Why so many reds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't really remember that many red cards over the years that I've felt really hard done by, apart from Rodwell and an Arteta one where Lee Mason missed an obvious free kick on Baines that would have stopped it happening.

Who's had the most rescinded red cards?
Who's had the most red cards given after the game is done in retrospect?
How many referees went on holiday with a side over the summer then referee'd the derby of that same side and rather stuffed the side he didn't go on holiday with?

Materazzi and Bilic were sent off 4 and 3 times in one season. How many of those were at home.

lol Materazzi, played about 30 games and sent off 4 times. nob head

I'm sure Earl Barrett was sent off in his first game. That was the high point of his Everton career.

Duncan Ferguson. But I see people have beaten me to it lol

Also the derbies, especially at Goodison, so that will skew the home cards.

We never get penalties either. One at Anfield since World War 2...one.

And remember that season we went 37 games without a pen, then got one against Fulham at Goodison on the last day?

Beattie had a very stupid red after 5 minutes once, down at the Street end. We won 1-0 tho lol (vs. Blackburn, or Chelsea?)

But basically it is all down to Duncan, Stevie Mee and Clattenburg ;)

Statistically, via this calculator:

http://vassarstats.net/propdiff_ind.html

Our 32/418 vs the Mancs' 13/418 has only a probability of occuring by chance 0.36% of the time. That sounds pretty significant. But due to the number of comparisons, you must adjust this using a correction. Normal significance level is 5%, so you divide that number by the number of comparisons (in this case roughly 18+17+16...(this assumes all the teams in the PL are the same), and so that's the triangular number of 18, which is 171 (this is called a Bonferroni correction, IIRC). Thus, in order for statistical significance, the chance that any one team has a significantly higher occurence of home red cards than another is 5%/171 = 0.036%. This is roughly one tenth the likelihood calculated by the chi-squared test (what I assume is on the back-end of this calculator), meaning we're no longer significant.

Just due to the large number of comparisons and the relatively small number of red cards, we cannot conclude that the difference in red cards between Everton and ManU cannot simply occur by chance. Had it been significant, that still doesn't mean that refs are to blame, it could be substantially affected by manager or playing style, especially considering that roughly half those matches for Everton and nearly all for ManU are under one manager.

For experiment's sake, had our value of red cards been 38 and theirs remain the same, the difference would then be significant. Or if ours remained the same and theirs dropped to 9, they would also be significantly different.

I'm not sure why I did this, but hey, it's Friday. It's mostly correct, though statistics is not my specific area of expertise. Enjoy the weekend and COYB!

Status
Not open for further replies.