

I don't know anyone who'd take a fourth place finish above a trophy be that the FA Cup, league Cup or Europa league.

Ive seen us win things, not many, but it's gave me memories I cherish. Finishing 4th will long be forgotten before the smile is removed from my face when thinking of the last time we stuck it to Utd in the 95 cup final or listening to the radio as we beat Norwich to win the league with my old fella in our kitchen, or standing on the corner of county rd as Graeme Sharp cradled the FA cup on the front row of an open top bus.

There's no comparrison.

Since we last won a top flight domestic trophy in 1995, the clubs perceived to be the current elite ones have won the lions share of them.

Chelsea have now won the Prem title 4 times, 6 FA Cups and 4 League Cups, plus the Champions League, Cup Winners Cup and Europa League once each.

Man U have won 11 Prems, 3 FA Cups, 3 League Cups and 2 Champions Leagues.

Arsenal have won 3 Prems, 5 FA Cups but no League Cups.

Liverpool have won 0 Prems (yes, get in!!), 2 FA Cups, 4 League Cups, plus the Champions League and Uefa Cup once each.

Man C have won 2 Prems, 1 FA Cup and 1 League Cup. Not a particularly massive trophy haul in the last 20 years, although this is skewed slightly by their money making them a relatively new kid on the block!

So, clearly, for the top clubs, winning trophies is what it's all about. But we sadly don't come in that category anymore. Not competing for league titles doesn't exclude us from picking up a cup every so often, though.

But outside of those teams mentioned above, look at who else has won a trophy since we last did in 1995.

Prem - Blackburn

FA Cup - Portsmouth, Wigan

League Cup - Villa, Leicester x2, Spurs x2, Blackburn, Middlesboro, Birmingham, Swansea

Additionally, Middlesboro and Fulham have got to the Uefa Cup/Europa League final once each.

All of those teams, apart from three, have since been relegated, some more than once.

So, winning a trophy doesn't guarantee anything.

Although I'd dearly love to rejoin the elite clubs where there's an expectation of challenging for league honours every year, until our current circumstances change it looks like we'll have to make do with going for cup glory.

Is this how others see our immediate future?

Football supporters support their team, and enjoy/endure that first and foremost. (Apart from those happy clappy, johnny come lately glory hunting tools that is).

I enjoy being an Everton fan. A trophy is sound, but being a blue is sounder. If that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.