Transfer Rumour Wilifred Gnonto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im also not somebody who considers players are only able to play 1 side of the pitch as well, sure some players are more effective on 1 side rather than the other, but talented players can switch.
Pretty crazy how supporters love to talk about square pegs and round holes. While managers clearly play players in various position as a part of player development.

Gakpo did brilliant as a left winger for PSV and the national team. For Liverpool he has mostly played as a number 9. This summer and last weekend he played as number 8. While Darwin Nunez, a typical number 9, has mostly played on the left since Gakpo joined. But they clearly don't know what they are doing. Same guys bought Salah when they already had a brilliant right winger in Sadio Mane and no proper left winger. Id!ots.

Brighton last season played Mac Allister as a 6, 8 and 10. While Caicedo played as a 6, 8 and as right back. Gross, that has been an offensive midfielder most of his career, played as a 6 or at right back.

England U21 won the Euros this summer with right back Aarons playing as left back and midfielder Garner playing as right back. They had offensive ball playing midfielders playing as 6s. Anthony Gordon played as a 9 and was named player of the tournament.

Look at Arsenal or Manchester City. Most of their players can play in 3 or 4 positions. That is a strength. Both individually and for the team.

Spending £25m on Willy does make me immensely more enthusiastic than similar sums we spent on the likes of Walcott, Iwobi, etc. For one thing, Willy showed productivity in his first PL season and given his age you would still expect progression and improvement. Walcott and Iwobi were already at or near their prime when we bought them, so we paid peak market value for known quantities with little upside. With Willy, there is the hope that we will witness a budding young starlet who will improve us year on year and if/when he departs will make us a profit. From both a football and business perspective it is the type of recruitment that makes sense.
Any transfer appears appealing when sandwiched between those of Walcott and Iwobi.

I would agree with you if we were speaking of an exciting young Center Forward, Right Winger, or creative Attacking Midfielder.

We are not. He will be played out of position and perform poorly until benched or struggle for match time behind our best footballer in Dwight McNeil.

If we go on to sign him, I hope I am wrong.

I agree that talented players can switch.

I do not believe Gnonto is one of those. I do not see the potential others do.

Regardless of who on our roster we currently play at RW, none are capable of creating potential goals from the right.

This should impact who we as a club recruit for our squad, and I find it alarming that it does not seem to.

Mate if you want to be all negative about some no-mark from the Championship coming here then the Adams thread is for you.

This is the ‘quote excited to sign a tricky winger’ thread. I’ve watched Lee Carsley play right wing and Mark Pembridge play left wing. This is exciting.

Mate if you want to be all negative about some no-mark from the Championship coming here then the Adams thread is for you.

This is the ‘quote excited to sign a tricky winger’ thread. I’ve watched Lee Carsley play right wing and Mark Pembridge play left wing. This is exciting.
Right then. I'll see myself out.

Thanks Friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.