Will Jelavic's 2012/13 surpass Yakubu's 2007/08?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwladys Nights

Player Valuation: £15m
It seems to have become the accepted wisdom among some blues that Jelavic's arrival represents the first time we've had a good-great center forward under Moyes. However, these blues do a dis-service to the now departed Aiyegbeni Yakubu, who for a time personified the term 'boss slotter' some 4 years before it had been coined by one Chico Azul esq.

In 2007/08 Yak averaged more than 1 in 2 in the league (15/29), and scored more than 20 goals in all competitions - the first Evertonian to do so since Peter Beardsley 15 years earlier. Do we expect Nikica Jelavic to surpass these totals in the coming season?

The Yak had six games in Europe which Jelavic won't get, but he also departed to the AFCON for 5 weeks. Therefore I reckon it's a pretty fair side-by-side comparison.

Will Jelavic do better than 15(21) in 2012/13?

Kind of lumping a massive expectation on someone about to start his first full season of Premier League football in a team that is constantly garbage until mid January.

I'll just wait and see I think.

I have no idea tbh. I'm still reserving 5% of my judgement on him. I'm half worried his "honeymoon" period will end and his goalscoring touch will wane over the summer and for him to turn into a 10-12 goal a season striker like AJ was.

He was utterly awesome last year, though, so he definitely can with the right service.

I'd like a cheese on toast option if at all possible.

11 in 16 last term, Pienaar is back, Naismith has been added, all signs point to yes if he has a 40 game season.

I would like to say yes, there's a feeling in my stomach that will not allow me to be such a naive optimist though.

I think Jelavic is the first time we've had a decent striker with the decent team we have now. Doubt he will do as well as Yak's good season in terms of goals but I reckon he will do better than him for the team.
The buzz is more because we spent the first half of last season making chance after chance and watching them go wide, high or lame and you know this guy would of burried most of them. Add that to the 3 or 4 goals scored in several games at the end of the season and I think most can see why there is hope amongst the faifthul again.
I think he will score less than Yak's season but I think we will score more as a team.

Everton expectation and Everton achievement are usually inversely proportional for me.

I thought Jelavic would be average at best last year, but he was ace.

Now everyone thinks he's going to be ace...

Jelavic proved in the 2nd half of last season if he's given a chance, he's more than likely to put it away, especially if it's his first touch. You don't lose that skill over a summer, so I think it's more a question of whether we can keep up the service for him for the entire season.

Based on the evidence so far I don't see why not. Big test is if can start firing straight away where the team has, in recent years, just not performed. Season starts in August not December.

Status
Not open for further replies.