Who is the best centre half you have seen in an Everton shirt since Kevin Ratcliffe?

Who is the best centre half you have seen in an Everton shirt since Kevin Ratcliffe?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave-Watson.jpg

Nobody else comes close, so there.

Watson, without question.

For me, "the best" is a factor of a players overall contribution, and how long they stayed etc.

I thought Gough and Keown were tremendous players, but gave 2nd preference to Lescott - he was a bloody good defender with us and had a remarkable scoring habit. Never the same player again from the day he left.

Degustation Mountfield for me. Closely followed by Richard Gough.

John Stones will be immense, but sadly not in the RBJ.

Lescott and Jags were a great team - neither were as good apart from each other.

Was really annoyed when Lescott went and even though we got the dosh, the players we spent it on did not really improve us.
True, but Distin for 5 million was canny business - just the other signings didn't work out.

Keown the best I've seen - better player than all of them really (including the Rat), just made his career at another club so tough to compare with Everton greats like the Rat and Dave Watson.
Two very hard players there, Keown and Watson - centre mid is for the phony hard men, the big time charlies, the handbag merchants - centre halves like Watson were and are cut from a different cloth.

Difficult choice this.

Honourable mentions must go to Mountfield and Lescott for their goals; Weir and Gough for pure defensive quality; Rhino for being a Blue.

Lescott and Jags as a duo were very close to Ratcliffe and Mountfield.

I don't think we saw the very best of Keown in a blue shirt, his best days were undoubtedly with the Arsenal.

Overall though and from the list offered, Watson probably comes out on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.