Which Merseyside district produces most Everton players;

Status
Not open for further replies.
...ffs, might have to draw a line at 1960.

i was thinking about John Willie Parker. In the late 70s I played for a team managed by Dave Hickson for a season. Very quiet, modest man.

He was quite shy, but equally a bit nuts when it came to playing. Regardless, he wasn’t talkative but he told me a few times that J W Parker was the best he played with. A genius. I looked him up and his goalscoring record is outstanding.

Dave said the two of them should’ve played for England but selection was by committee and they weren’t the right type. Dave is high-profile but JW Parker must’ve been some footballer.
Yes I like that line about drawing a line at 1960!! Brilliant.

regarding John Willie he was the opposite to Davie Hickson on the pitch, as you say Davie was a bit wild, or very wild while John Willie was cool, calm and collective, not fast but had a good football brain, good with his head both scoring and laying it off for others. He came from a well known family of footballing brothers who played in the Birkenhead leagues.
...gentleman Joe Mercer. Him (5 England caps), Sam Chedgzoy (8 England caps) and Dave Hickson from Ellesmere Port is something from such a small town. Certainly deserves a mention in dispatches even if I do restrict the overall findings to post 1960.
Stan Cullis also came from there famous England centre half and manager of Wolves when they won the FA cup in 1949, Kevin Lewis was another, he was Liverpool’s highest transfer fee before they bought St. John.

one of my school mates who was a mad evertonian was Jim my Husband s paperboy when Jim my lived in Woolton village and he said Jim my was the nicest fella he had ever met.

...thanks for confirming but it has been mentioned. I (wrongly) threw the Garston spanner in the works, I think he went on to work at Garston Docks and his local was near Liverpool Cricket Club in the Southend,
I lived in the area at the time of winning the league in 69/70. At that time it was rumoured that Tommy lived in the first house, next to what was then the Aigburth Hotel (the pub was knocked down for road widening), almost opposite Liverpool Cricket Club. I occasionally had a bevvy in the 'Aigy' but never saw Tommy at all. Albert Dunlop has been mentioned - Garston lad, possibly from 'under the bridge' as it's known (Banks Road area). He was pre & post 1960 and first EFC goalie I saw when I was a kid. John Gidman went to our junior school for a year (Duncombe Road which became Gilmour), he was a year younger but even at 9 or 10 was an excellent player. His next school was Springwood I think so he probably lived around Garston/Allerton. Last I heard about him he was living on the Costa del Sol.

Thanks. This has been the most interesting thread for a long time. You went back to Sammy Chedzoy in the 1920s to current youth players of 2020.
Over the years on our books we've had a murderer, theives, drugs dealers, charlatans and worse. But we've also had wonderful personalities and
characters and the two greatest English players ever produced from Croxteth and Birkenhead. There is only one Peoples Club.

Plenty of banter on here regarding North and South Liverpool, but I was just discussing with @Dario Terracotta Everton players from his neck of the woods (Southport, Formby etc) and it got me wondering which Merseyside district has produced most Everton players.

For starters, Norris Green/Croxteth gave us England internationals Joe Royle, Wayne Rooney and Franny Jeffers.
Derek Temple - Dovecot?
Andy Rankin - Bootle?
Jimmy Tansey
Johnny Morrissey - iirc, both went to St Sylvesters in Scottie.

....I have Fazakerley in mind for Colin Harvey and Stuart Barlow. I think Tommy Wright is a Garston lad.

Not sure if Tony Grant and Aiden Maher can be added to the Norris Green list. Tom Davies around the corner from me in West Derby.

Colin Harvey is from Bootle. I spoke to him in a pub in Town Green a few years back and when i mentioned I was from Bootle, he said he was as well, Alexandra Drive Off Orrell Lane. May have gone to school in Fazakerley like, it's not far.

For starters, Norris Green/Croxteth gave us England internationals Joe Royle, Wayne Rooney and Franny Jeffers.

Screenshot_20200322-030317_Chrome.jpg

:)

Colin Harvey is from Bootle. I spoke to him in a pub in Town Green a few years back and when i mentioned I was from Bootle, he said he was as well, Alexandra Drive Off Orrell Lane. May have gone to school in Fazakerley like, it's not far.

...ok Kev, I think that’s enough clarification for me.

I lived in the area at the time of winning the league in 69/70. At that time it was rumoured that Tommy lived in the first house, next to what was then the Aigburth Hotel (the pub was knocked down for road widening), almost opposite Liverpool Cricket Club. I occasionally had a bevvy in the 'Aigy' but never saw Tommy at all. Albert Dunlop has been mentioned - Garston lad, possibly from 'under the bridge' as it's known (Banks Road area). He was pre & post 1960 and first EFC goalie I saw when I was a kid. John Gidman went to our junior school for a year (Duncombe Road which became Gilmour), he was a year younger but even at 9 or 10 was an excellent player. His next school was Springwood I think so he probably lived around Garston/Allerton. Last I heard about him he was living on the Costa del Sol.

....I have a tenuous link with Albert Dunlop from the ‘60s. His Mum (Gertie) and my Mum were on the Committee at Everton Supporters Club in City Road. Gertie had a season ticket close to mine on the front row of Upper Gwladys St (seat A81). I think young Albert had a few problems in life, but he was one of ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.