Who can't handle it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the reasons ive already said i dont think its Yobo or Lecott, the problem for me has been bad defending comprimised by poor midfiled protection ive been saying it since the first game. The biggest challenge in the cloose season was finding a DM and we havnt thats the problem and the enitre midfeild is a ruderless ship it doesnt defend or attack as a unit, and presently they are not playing with any cohesion, or team etthic or awarness.

I still think the Yak isnt offering us much, in terms of battleing qualities or getting stuck in, nor showing appetite for a battle ill happily be wrong on that but i think that irkes moyes. Howard isnt a top goalkeeper i dont care what anyone says hes average with a really poor temprement. Although everyones balmiing the defence i disagree the problems in the midfeild for me, Ossie is a good player but shouldnt be an automatic starter, nor should Neville, Hibbert, im not criticising those players but the roles within the team and club Moyes is asking them to fill is just beyond their capability.

Big question marks for me over-

Ossie
Yak
Neville
Hibbert

What is Lescott proven in though? He's never been in this situation with Everton, we've never been this bad or struggled this much since he joined. He just hasn't looked good, he has looked confident and he's made vital mistakes.

Maybe it could be Yak, I think Moyesy knows that he isn't that type of player though. He's laid back, he always has been and he always will be. If it was him surely he'd drop him? He has good options in Vaughan, Anichebe and Saha.

I can't agree with you on Osman, if there is one person who has given his all and performed it's him. He's a must in the team for me, I don't see an adequate replacement.

Neville maybe, he certainly isn't a leader for me. He never has been and his performances on the pitch don't inspire the team.

What is Lescott proven in though? He's never been in this situation with Everton, we've never been this bad or struggled this much since he joined. He just hasn't looked good, he has looked confident and he's made vital mistakes.

Maybe it could be Yak, I think Moyesy knows that he isn't that type of player though. He's laid back, he always has been and he always will be. If it was him surely he'd drop him? He has good options in Vaughan, Anichebe and Saha.

I can't agree with you on Osman, if there is one person who has given his all and performed it's him. He's a must in the team for me, I don't see an adequate replacement.

Neville maybe, he certainly isn't a leader for me. He never has been and his performances on the pitch don't inspire the team.

Well for me what we have been talking about is players I can see Moyes either continueing with in the building of a new team or not. Lescott is class simple, i disagree with you very much in terms of his performences, granted he had a couple of bad ones at leftback, but he is quality, and is an essential part of any future team, for me at centre left back, i think he has played consistently there in the last few games. Perhaps he has been a victim of his own success, last season was a freak of a season for him again he probably will never score that many goals again. I dont think presently he desrves some of the criticism being fired at him, but for me its mainly because his profile has been raised over the past two years. Ive said many times on here my prefered partnership is Yobo and Lescott id drop Jags, i dont think he deserves to be dropped but i think Yobo and Lescoot are better players and defenders. The problem for me though isnt at centre back as ive said. I like Baines a lot, i know many have question marks over him but i think he suffers from the indecison in terms of our team and Moyes management stlye presently in not having a familiar system or sense of cohesion in the team. Frankly Neville and Hibbert arent good enough i cant see either deserving being in a new team, squadies at best. Howard shouldnt be our first choice keeper either, i just dont think hes good enough. Again what the defence lacks is an aparent sense of leadership, Yobo, Jags, Lescott presently seem unable to lead form the back, or play the ball sensiby at the moment and i think a lot of the hoof ball is dictated by a lack of faith and trust in the midfild.

Our midfiled is woefull, Fellini is a good player, and will be a good player, but in terms of being the leader on the pitch we need hes just not there at the moment. Defensive midfeild is awfull Carsleys loss to the team is immense not only in playing, but in terms of leadership and giving others the confidence, reasurance and protection needed. Our midfild hasnt played as a unit since he has left and look unsure of them selves and devoid of options since hes left. Arteta is a must keep, but he will never dictate a game he can win us games but will never be the man who makes us tick in the centre i know you disagree with me on that, i just dont see it. Young Rodwell looks promising but again will be a player, but he has to little expierence at the moment for what we need. Ossies a good player if he ws four inches taller and weighed an extra three stone i think he would be the best player in the country. Hes a smashing tryer and on his day he has amazing techniuque. Simple fact is hes to light to be competitive at this level in midfeild, im sorry its the truth, If we signed say Mounthino who do you think will give way, if Cahill comes back who will give way it will be Ossie, and the simple fact is, he will always be ok at this level but not amazing and that is only down to his stature and how it impacts his effectiveness. Pienaar, is a good player but hes a sqaure peg is a round hole, hes not a winger and if he is, there are better out there, if i was building a team i dont know wheather i would have him as essentialy our left/right winger. Maybe play centrally or as a squad player. Cahill role at the club will waine i beleive in the next few years, injuries will increase, time will set in and his role will be less and less. IMO. So for me we need at least three or four new midfeilders with the right blend to play as an attaking and defensive unit. Make no mistake this is where our problems lie. Rodwell, Baxter and Gosling may come in possibly Akpan too who i have hopes for, but will fans have the paitence with them learning probably not! I mean people are getting a bit trigger happy, so its going to be hard to blood these players.

Im a big Yak fan, always have been, i dont accept though that when things arent that easy that you dont battle, I dont think he does, I think Moyes doesnt like this, but at the same time he isnt stupid he knows if he gets two chances ones going in, ive always had a concern about the Yak that hes a bit mercinary, I dont think he cares to much about the club if im honest, and at times this shows in his performences, he would be in any future team, but wheather he stays or not i dont know. Saha up untill this point hasnt impressed me, i know hes a good player but like the Yak hasnt looked up for a fight or a battle, ive been dissapointed with that, especially when he and yak have played together as their both big boys, i dont see him having a huge role in terms of the clubs future. Vic and Vaughan i like immensely, id love to see one or both of them get a run in the team as their aggrssion is exactly what we need presently, If we keep the Two V's and Yak and add another striker, that would be sufficent for the future.

To be honest i would at present be looking to change almost 50% of our starting eleven and useing the likes of Osman, Hibbert, Howard, Neville, Pienaar, Cahill more as squad players with direct replacements beign brought in for their positions, youngster being blooded and for God sake will someone buy a DM midfilder who can control a midfeild defensively at the very least.

Last edited:
What we could really do with is Rodders and Fellaini becoming great mates and bossing the midfield together. I honestly think if Moyesy told Rodwell that he was the most important player in the team and that he was in charge of the midfield, he would handle it.

Well for me what we have been talking about is players I can see Moyes either continueing with in the building of a new team or not. Lescott is class simple, i disagree with you very much in terms of his performences, granted he had a couple of bad ones at leftback, but he is quality, and is an essential part of any future team, for me at centre left back, i think he has played consistently there in the last few games. Perhaps he has been a victim of his own success, last season was a freak of a season for him again he probably will never score that many goals again. I dont think presently he desrves some of the criticism being fired at him, but for me its mainly because his profile has been raised over the past two years. Ive said many times on here my prefered partnership is Yobo and Lescott id drop Jags, i dont think he deserves to be dropped but i think Yobo and Lescoot are better players and defenders. The problem for me though isnt at centre back as ive said. I like Baines a lot, i know many have question marks over him but i think he suffers from the indecison in terms of our team and Moyes management stlye presently in not having a familiar system or sense of cohesion in the team. Frankly Neville and Hibbert arent good enough i cant see either deserving being in a new team, squadies at best. Howard shouldnt be our first choice keeper either, i just dont think hes good enough. Again what the defence lacks is an aparent sense of leadership, Yobo, Jags, Lescott presently seem unable to lead form the back, or play the ball sensiby at the moment and i think a lot of the hoof ball is dictated by a lack of faith and trust in the midfild.

Our midfiled is woefull, Fellini is a good player, and will be a good player, but in terms of being the leader on the pitch we need hes just not there at the moment. Defensive midfeild is awfull Carsleys loss to the team is immense not only in playing, but in terms of leadership and giving others the confidence, reasurance and protection needed. Our midfild hasnt played as a unit since he has left and look unsure of them selves and devoid of options since hes left. Arteta is a must keep, but he will never dictate a game he can win us games but will never be the man who makes us tick in the centre i know you disagree with me on that, i just dont see it. Young Rodwell looks promising but again will be a player, but he has to little expierence at the moment for what we need. Ossies a good player if he ws four inches taller and weighed an extra three stone i think he would be the best player in the country. Hes a smashing tryer and on his day he has amazing techniuque. Simple fact is hes to light to be competitive at this level in midfeild, im sorry its the truth, If we signed say Mounthino who do you think will give way, if Cahill comes back who will give way it will be Ossie, and the simple fact is, he will always be ok at this level but not amazing and that is only down to his stature and how it impacts his effectiveness. Pienaar, is a good player but hes a sqaure peg is a round hole, hes not a winger and if he is, there are better out there, if i was building a team i dont know wheather i would have him as essentialy our left/right winger. Maybe play centrally or as a squad player. Cahill role at the club will waine i beleive in the next few years, injuries will increase, time will set in and his role will be less and less. IMO. So for me we need at least three or four new midfeilders with the right blend to play as an attaking and defensive unit. Make no mistake this is where our problems lie. Rodwell, Baxter and Gosling may come in possibly Akpan too who i have hopes for, but will fans have the paitence with them learning probably not! I mean people are getting a bit trigger happy, so its going to be hard to blood these players.

Im a big Yak fan, always have been, i dont accept though that when things arent that easy that you dont battle, I dont think he does, I think Moyes doesnt like this, but at the same time he isnt stupid he knows if he gets two chances ones going in, ive always had a concern about the Yak that hes a bit mercinary, I dont think he cares to much about the club if im honest, and at times this shows in his performences, he would be in any future team, but wheather he stays or not i dont know. Saha up untill this point hasnt impressed me, i know hes a good player but like the Yak hasnt looked up for a fight or a battle, ive been dissapointed with that, especially when he and yak have played together as their both big boys, i dont see him having a huge role in terms of the clubs future. Vic and Vaughan i like immensely, id love to see one or both of them get a run in the team as their aggrssion is exactly what we need presently, If we keep the Two V's and Yak and add another striker, that would be sufficent for the future.

To be honest i would at present be looking to change almost 50% of our starting eleven and useing the likes of Osman, Hibbert, Howard, Neville, Pienaar, Cahill more as squad players with direct replacements beign brought in for their positions, youngster being blooded and for God sake will someone buy a DM midfilder who can control a midfeild defensively at the very least.

Good post mate, lots of good points.;)

I'm not saying Lescott is any lesser of a player to last year but he has struggled through this poor patch. For the last three games he's been alot better but he's not up to scratch at the moment. He's not even playing to half of his level, at times yesterday he looked weak and even RVP outpaced him a few times. He'll come good, I think we all know that.

I still feel Jagielka is needed in there, if there is anyone who does communicate and does lead by example it's him. He's also a nononsence gritty defender. Yobo and Lescott are quiet and neither are defenders who are going to put there body on the line, they just don't have that mentality and it's needed. You look at Carvalho and Terry for example, a good mixture of composure and steel. Jagielka is the only one who offers us that steel.

On Arteta, I'm worried about him to be honest. I've only seen one what I'd call all round performance from him all season and that was against Standard Liege when he played on the left.

We are playing him on the right at the moment and it isn't working. He sticks to the byline, he's double marked and he can't cut inside and influence the game. If we want to improve I think it's vital that we find a role that suits him and makes him get involved.

It's on the left or in the middle for me, I think we should atleast give him a go in the middle and see how he goes. He's our only player who can keep the ball under pressure and i'd also say he's our best passer. Obviously all this would have to be in a 4-5-1, I think it would really suit him given a run of games. At the moment we are getting nothing from him. He's not influencing games.

I disagree big time on Osman, if we buy a player like Moutinho then fair enough, there's no doubting he'd make way then. At the moment though he is a must in the team and he's proven he can compete in the middle of the park against the bigger boys. I remember him playing centrally against Portsmouth last season, he and Cahill where superb and that was against big powerful athletes. As far as I'm concerened he's a must in the current team.

I like Fellaini, I also think he is going to be a good player for us but where do you fit him in at the moment? He's not a defensive midfielder and he isn't creative enough to play in the middle. Osman is certainly the better option in there, Osman scores goals and links well with Pienaar and Arteta.

Do we play him in Cahill's position? I thought he looked very good in that role against Arsenal. He was holding the ball up well and linking, he was winning headers and he was making himself a nuisense. I just don't know where he fits in at the moment, sooner or later Moyes is going to have to decide. Is he going to be our ball winner, our central midfielder or play in the Cahill role. He can't keep changing him.

What we could really do with is Rodders and Fellaini becoming great mates and bossing the midfield together. I honestly think if Moyesy told Rodwell that he was the most important player in the team and that he was in charge of the midfield, he would handle it.

It could be worth a try, the season doesn't seem to be getting anywhere so we may aswell experiment.

In a 4-5-1 or a 4-4-2?

I thought Fellaini looked very good in the Cahill role on Saturday, he looks more comfortable in a more advanced role.

It could be worth a try, the season doesn't seem to be getting anywhere so we may aswell experiment.

In a 4-5-1 or a 4-4-2?

I thought Fellaini looked very good in the Cahill role on Saturday, he looks more comfortable in a more advanced role.

Agreed.

Like the reasons ive already said i dont think its Yobo or Lecott, the problem for me has been bad defending comprimised by poor midfiled protection ive been saying it since the first game. The biggest challenge in the cloose season was finding a DM and we havnt thats the problem and the enitre midfeild is a ruderless ship it doesnt defend or attack as a unit, and presently they are not playing with any cohesion, or team etthic or awarness.

I still think the Yak isnt offering us much, in terms of battleing qualities or getting stuck in, nor showing appetite for a battle ill happily be wrong on that but i think that irkes moyes. Howard isnt a top goalkeeper i dont care what anyone says hes average with a really poor temprement. Although everyones balmiing the defence i disagree the problems in the midfeild for me, Ossie is a good player but shouldnt be an automatic starter, nor should Neville, Hibbert, im not criticising those players but the roles within the team and club Moyes is asking them to fill is just beyond their capability.

Big question marks for me over-

Ossie
Yak
Neville
Hibbert

Mate please tell me thats a wind up. Agree with your point but ossie has been are best player by far. An he'd be my 1st on the team sheet at the moment. In fact i'd say he's are most important player in the squad.

As for moyes, he changing his managment style. Wether its a good thing, we''l see soon.

Mate please tell me thats a wind up. Agree with your point but ossie has been are best player by far. An he'd be my 1st on the team sheet at the moment. In fact i'd say he's are most important player in the squad.

As for moyes, he changing his managment style. Wether its a good thing, we''l see soon.

Mate Ossie is a good player, in fact your right when you say hes one of our best players at the moment. Im not saying that hes brutal. Prenently your right he shouldnt be out of the team because hes playing with form, and is one of the few if not the only one consistently playing with a bit of heart, passion and is a battler, his techniuqe is fantastic. I am speaking primarily about taking the team forward, Ossie wouldnt be in my plans for the starting 11 in bulding a new team, in the squad definitely, but in the starting 11 no. I mean what i say when i say if he was five inches taller and weighed another four stone i think he would be one of the best players in the country, the decideing factor for me is size, this doesnt stop him being a good player, but it stops him being a great player and i want a great player in our midfiled. Again this isnt a criticism rather a critiuqe and what we need to target in terms of progression and development. I just feel his size, no matter how big his heart his will always limit his effectiveness and always undermine his obvious talent. A sqaud player yes, 20 or so games a season yes, but the man to be building our midfild around no, and thats the type of player i want in the midfiled.

Like i say there is yards of improvement in our first team, and i think alot of players are being found out in terms of there versititlity at the moment, while i think Moyes is being found out for playing square pegs in round holes too. Its not hard for other teams to look at our team and work out our style of play, our danger men, and counter the threat, our system and style of play has been sussed by other teams and we're not being aloud to play the way we have. Unfortunatley this has coincided with a transition in the team uin terms of personal which makes the challenges we face all the more probblamatic and this is being seen in results.

Good post mate, lots of good points.;)

I'm not saying Lescott is any lesser of a player to last year but he has struggled through this poor patch. For the last three games he's been alot better but he's not up to scratch at the moment. He's not even playing to half of his level, at times yesterday he looked weak and even RVP outpaced him a few times. He'll come good, I think we all know that.

I still feel Jagielka is needed in there, if there is anyone who does communicate and does lead by example it's him. He's also a nononsence gritty defender. Yobo and Lescott are quiet and neither are defenders who are going to put there body on the line, they just don't have that mentality and it's needed. You look at Carvalho and Terry for example, a good mixture of composure and steel. Jagielka is the only one who offers us that steel.

On Arteta, I'm worried about him to be honest. I've only seen one what I'd call all round performance from him all season and that was against Standard Liege when he played on the left.

We are playing him on the right at the moment and it isn't working. He sticks to the byline, he's double marked and he can't cut inside and influence the game. If we want to improve I think it's vital that we find a role that suits him and makes him get involved.

It's on the left or in the middle for me, I think we should atleast give him a go in the middle and see how he goes. He's our only player who can keep the ball under pressure and i'd also say he's our best passer. Obviously all this would have to be in a 4-5-1, I think it would really suit him given a run of games. At the moment we are getting nothing from him. He's not influencing games.

I disagree big time on Osman, if we buy a player like Moutinho then fair enough, there's no doubting he'd make way then. At the moment though he is a must in the team and he's proven he can compete in the middle of the park against the bigger boys. I remember him playing centrally against Portsmouth last season, he and Cahill where superb and that was against big powerful athletes. As far as I'm concerened he's a must in the current team.

I like Fellaini, I also think he is going to be a good player for us but where do you fit him in at the moment? He's not a defensive midfielder and he isn't creative enough to play in the middle. Osman is certainly the better option in there, Osman scores goals and links well with Pienaar and Arteta.

Do we play him in Cahill's position? I thought he looked very good in that role against Arsenal. He was holding the ball up well and linking, he was winning headers and he was making himself a nuisense. I just don't know where he fits in at the moment, sooner or later Moyes is going to have to decide. Is he going to be our ball winner, our central midfielder or play in the Cahill role. He can't keep changing him.

I think we both agree on Lescott mate he will come good. The Jags Yobo debate theres very little in it. I appreciate Jags i really do and i agree hes one of the few charicters we have in the team presently. Hes an old school waggy defender no messing around last ditch challenges, defend the goal at all costs, row z style. However whats the impact of this? yes its effective but it has an impact on our style of play, while it also gives the ball straight bact to the opposition. I would describe Lescott as a composed player he can very easily pass the ball to the midfield, winger etc under pressure he has a football brain. Jags for me although effective sets a tone of anxiety and last ditchness when there doesnt really need to be, the safety first option is effective, but it creates anxiety in the defensive unit and a tone of get it awy at all costs when there doesnt need to be giving possecion straight back to the opposition. So on the right we have neville/hibbert jags lashing the ball away at all costs which results in giving possecion straight back to the opposition and coming under the cosh again. While on the left we have Lescott or Baines trying to play the ball away to find a man or out of defence. In that sense the distribution from the back is eneven. Im a big Yobo fan, i know he has some flaws his concentration being one, but hes a great defender we sometimes dont see that because we have learned to expect from him rather then appreciate him, as hes been here so long. But he and Lescott give a better balance to our defence in terms of finding men, and building form the back, rather then giving possession back to the opposition. Yobo should be more of a leader as he is probably our longest serving player and the fact he is his countrys captain he should be doing more, but in terms of ball retention and ability to form a foundation of attack and find a man from the back he and lescott are the better options IMO.

Lets be honest about Arteta hes been found out. His best season for us was two yers ago, but taking that in to context he was a good player for us before that, but not the great player he was that season. In many ways in that year he was an known entity his role surprised teams and he suddenly became Evertons primary danger man, in many ways other teams werent prepared at that time, but they are now. They know he can send in a ball, they know he will cut inside, they know hes Evertons sole creative force and as such they stick two men on him and snuff him out of a game, from his persepctive he has to beat a right winger and a full back to be effective, and its become more challengeing. I would be prepared to play him maybe in the hole behind the front two just to change how we are playing as we are to predictable. We need to be more of a threat centrally, but then who do you play on the flanks, please dont say who i think you will say. If he was given a free role in behind the strikers i think he could spray balls either left or right to full backs/wingers, play the stirkers in, or try and carry the bal into the box. I dont seee him in the engine room though.

Ive made my points about Ossie mate, i like him hes a good player and certainly my comments are a crituqe rather then a critism, hel always be a good player but not a great player and the only reason for this is his stature, he compensates so much for it with heart, vision., techniuqe and battleing but his size will always stop him form being a great player and i want great players in the team. I know theres no alternative presently but his is one postion i would be targeting. I disagree i dont think he can competete with the big boys hel try but its not effective and thats the point of it at the end of the day. Ive lost count of the many times down through the years of when hes been muscled of the ball or lost and ive shouted ref, sometimes there given sometimes there not, im sorry his stature is just to small for where he wants to play, its a huge shame because like i say only for it, hes the best player in the country, but its a fact none the less.

Fellini for me is and will and should be the pace maker of the side the man who keeps things ticking over, we need to get out on the mindset of DM and AM he should cover the ground from box to box, accept the ball in situations around either box and use it to find players and keep the game flowing, he needs to be the linch between whoever playes the midfild advanced role and the midfeild defnsive role, while also being competive, arriving in the box and generally having a go, i see him as being almost our fly half in the team he should be the one who turns over our play he has it in him but theres room for imporvement. Our midfiled is woefully unbalanced, unorgnaised and not playing as a unit either attacking or defensively so while i think we can all see his attributes, hes not playing with in a system, nore is anyone in the midfiled and thats why we are all saying, whats his best poistion.

Personaly i would play a five man midfiled with an anchor protecting the defence, and two advanced midfilders and two wingers. Like

----------------DM

Winger----Fellini-----MF-----Winger

Which should change and adapt during a game depending on how its going to say.

----------------Dm

Winger----------Fellini-----------Winger

----------------Midfilder

Like i say the front four should have the ability to rotate positions either by the wings switching or Fellini switching with the advanced midfilder.

I think we need another four midfilders. We need a DM midfilder no messing around drop 15 mill on it and have done with it, we need that second midfilder wheather it be Mouthino or whoever again drop 15 mill on it. We also need to convential wingers, i like Downing, Obinna, Kightly, Jarviis, Barnes et al but we need two to offer options to the sqaud, Pienaar and Arteta are being found out, we need different creative sources and options. They would also allow us to maybe think of useing Arteta and Pienarr more centrally.

Anyhow thats just my thoughts like i say unless theres a drastic improvement in midfiled and im not so sure there will be, im expecting a midtable season.[/quote]

Last edited:
I think we both agree on Lescott mate he will come good. The Jags Yobo debate there very little in it. I appreciate Jags i really do and i agree hes one of the few charicters we have in the team presently. Hes an old school waggy defender no messing around last ditch challenges, defend the goal at all costs, row z style. However whats the impact of this, yes its effective but it has an impact on our style of play. I would describe Lescott as a cvomposed player he can very easily pass the ball to the midfeled, winger etc under pressure he has a football brain. Jags for me although effective sets a tone of anxiety and last ditchness when there doesnt really need to be, the saefty first option is effective, but it creates anxiety in the defensive unit and a tone of get it awy at all costs so on the right we have neville/hibbery jags lashing the ball away at all costs which results in giving possecions straight back to the opposition and coming under the cosh again. While on the left we have Lescott or Baines trying to play the ball away to find a man. In that sense the distribution form the back is eneven. Im a big Yobo fan, i know he has some flaws his concentration being one, but hes a great defender we sometimes dont see that because we have learned to expcet form him rather then appreciate his as hes been here so long. But he and Lescott give a better balance to our defence in terms of finding men, rather then giving possession back to the opposition. Yobo should be more of a leader as he is probably our longest serving player and the fact he is his countrys captain he should be doing more, but in terms of ball retention and ability to form a foundation of attcak and find a man form the back he and lescott are the better options IMO.

Lets be honest about Arteta hes been found out, His best season for us was two yers ago, but taking that in to context he was a good player for us before that not the great player he was that season. In many ways in that year he was an known entity his role surprised teams and he suddenly became Evertons primary danger man, in many ways othert eams werent prepared for that they are know. They know he can send in a ball, they know he will cut inside, they know hes Evertons sole creative force and as such they stick to men on him and snuff him out of a game, from his persepctive he has to beat a right winger and a full back to be effective, and its become more challengeing. I would be prepared to play him maybe in hole behind the front two just to change how we are playing as we are to predictable. We need to be more of a threat centrally, but then who do yu play on the flanks, please dont say who i think you will say. If he was given a free role in behind the strikers i think he could spray balls either left or right to full backs wingers, play the stirkers in, or try and carry the bal into the box. I dont seee imin the engine room though.

Ive made my points about Ossie mate, i like him hes a good player and certainly my comments are a crituqe rather then a critism, hel always be a good player but not a great player and the only reason for this is his stature, he compensates so much for it with heart, vision., techniuqe and battleing but his size will always stop him form being a great player and i want great players in the team. I know theres no alternative presently but his is one postion i would be targeting. I disagree i dont think he can copetete with the big boys hel try but its not effective and thats the point of it at the end of the day. Ive lost times down through the years of how hes been muscled of the ball or lost and shouted ref, sometimes there given sometimes there not, im sorry his stature is just to small for where he wants to play, its a huge shame because like i say only for it hes the best player in the country, but its a fact none the less.

Fellini for me is and will and should be the pace maker of the side the man who keeps things ticking over, we need to get out on the mindset of DM and AM he should cover the ground from box to box, accept the ball in situations around either box and use it to find players and keep the game flowing, he needs to be the linch between whoever playes the midfild advanced role and the midfeild defnsive role, while also being competive, arriving in the box and generally having a go, i see him as being almost our fly half in the team he should be the one who turns over our play he has it in him but theres rtoom for imporvement. Our midfiled is woefully unbalanced, unorgnaised and not playing as a unit either attackingly or defensively so while i think we can all see his attributes, hes not playing with in a system, noe is anyone in the midfiled and that why we are all saying we whats his best poistion.

Persoanly i would play a five man midfiled with an anchor protecting the defnce, and two advanced midfilders and two wingers. Like

----------------DM

Winger----Fellini-----MF-----Winger

Which should change and adapt during a game depending on how its going to say.

----------------Dm

Winger----------Fellini-----------Winger

----------------Midfilder

Like i say the fornt four should have the ability to rotate positions either by the wings switching or Fellini switching with the midfilder.

I think we need another four midfilders. We need a DM midfilder no messing around drop 15 mill on it and have done with it, we need that second midfilder wheather it be Mouthino or whoever again drop 15 mill on it. We also need to convential wingers, i like Downing, Obinna, Kightly, Jarviis, Barnes et al but we need two to offer options to the sqaud Pienaar and Arteta are being found out, we need different creative sources and otions. They would also allow us to maybe think of useing Arteta and Pienarr mire centrally.

Anyhow thats just my thoughts like i say unless theres a drastic improvement in midfiled and im not so sure there will be im expecting a midtable season.

I just look at the top teams and they all have creative, technical midfielders in central positions. Look at Fabregas at Arsenal, he's not a box to box physical midfielder but he is a play maker. Arsenal put him in the middle and tell him to pull the strings.

I'm not saying Arteta is on his level by any means but he is a poor mans Fabregas. He can get hold of the ball and keep it, he can pass the ball both short and long distances and he is intelligent. He's one of our few players who can see a forward pass.

I don't see the point in going out and buying a Moutinho when we have a similar player in Arteta. Arteta is actually more creative. We concentrate far too much on players with engines and work ethic, personally I'd rather put someone in there who can control and keep the ball. If you keep the ball you don't have to do all this running about a chasing, Arteta can keep the ball in any situation. If he doesn't he'll win you a freekick.

If we get a winger in January I'd like to see him moved in there, we should atleast try and see whether he can do a job. He is a centre midfielder by trade, he fits the bill of what we need.

I just look at the top teams and they all have creative, technical midfielders in central positions. Look at Fabregas at Arsenal, he's not a box to box physical midfielder but he is a play maker. Arsenal put him in the middle and tell him to pull the strings.

I'm not saying Arteta is on his level by any means but he is a poor mans Fabregas. He can get hold of the ball and keep it, he can pass the ball both short and long distances and he is intelligent. He's one of our few players who can see a forward pass.

I don't see the point in going out and buying a Moutinho when we have a similar player in Arteta. Arteta is actually more creative. We concentrate far too much on players with engines and work ethic, personally I'd rather put someone in there who can control and keep the ball. If you keep the ball you don't have to do all this running about a chasing, Arteta can keep the ball in any situation. If he doesn't he'll win you a freekick.

If we get a winger in January I'd like to see him moved in there, we should atleast try and see whether he can do a job. He is a centre midfielder by trade, he fits the bill of what we need.

I disagree with that mate, in fact again i think thats pary of the problem, the team are not working hard enough within a good system to many of them are not abtlleing as they should, or looseing individual battles, you have to earn the right to play your game by doing the dirty stuff first, currently there are very few in our team ddoing that and again thats were we miss Lee Carsley.

I disagree with that mate, in fact again i think thats pary of the problem, the team are not working hard enough within a good system to many of them are not abtlleing as they should, or looseing individual battles, you have to earn the right to play your game by doing the dirty stuff first, currently there are very few in our team ddoing that and again thats were we miss Lee Carsley.

The work rate is fine bar one or two players, I agree though we don't have anyone who can do the dirty work. Lee Carsley wasn't a great player by any means but thats what he did.

It's all down to Moyes though, mate. It's quite obvious he's bought the wrong players. He has ages to replace Carsley, it didn't have to be someone amazing just someone who could do the basics like Carsley did. Instead he loaned an Ecaudorian who isn't that type of player.

The players can only play the way they play. You won't get the likes of Arteta, Pienaar and Osman battling and winning physical battles. Moyes knew this, it just wouldn't happen.

The style of play is also a problem, we are a long ball team and we have been for alot of our time under Moyes. Now we don't have the likes of Ferguson, Carsley, Stubbs, Kilbane, Bent etc to make that type of football work yet Moyes is still persisting with it.

It doesn't work, he needs to get them playing in a way that suits them.

Really could've done with Victor Ob. Our system is just [Poor language removed], simple as that. Haven't got the players to play 451, Moyes doesn't wanna play anythin else. Waddyagonnado.

The work rate is fine bar one or two players, I agree though we don't have anyone who can do the dirty work. Lee Carsley wasn't a great player by any means but thats what he did.

It's all down to Moyes though, mate. It's quite obvious he's bought the wrong players. He has ages to replace Carsley, it didn't have to be someone amazing just someone who could do the basics like Carsley did. Instead he loaned an Ecaudorian who isn't that type of player.

The players can only play the way they play. You won't get the likes of Arteta, Pienaar and Osman battling and winning physical battles. Moyes knew this, it just wouldn't happen.

The style of play is also a problem, we are a long ball team and we have been for alot of our time under Moyes. Now we don't have the likes of Ferguson, Carsley, Stubbs, Kilbane, Bent etc to make that type of football work yet Moyes is still persisting with it.

It doesn't work, he needs to get them playing in a way that suits them.

Its chicken and egg mate, did he buy the worng players or buy what he could based on the resources available, its hard to know the truth, Although i didnt beleive it at the time something happened in the summer to make the club reavalueate there spending poilicy, wheather it was kirkby, the credit crunch, bad finacial managementm, a takeover falling through, who knows, but i think plan a turned to plan f and here we are in a right mess. Wheather its the boards fault or moyes we dont really know, wel scapegoat one this week and the other next week.

What i will say though and again this has left me scratching my head is that the players arent playing like a team, praticularly the midfeild, this has really surprised me! Of all the cirticisms of Moyes down the years the one thing you could rely on was a well coached team and cohesiveness playing as one unit balanced, sometimes even at the detrimint to better players in our squad. Thats really what has flabbergasted me this season our team is a collection of individuals, a rag shambles, not being able to play to the player closest to them never mind move the ball from defence to attack all over the pitch every component of the team looks imbalanced. First things first lets get back to basics and play like a team winnig dirty if that needs to be the case, but we are not doing the simple things/bread and butter things or earning the right to win games or show class. Thats the key factor.

Yes you have to look to the manager for that.

Last edited:

Both Pienaar and Arteta can do that. I'd also say Fellaini can do a job that Gareth Barry can do for Villa and England. Barry can get forward and also drop and stay back. He's not a physical player or an out and out ball winner, he gets the balls holds it and sees the easy pass.

And if we're talking about changing things up, what about Vaughan as a winger due to his pace? Anchiebe's been doing it so why not Vaughany.

Status
Not open for further replies.