Who is to blame? [The Athletic video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fans plus agents Baines and Jagielka effectively pulled the trigger on Martinez.....and like him or loathe him we played our best football of the last 30-odd years during his tenure. A defensive coach brought in at the time and some shrewd defensive signings would have seen us in a very positive position. But hey, we’d have missed out on the glory days and sheer enjoyment of watching Koeman, Allardyce and Benítez at the helm. How very Everton.
To be honest mate I'd have Martinez back. Think he needed to go and have a think about his single minded approach. What he's done for Belgium is great

Cracks have opened into chasms based on appointing a lesser manager than the predecessor.

Last season was our 2nd highest points total since Koeman took over an under performing Martinez side.

We all know the inefficiencies with the squad and the corner we've put ourselves in due to finances and bad buys (majority under Walsh's tenure and a £300mill spend).

However, the same squad finished 10th on 59 points last season, in around European places up until April but couldn't get over the line (due to quality over a whole season).

The change and drop in quality in manager has had a huge effect. A clear aim to improve under Ancelotti for this season was thrown out of the window when Real came calling... however....

Marcel Brands, from my limited understanding, is supposed to be a director of football. Which to me means he should still be able to continue with the "plan" when the manager left. Instead we've brought in Benitez who hasn't.

To me there was a way of getting this squad playing to get results last season. It needed to take a step forward. That has been thrown out by a limited manager and a DoF who doesn't have a grasp on it.
It’s not the same squad without the 20+ goals a season striker, and 15 goals from midfield from james Rodriguez and sigurdson.
Circumstances and injuries have changed the the squad for the worse this season.

We missed the premiership boat from day one of its inception, so chairmen and owners Marsh, Carter, Johnson, Kenwright and Moshiri all have a part in our gradual demise, but no one treaded water for longer than Kenwright.
Whilst teams like Chelsea and City were shaping up from yo-yo clubs into elite European clubs, we were lapping up 20 years of mediocrity (mostly under blue bill)
The sad thing is its very hard to see how this can ever be reversed now - the media have picked their champions and the others are just slowly starved of the oxygen of positive publicity and as every second passes they are reinforced in their position.
The rest like us are doomed to be eternal also rans.

To be honest mate I'd have Martinez back. Think he needed to go and have a think about his single minded approach. What he's done for Belgium is great

Agree with the first bit. Not the 2nd.

What he needed was money to replace that ageing defence & keeper. If he’d have been given half of what if cost to sack him & the whole Koeman>Allardyce>Silva debacle, we’d be in a much better place now.

Biggest mistake we’ve made in the last 10-15 years bar some of the abysmal signings. Football is about entertainment and Martinez was striving for that. More time, and a good defensive coach alongside him would have been the route to take.
Whilst it’s not important to most fans Martinez thoroughly got Everton and bought into the club ethos completely....then we ended up with the likes of Allardyce, Koeman and Benitez. I omit Silva because he had zero time here and was at least someone who wanted to play football.

Denise - The club makes record losses every year and communication with the fans is terrible
Brands - the signings have been [Poor language removed]
Youth set up - never produce any decent players
Medical team - the injury record is horrendous
Kenwright - 25 years of failure with him involved
Moshiri - keeps appointing all these dickheads

All together there is no consistent strategy and no one that is doing a good job

Bin the lot of them

Nope. Nothing to do with goals. It's about defence, organisation, and being hard to beat.

Doms out. Yes. But still -
2020/21
Siggy - 6 goals. 5 assists.
James - 6 goals. 4 assists.

2021/2022
Townsend - 3 goals 2 assists.
Gray - 4 goals. 2 assists.

We've replaced those two players and improved based on mobility and pace. Their numbers after 14 games are likely to match or beat the two players they've replaced. So that myth is put to bed.

Defensively it's the same set of players last season. Mina being the only one missing long term. Digne and Coleman havent been out as long as they were so far this season compared to last where Godfrey and even Davies played left back and Holgate played the majority of his season at right back. So that's another myth done.

Midfield has been a huge battle with Davies, Dukes, Gomes, Delph, Gbammin missing at certain points. However...he's still had enough to play his preferred 2 in midfield system. The problem is...the squad is built for a 3 man midfield not a 2.

Fundamentally yes we have had injuries. But that shouldn't excuse poor organisationz tactics, and planning for hammerings by Villa, Watford, City, RS.

It's not about getting beat, it's the manor of the defeat. If you're talking right 1.0 difference in games, Rafael would more likely be given more benefit of doubt as it's the lack of bodies/quality providing narrow margins. The only game that's happened is against West Ham - a game that could've gone either way.

From my perspective I wonder if he didn't have the balls to go to the board and ask. The guys got a vision for sure but some of the post match interviews at the time kinda put a thought in my head along the lines of my way or the high way. Since then he's gone away matured and looks an all round better manager. That said international football the pressure only hits once a quarter and not full time. End of the day we haven't found a proper manager with the same passion or development of the game

For the past 6 years:

Moshiri, for appointing all the wrong people and not fixing the problems. He threw money at the club and expect things to work out.

Walsh & Koeman - obviously, less said the better.

Brands
Doesn't not own up to his mistakes, I think he said the a fan that he didn't make the transfer decision. Doucure, Iwobi, Moise Kean, Ben Godfrey, Digne, Andre Gomes, Yerry Mina, Gbamin, Nkoulou etc. were all his signings. He may not have put his final signature on paper but might as well be him by leaving things late so that the manager given no choice to sign off on them.

And if by some miracle, he didn't make the transfer, then what the hell has he been doing in the club? It's not like our Youth academy is getting better.

Bill Kenwright
He is the chairman of the club. he should be running the club smoothly. But the medical, scouting, money allocation, branding, etc. have all regressed under his leadership. I'm not too sure what Bill Kenwright does after Moshiri took over.
I might be wrong but I guess kenwrights role at the club is purely to make sure the board are represented at games
We missed the premiership boat from day one of its inception, so chairmen and owners Marsh, Carter, Johnson, Kenwright and Moshiri all have a part in our gradual demise, but no one treaded water for longer than Kenwright.
Whilst teams like Chelsea and City were shaping up from yo-yo clubs into elite European clubs, we were lapping up 20 years of mediocrity (mostly under blue bill)
The sad thing is its very hard to see how this can ever be reversed now - the media have picked their champions and the others are just slowly starved of the oxygen of positive publicity and as every second passes they are reinforced in their position.
The rest like us are doomed to be eternal also rans.
two things you are over looking re: losing ground to chelsea and Man City under kenwrights watch.
1. Russian billionaire / prestigious london address
2. Dubai billionaires / newly built commonwealth stadium.

Yes we were mediocre but millionaires don’t compete with billionaires.

He's the one picking the managers he has to sack constantly.
Agreed, and he’s also the one who can’t keep his nose out of transfers, and has to stop treating them like his own personal train set! Oh and btw stop any communication with Jim flippin’ White!

But why is he having to sack them? What pressures are demanding that?

Is it not obvious that the root cause of the issue here is Ancelotti dropping the club in it

Most of the managers have come with decent CVs but the fact is that they don't get support during difficult runs

Most businesses wouldn't have got off the ground without the ability to persevere through difficult times

Managers like Ferguson and Moyes were allowed poor results in early seasons but had long term success that was helped by a stable platform
The club was a mess long before Ancelotti arrived! From Koeman onwards all the managers have been pretty well supported, but the fact is at least two of them could have taken us down, and this one might as well!

The fans plus agents Baines and Jagielka effectively pulled the trigger on Martinez.....and like him or loathe him we played our best football of the last 30-odd years during his tenure. A defensive coach brought in at the time and some shrewd defensive signings would have seen us in a very positive position. But hey, we’d have missed out on the glory days and sheer enjoyment of watching Koeman, Allardyce and Benítez at the helm. How very Everton.

You can't make defensive signings mid season when we're hovering above the relegation zone mate but nice try.

Status
Not open for further replies.