Who would you replace Lampard with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's just generally different than a European football experience. In many ways that's what draws a lot of us to that experience - there's nothing like it here.

Baseball - will never see a rowdy crowd, except perhaps at Fenway in Boston against the Yankees. It's just the nature of the sport
Hockey - in places like Boston, Philly, etc. sometimes, it'll get rowdy. Especially in the playoffs
NFL - the closest thing you'll get to European soccer. But not in every city - An Eagles game fits the bill - Philly fans are notoriously crazy
NBA - tickets are so expensive, it's generally a wine and cheese crowd there to be entertained

In addition to American sports being more about entertainment than lifestyle, the stoppages in play with American sports kills any vibe to make the atmosphere more electric
College football is probably the closest American sports get. Although like you said there are some NFL fanbases like Philly and Buffalo fans have a great atmospheres

College football is probably the closest American sports get. Although like you said there are some NFL fanbases like Philly and Buffalo fans have a great atmospheres
Haha, fair point. I didn't want to blow their minds that the most rabid fanbases you'd find here is probably college football (particularly any SEC school and a few others sprinkled around) and some college basketball teams. For which the players aren't even paid

Hes accountable now.

Ive said, I have doubts, but that doesnt mean im not giving him at least a full season.

Unless things start looking really bad.
It'll be interesting. I'm pretty confident we won't concede less than a goal a game for the whole year because that's just really, really hard. So when that defensive record gets even slightly worse are we going to find the goals to compensate? That's where really bad starts to pop up.

Eh fair enough, you let me know when he's had enough time and we can start holding him accountable

He is accountable now, but it is a difference of opinion as to how he is doing and the potential.

You think he is doing bad, whereas most on here are understanding of our position and patience is the key here. Under Moyes there was a fair few very rough patches, for a few seasons, before it was more consistently good (take away a couple of starts to the season).

I was very critical of the Fulham performance, but I still believe that there is potential with Lampard to get us to a position where he can either move further forward in his ability or we are in a place where the side is stable but may need another manager to take us to the next step.

We cannot continue down the path we have been on for the past 5/6 seasons, we have to stick with what we have and believe in the process. Don't get me wrong, if we are bottom in February, then we need to have a serious look but what I see right now, this second, is potential to get this club going in the right direction. Just listen to the players talking, it is such a different atmosphere around the club, and we cannot afford to lose that on the basis of a few poor games now and then.

Until the team goes a loooong stretch of playing poorly, this is a silly discussion. In his first season Frank has greatly shored up the defense and midfield, the core of the team, on the cheap. Whether thats because he has an eye for the talent, or is good at convincing that talent to come, whatever it may be, messing with that is foolish. We all know the attack isnt good, so does Frank. But a good manager gets better as time goes on, builds a team with the foundation first, within their means(something people on here have been SCREAMING for), and gets the best out of players while he adapts the team to their strengths AND weaknesses. If he and Thelwell were able to recruit players next summer for the attack, in the same way they did this past summer with the defense, the squad would be in its best place in a long time.

Yeah, it's just generally different than a European football experience. In many ways that's what draws a lot of us to that experience - there's nothing like it here.

Baseball - will never see a rowdy crowd, except perhaps at Fenway in Boston against the Yankees. It's just the nature of the sport
Hockey - in places like Boston, Philly, etc. sometimes, it'll get rowdy. Especially in the playoffs
NFL - the closest thing you'll get to European soccer. But not in every city - An Eagles game fits the bill - Philly fans are notoriously crazy
NBA - tickets are so expensive, it's generally a wine and cheese crowd there to be entertained

In addition to American sports being more about entertainment than lifestyle, the stoppages in play with American sports kills any vibe to make the atmosphere more electric
Yea, the Bruins here are the closest thing to it.
I thought the Celtics would be a better experience but it's kinda like going to a circus!
Not sure I'll ever get in to Baseball and Fenway is supposed to be one of the more atmospheric stadiums.
The Pats is fun if you can get a ticket but my judgement may be clouded by tailgating.
And the Revs atmosphere is beyond awful but I still go a few times a season.
Sometimes they play in Harvard for the Open cup, that's way better.

Franks doing fine.

For the record, since the new summer signings started to play the team has averaged 1.27ppg or on pace for 48. They have only been beaten 3 times since then, away to #3, away to #4, and home to #5.

College football and playoff baseball are probably the closest things to the atmosphere at a big club match, and the NCAA basketball tournament can produce an atmosphere much like that of a cup final under the right conditions.

The big problem with most American sports is that the regular season doesn't matter all that much. Teams are largely playing for seeding, which is an advantage but far from a decisive one. It's more important to be healthy and in form at the end of the season than it is to play well in every game.

As long as the atmosphere is solid at Goodison and we're not in danger of slipping into the relegation zone, Lampard isn't going anywhere. Like Brentford, right now we're a club that can stay up just winning half of our home games against the sides we need to beat, and grinding out points otherwise. Anything else is gravy for us until we have either the funds or player development to fix the problems up front.

I don't think there is another politician that makes me want to throw a punch more than this one. You just know he'd disintegrate with a chin like that. Sums up everything that is wrong with our political system. Imagine the daily humiliation for the good citizens of North Somerset knowing that this sack of cow dung represents you. Anyhow I digress, apologies. Not wanting a change of manager presently as any decent one will jump ship the moment a bigger club comes calling, just like Don Carlo.

It's actually not we just keep it in better perspective I think. The Warriors had amazing playoff crowds back in the day. It helped. The crowd did not win them the title.
Your having a laugh - better perspective ?! So says the one who I think lives in the country where the Super Bowl winners are called world champions, and the the MLB winners are called World Series winners!
A bit of “keeping it in perspective” would suggest they be called national winners surely?

Your having a laugh - better perspective ?! So says the one who I think lives in the country where the Super Bowl winners are called world champions, and the the MLB winners are called World Series winners!
A bit of “keeping it in perspective” would suggest they be called national winners surely?
No mate, not until you get a ball team together and beat us

I don't want Lampard gone. I just have no real faith that at the end of this year or next year or in five years that we'll be much better than 11th to 17th still if he's the guy for that entire time. I understand that it takes time to get the personnel right but along the way you can do things that suggest you've got an idea and a plan.

As much as people want to think we're solid now that is probably not going to last forever if we don't start playing in better areas. We give up too many shots and chances and that isn't because we're bad defensively. It is because we're bad tactically. We could beat the numbers, we wouldn't be the first and we won't be the last, but the numbers are simply that the teams that give up the most shots and chances concede the most goals. I know people like to come at the numbers and talk about "use your eyes" but I feel like that's just a very elementary understanding of the game? You can tell me I'm wrong.

For me the biggest thing we can do this season isn't scoring a ton of goals. It isn't finishing 8th (though it would be nice). It is very simply cutting down the amount of times that we go for 20 or 30 or 40 minutes of a match without sustaining any pressure, creating any chances or having any periods where the opposition isn't pinning us in our own third. Unless you're an elite counter attacking team, and we are not that, it is not sustainable to play this way.

So the question I have is can Frank get that turned around? I personally have not seen anything to suggest he can. I want to emphasize this is not anything but what I've seen. And while it might still be early relatively speaking I think at the same time 30 league games is enough to at least show the bones of it. I don't disagree with anyone who says we're more organized because we are, but I also think you can pluck about 50 managers from the various football leagues and get organization. What else are we getting? Today to me the answer is not a whole lot.

When have we ever gone 20-40 minutes in games not causing pressure? I cant think of a single Everton team in my lifetime who do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.