Who's To Blame

Who's To Blame For Our Failure To Land A Replacement For Lukaku?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We fans are partially to blame for building Mr Moshiri up to be something he never was.

He is financially astute and he has great business acumen, but some blues seemed to be under the misapprehension that he was going to bankroll us Abramovich-esque.

He hasn't even got as much money as the majority shareholder of Stoke City, Sir Peter Coates.

We fans are partially to blame for building Mr Moshiri up to be something he never was.

He is financially astute and he has great business acumen, but some blues seemed to be under the misapprehension that he was going to bankroll us Abramovich-esque.

He hasn't even got as much money as the majority shareholder of Stoke City, Sir Peter Coates.

I don't understand this - he isn't even allowed to bankroll us in the way that Abramovich and Mansour did at their respective clubs. That ship has sailed and the HMS FFP is in port.

My point is, domestically we've played four games this season, three of which against Man City, Chelsea, and Spurs, two of those away from home. Sunderland is not a yardstick, however for balance to see just where we are at, we'll be in a better place to judge in a months' time after games against "lower tier" teams as well as teams in the top six.

Spurs made us look very average last weekend but tonight they also made a very good Borussia Dortmund team look average. Perspective.
I'm not sure why we're discounting the poor performances in Europe (well I am, it's because if you included them your point would be shown up for what it is - complete cobblers) but we'll run with it anyway.

Unless I've missed something, the Premier League is still one division. The 4 teams we've played make up 20% of that division, so why on earth would it be acceptable to write off games against them as if we're not fit to be on the same pitch? If we're aiming to be in the top 6 - which both the owner and manager have stated we are - surely it's the games against those side which need to be used as a yardstick, not games against relegation fodder that we would expect to win anyway?

I've said before there's no need to panic, and the shouts that we should sack the manager, rip up the team and start again etc are a tad premature, but let's not beat about the bush - we've looked pretty incompetent so far this season. In our last 5 halves of Premier League football we've hardly left our own half, and that's simply not acceptable.

Koeman is to blame for not getting a tune out of the players available, he spent a shed load of money, we should be performing better. Whether or not a striker would have made a difference overall, who knows because he plays such ridiculous formations and his tactics are a bit bemusing.

Well, we were only taking our lead from Uncle Billy after all (I know... gullibility is in our DNA :()

Did he not walk in to one the Goodison restaurants and intoduce Moshiri to a group of fans saying "this man is going to make your dreams come true" :pint2:

And as we will believe owt we want to believe, we believed :(

All but one intrepid poster on here.....one voice in the wilderness :dance:

I don't understand this - he isn't even allowed to bankroll us in the way that Abramovich and Mansour did at their respective clubs. That ship has sailed and the HMS FFP is in port.

As many people on this and other forums pointed out at the time.....it was a move which looked decent in principle but which was in practice merely a way for the super rich clubs to pull up the ladder :(

FFP cannot be blamed. There was room to spend massively more this window

Didn't mean this window necessarily (although exactly how much more was available to spend is a matter of debate since we increased our wage bill enormously, it would seem). As a general rule, teams cannot be bankrolled anymore in the way that City and Chelsea were. Moshiri isn't at that level of wealth anyway, but nowadays the only way to actually do it is to invent dodgy sponsorship deals a la PSG and then hope they stand up to legal scrutiny. Whilst it's on a much smaller scale, I did wonder if questions might be asked about our USM deal.

The manager takes the credit, therefore he should take the blame. He came out over a year ago and said we need strikers, he should have applied more pressure for it too happen if its not down to happen.

A replacement for Lukaku or not, its safe to assume this is not a quick fix.
Koeman is ultimately responsible for the players signed and sold, this team is his, little to no excuses left to hide behind.

The attempt at building an attack to replace Lukaku/Barkley this summer was a complete shambles on an unfathomable scale. I just can't understand who sat down and thought, "You know what we should do - sign a has been on 150k a week, spend £45 million on a similar player who plays the same position and who has been merely an above average PL player his whole career and sign an unproven young striker and attacking midfielder from abroad. That should do the job - who needs Lukaku and Barkley anyway!"

Obviously it might not have happened exactly like that but it takes some going to have come up with such a poor outcome. I mean, I like DCL OK, but he's still a kid and yet we're actually at a stage were you could argue that he's become our main replacement for Rom FFS.

It's like when clubs lose a really big player, they can't seem to think straight. Remember what happened with Suarez and Bale too. Mind-boggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.