Who is an Everton player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadaToffee

Player Valuation: £10m
This thread is based on something in Sharpy's book (if you haven't read if, wtf are you waiting for?). He talks about the demise of the great eighties team in terms of bringing in players that did not have the team spirit, win at all costs mentality. He has a real go at Cottee, and McCall and others as well, on this score. He points to Andy Gray's departure as the turning point.

Got me thinking - Moyes has been building a team that, in terms of intensity, will to win, and team spirit, is moving in the right direction. Players that would meet Sharp's definition of a true Everton player (attitude and mentality) would definitely include most of our squad IMO. You can see how much winning means to most of them (and how much losing hurts).

Clearly VDM does not fit this definition. Who else? And who does of the players we'vce been linked with in the market - Nugent, etc.?

If you look at the bench after our first goal against Charlton you'll see VDM jumping up and down like a loony despite the goal meaning he wouldn't get on as a sub. It's hard to say how he's been behind closed doors but he seemed part of the team then all right.

I honestly believe that DM would do his best to suss out any dissenters. VDM would have been a strange bod indeed if he didn't show any emotion sitting on the bench when his team scored, how can that incident explain his statements in the media, his breaking of club discipline codes, constant moaning about how harshly he has been dealt with and a list of trivial injuries as long as your arm. The only place he has yet to do any talking is on the pitch, farewell my little Dutch waster I want you gone.:angry: :angry:

Back to your question CT, I doubt if Rooneys attitude would have helped the dressing room team, his surly attitude would sever to upset one or two especially when he insists he's always right. I always felt that Tommy G was a team man, loved to get involved on the park, first to moan but always first to celebrate.;)

Picking from the present squad I'd opt for either Stubbsy or little Lee as shining examples for the kids to copy in both manner and attitude towards the club and its supporters. Phil nevile, although I'm not completely satisfied with his worth to the team is certainly an exscellent pro and a good ambassador as well.;) ;)

COYB

Little Lee = Carsley

Little Leon = Osman

Simple my friends;)

I'd also throw Hibbo's name into the hat. Goes about his job well and always gives 100%.Never see him moaning. Complete opposite of Rooney really. Ironic seeing asd they signed for us on the same day.

I'd have to say most oif the current squad fit the bill (or are well on the way to doing so in the case of Vaughan & Anicehebe). A little surprised none of you mentioned Cahill, I don't think I've ever seen a more intensely competitive player out there.

I think this is where some of the signings that Newcastle and Spurs have made in recent years fall down. They may have ability, but too many are not team players. Looking at Spurs: Jenas, Ghaly, Tainio, Huddlestone among others seem to just shrug it off when they lose - no big deal to them. That's the type of player we do not want at everton.

I agree with CT, the players he mentions like many of those who have gone to the RS, Chelski etc are money merchants.

We're in a great situation where aside from one or two players *Cough* VDM *Cough*, every player wants to play for us. We are a big club, and finally we're up there where we belong in the top region of the Premiership. Well done Davey Moyes for keeping that spirit amongst the players

For all of you voting for Davey Moyes, sorry lads this happens to be PLAYER of the year award....................Mr Everton fails to qualify I'm afraid

Far be it from me to defend a richer, younger man with a decidedly hotter girlfriend/missus and a flashier car, but I think a VDM is a player we will surely see the value of in the coming year. (Unless he's out the door next window?) I guess Im making this point, because I want to see him do well. And hopefully with Europe around the corner, we'll need someone like him in the squad. Hes a creative type, and I'll bet Moyes managerial learning curve has extended with him in the squad. Sure he could be a mistake, and appears to be so far, but who knows what's going on there.

I honestly believe that Moyes knows the ingredients to cook a superb team. He's studied the United recipe and now he has almost the right mix. I think a great team is made with players who have decent skill and commitment levels (higher for our cause of course!) but have a key attribute that makes them lethal when they are together. They arent individuals on the park because they dont have all the strengths, but as a team they ROCK!

Carsley, Cahill, Vaughan, Anichebe, Lescott, Johnson.

All with an intense will-to-win attitude.

No howard? He reminds me of schmeichel as in he keeps his defence in order, the back five we have now should stay together for a few years to come, maybe with a decent LB to come in.. where has young paddy gone?

No howard? He reminds me of schmeichel as in he keeps his defence in order, the back five we have now should stay together for a few years to come, maybe with a decent LB to come in.. where has young paddy gone?

Good point, Rob - you don't see Howard smile - reminds me of Nev in way.

Status
Not open for further replies.