Who would you replace Lampard with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we did it now whatever since we've got a month to let a new guy prepare. Otherwise you're probably better off waiting until the summer. Unless he starts to do longer term damage.

So you'd be happy to go through 2/3rds of a season with a manager you don't want, risking a relegation you think might come with him in charge, because...

If you want it to be. I think it's pretty easy to both not think he should get sacked today and also be fine with it happening because I feel confident better options exist.

Personally, regardless of better managers existing, we have a manager who is 100% emotionally involved, we haven't had that for a very, very long time. We have a manager who shows he can attract a good level of player, work well with the younger players in not only improving them but giving them confidence to express themselves. He is undoubtedly learning about the tactical side, when to make subs, change the starting 11, etc. Although that is something even the best get wrong from time to time.

My opinion, obviously, but I am struggling to think of one reason to want to get rid of Lampard.

Who, in your opinion, is better than Lampard and achievable/available?

So you'd be happy to go through 2/3rds of a season with a manager you don't want, risking a relegation you think might come with him in charge, because...
Because it's the middle of the season and it's a bad time to make a change. It's also harder to actually hire a useful manager as evidenced by our last mid-season managerial hire.

I thought it was reasonable to sack him in May remember, if we're playing out my ideal timeline for the situation we're already off the rails.

Personally, regardless of better managers existing, we have a manager who is 100% emotionally involved, we haven't had that for a very, very long time. We have a manager who shows he can attract a good level of player, work well with the younger players in not only improving them but giving them confidence to express themselves. He is undoubtedly learning about the tactical side, when to make subs, change the starting 11, etc. Although that is something even the best get wrong from time to time.

My opinion, obviously, but I am struggling to think of one reason to want to get rid of Lampard.

Who, in your opinion, is better than Lampard and achievable/available?
That's the thing with sacking him mid-season. Available is hard to gauge.

Because it's the middle of the season and it's a bad time to make a change. It's also harder to actually hire a useful manager as evidenced by our last mid-season managerial hire.

I thought it was reasonable to sack him in May remember, if we're playing out my ideal timeline for the situation we're already off the rails.

Ah so basically, as a true yank NBA fan, are fine with us tanking this season to then change things up next Summer.

Forgetting we can actually get relegated over here. I see.

Ah so basically, as a true yank NBA fan, are fine with us tanking this season to then change things up next Summer.

Forgetting we can actually get relegated over here. I see.
When did I say that? I don't think Lampard is Ian Holloway or something. I expect we'll be fine-ish. But I also suspect we'll get to the end of the year and still be bending over to find ways to say actually it's fine that we're clawing our way to a point at best in more than half of our matches.

It's because MLS is a distant 5th in the North American team sports landscape, and it's something that's cheaper than the other sports for full families to do. To your point, it's just a day out for families.

Even your true football fans that might go the game with their mates are nothing like something you'd see in Europe - we only watch MLS b/c it's the only live footy we can watch. No one actually cares. Every fan of an MLS team follows some European team as their true passion.
I dunno mate, I've been to loads of sports in the US (basketball, ice hockey, baseball and American football) and most of the crowds are pretty tame. The only exception was seeing an Eagles match at the Linc, that was a rowdy experience and the only time I got the same vibes as for a European football experience

When did I say that? I don't think Lampard is Ian Holloway or something. I expect we'll be fine-ish. But I also suspect we'll get to the end of the year and still be bending over to find ways to say actually it's fine that we're clawing our way to a point at best in more than half of our matches.

Well you don't want us to be fine-ish, so isn't right before a month off for the WC a perfect time to sack a manager and try and finish a season not just fine-ish?

You're writing a lot of posts with reasons not to get rid of someone who for most of your posts you say is properly crap. It's an odd stance to take unless you just want to have something to whinge about till May.

Well you don't want us to be fine-ish, so isn't right before a month off for the WC a perfect time to sack a manager and try and finish a season not just fine-ish?

You're writing a lot of posts with reasons not to get rid of someone who for most of your posts you say is properly crap. It's an odd stance to take unless you just want to have something to whinge about till May.
Yes today is a great day to make a change. The reason not to do it is that unless you're doing a lot of backdooring you can't guarantee the guys you'd want to hire will leave where they are mid-season to take the job. That's really it. So while it isn't a complete disaster it probably isn't the right time to make the move. And at the same time if they did I'd be fine with it because I don't rate the manager.

I think this is reasonable but whatever.

I dunno mate, I've been to loads of sports in the US (basketball, ice hockey, baseball and American football) and most of the crowds are pretty tame. The only exception was seeing an Eagles match at the Linc, that was a rowdy experience and the only time I got the same vibes as for a European football experience
Yeah, it's just generally different than a European football experience. In many ways that's what draws a lot of us to that experience - there's nothing like it here.

Baseball - will never see a rowdy crowd, except perhaps at Fenway in Boston against the Yankees. It's just the nature of the sport
Hockey - in places like Boston, Philly, etc. sometimes, it'll get rowdy. Especially in the playoffs
NFL - the closest thing you'll get to European soccer. But not in every city - An Eagles game fits the bill - Philly fans are notoriously crazy
NBA - tickets are so expensive, it's generally a wine and cheese crowd there to be entertained

In addition to American sports being more about entertainment than lifestyle, the stoppages in play with American sports kills any vibe to make the atmosphere more electric

Yes today is a great day to make a change. The reason not to do it is that unless you're doing a lot of backdooring you can't guarantee the guys you'd want to hire will leave where they are mid-season to take the job. That's really it. So while it isn't a complete disaster it probably isn't the right time to make the move. And at the same time if they did I'd be fine with it because I don't rate the manager.

I think this is reasonable but whatever.
I think sacking managers after 6months is a really, really great idea and im shocked more clubs dont do it.

Oh wait, they do, hello Watford.

Status
Not open for further replies.