Which Merseyside district produces most Everton players;

Status
Not open for further replies.
....no, I think he counts. We’ve got Peter Reid via Bolton and Paul Hodge via Plymouth.

Where on Merseyside was Ablett from?

i think we can add Paul Bracewell (Heswall) to Dixie as being from the Wirral.
Gary went to St Margarets in Aigburth......dont know where he lived

What about that bastion of rugby league placed in Merseyside, St Helens we gave Everton Geoff Nulty, does he count as a football player? The favourite player of Gordon Lee or as my Liverpool fan Dad used to call him George Henry Lee. Out of all the players mentioned as a Evertonian and man, Colin Harvey a diamond geezer.

Eggs, you left off Jimmy Harris from Birkenhead, he played after 1960 and he is an U23 English international, and I’m 95% sure Stuart Barlow is from Fazackerly

Jose Baxter - Bootle
Kevin Mcleod - I think is Aintree / Walton.

Don't know about the following. Not sure if they've been mentioned - if anyone knows anything of them.

Michael Branch
Phil Jevons
Eddie Youds
Ian Marshall

....I have Fazakerley in mind for Colin Harvey and Stuart Barlow. I think Tommy Wright is a Garston lad.

Not sure if Tony Grant and Aiden Maher can be added to the Norris Green list. Tom Davies around the corner from me in West Derby.

Live in the next road to where Harvey grew up. Think his mum and dad used to take players in when he was a coach here to avoid the bright lights of the city centre.

Went the same school as Stuart Barlow.

Rooney played most of his footie as a kid down these ways and a lot of his family are from here so I’m claiming that one for my Fazakerley paradise as well.

No one else comes to mind.

I always say the footballers and boxers come from the north end, with the creative types coming from the south.

Other than toxteth you don’t see many footballers from the south end.

What about that bastion of rugby league placed in Merseyside, St Helens we gave Everton Geoff Nulty, does he count as a football player? The favourite player of Gordon Lee or as my Liverpool fan Dad used to call him George Henry Lee. Out of all the players mentioned as a Evertonian and man, Colin Harvey a diamond geezer.

Nulty played for St.Helens Town ;) but he was born in Prescot
The only Everton player from St.Helens that I can think of was Eric Moore. . . . and that was back in the 50s
(had the Bull & Dog in the 70s)

How about Mike Newell. He went to SFX in Woolton. I think he might be from Aigburth. I am not 100% sure of that as I might be connecting him to Aigburth because of Aigburth Cricket Club as I believe he was a very good Cricketer.

....not many mentioned from that side of the river, although I gave a shout for Paul Bracewell from Heswall.

We must, of course, include Dave Hickson from Ellesmere Port.

john ebbrell was from eastham. I went to Wirral grammar with him and we both played for eastham blades before he got called up for the first intake at lilleshall. He was brilliant at every school sport. Football was banned at Wirral and I’ll never forget the headmaster announcing in assembly one Monday morning after reading out the results of every sports team an afterthought that John had got a place at lilleshall

john ebbrell was from eastham. I went to Wirral grammar with him and we both played for eastham blades before he got called up for the first intake at lilleshall. He was brilliant at every school sport. Football was banned at Wirral and I’ll never forget the headmaster announcing in assembly one Monday morning after reading out the results of every sports team an afterthought that John had got a place at lilleshall

...nice story, Evo. Yes, I captured him on the ‘Wirral’ intake and was only thinking myself that he was one of the first ‘elite’ footballers taken to Lilleshall by the FA. Quite controversial at the time because they were living away from home.

Those top players do tend to be good at all sports, somebody mentioned similar about Ronnie Goodlass at John Hamilton High School. I think it’s a mix of athletic genes and really good co-ordination that sets them apart.

How about Mike Newell. He went to SFX in Woolton. I think he might be from Aigburth. I am not 100% sure of that as I might be connecting him to Aigburth because of Aigburth Cricket Club as I believe he was a very good Cricketer.

...good shout. I need to update the summary. Yes, Mike Newell was a very good cricketer (I have it in mind he was a wicketkeeper). Lots of footballers from that side of the city played for Sefton or Liverpool CC, I remember a few of the Quarry Bank footy team played Liverpool League cricket.

Live in the next road to where Harvey grew up. Think his mum and dad used to take players in when he was a coach here to avoid the bright lights of the city centre.

Went the same school as Stuart Barlow.

Rooney played most of his footie as a kid down these ways and a lot of his family are from here so I’m claiming that one for my Fazakerley paradise as well.

No one else comes to mind.

...ah, I think we have to include Rooney in the L11 clan. He did play for East Villa at Long Lane, but the Villa was run from The Royal Oak on Muirhead Ave. Lived on Stonebridge Lane, he went to De La Salle where his Mum was the dinner lady. Colleen also from there.

There is providence on here linking Colin Harvey to Bootle, but I always thought of him as Fazakerley. Regardless, I think i could marry Fazakerley & Aintree with Bootle as they are next door.

Tony Grant is nearer. Apparently lived in SparrowHall. Played for The Wilko as a kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.