Which Everton games have left you feeling at rock bottom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worst thing about the West Brom 4-0 loss was that wasn't it on the back of a 4-0 loss to some other no mark team (want to say Villa).

Bucharest was horrible. Not for the game itself but realising the season before had been for nothing. A whole season of being better than Liverpool and within a few weeks they were champions of Europe in the champions league group phase again and we had no Europe whatsoever. Almost packed it up then.

Newcastle when Arteta was injured was also horrible. Just because he was out for the final and I knew he'd never be the same player as the magician he was at that time. Felt sick about injuries then and still feel sick about them now.
Bolton at home maybe? Under Big Sam? Seem to remember Stellios grabbing the last in an almost empty Goodison...

Christ lads.

Why are you doing this to yourselves?

Wigan cup game - first match I've left early since the nineties.

Hull on new years day. Sat in the home end. Had to deal with a Hull STH Mrs, her STH Dad. Then had to visit her family for tea.

And to top it all off, I actually had to stay in Hull. Grim.

Interesting stat:

About 5 years ago when I was in uni and had far too much time on my hands, I had a night off going out and did some research for the uni paper into Everton's "lucky numbers" - basically the day of the month on which they had won most regularly since the Premier League began.

It has probably changed since, but the best days of the month for us were the 18th and the 23rd. I think the 1st and the 29th of every month was the worst for us.

Most of my list earlier in this thread comprises of matches played from the 15th onwards.

The Wigan cup game. All kinds of horrible. I can cope (just) with us getting beat if we're at least making an effort, but apologies for performances such as this are always the worst for me. Vile.

Quite a few but that gerard hat trick derby still makes me feel sick, ive never seen such a pathetic attempt from our team, moyes sent us out already lubed up and ready for a bumming

Is that the one were he played the weakened team before the q/f?? I haven't read the whole thread so I'm not sure.

I can barely remember a thing about the game but it's the worst I've ever felt I reckon. Worst than the semi loss a few weeks later, worst then trouncing at home to Tranmere and Wigan, worst than relegation battles losses at home to Sheff Wed or hammering's off Wimbledon.

I done that long stand for an hour on the terrace in Bucharest after that loss but nothing felt worst than that Moyes induced defeat, that capitulation was the worst...that undid every bit of good work Moyes did imo, I could never forgive him for that.

Wigan last year, Villarreal, getting smashed all the time by the RS, those 4-0 defeats against Villa and Bolton back in the day, being humbled twice at home by Palace ...

Wigan in the FA Cup. Southampton this year. Only two times in my life I've left early. Couldn't watch anymore.

Wigan in the cup two years ago, about ten of us went downstairs to the bar after the third, some of the lads had there young kids with them and they stayed in there seats all distraught, they really all thought it was gonna be our year to win something.
Had about 4-5 pints each, ended up diving under the shutter so we could get another beer as they went to close. After about 15 minutes of the 2nd half we [Poor language removed] off to the Chepstow and got smashed, have never left like that before or since but that day felt like the [Poor language removed] was kicked out of me, kopites in work ran riot all week and I couldn't even muster a reply. Think we played City in the next game and half the lads just didn't bother going, they couldn't even give there tickets away for free, but what a game, agony to ecstasy in a week....

From recent memory.
  1. Everton 0 - 2 Southampton, November 1997
    Everton 0-2 Spurs, November 1997 also. Those two, as a young lad, them two games against fellow strugglers were huge, and we lost, badly, in both, disasterous.
  2. Everton 0-4 Bolton December, 2005. Just appauling, time for another great escape, as I left the ground, only to be told it wasn't 2-0, but 4!
  3. Everton 1-4 Arsenal August, 2004. Again, thought it was going to be a long, hard season, how wrong was I?
  4. Dinamo Bucharest 5-1 Everton September 2005. The hurt from the CL hadn't gone, and the token gesture of a Uefa Cup run had some brief consolation, then we went out and performed like that, humiliated on the world scene.
  5. Liverpool 3-0 Everton. March 2012. Cowardly by Moyes, it was my final straw for him personally.

3-0 loss to Wigan.

Losing to Bolton 2-1 at home when Howard scored, depressing.

3-0 against Liverpool, I was furious during and just devastated for days after.

Status
Not open for further replies.