Where's the root of Everton's problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What causes Everton FC to continuously let themselves and the fans down?
For the past 5 years a lot of money more than ever before has been pumped into this club but we cant seem to get to the next level.

Why is this?

Is the mentality within the club from the top?
Is it Moshiri
Is the DOF (Brands & Walsh)?
Is it the managers?
Is it the players?
Is it the wrong type of players for certain managers styles when they arrive?
Is all of the above combined?

I mean all jokes aside we've had 4 managers and 2 DoF within 5 years that cant be good but how do we fix it?

...and no Ye Ma isn't an option.
No Fight
No Discipline
Lack of Fitness

Reactions: JLW
I think handing out 4/5 year contracts need to be stopped, give them 2 max 3 years and then

Im sure weve been trying to do that since Moshiri took over.
In ideal world that would be great but 2 or 3 year contracts won't work if you're competing against other clubs for a player, Which for good ones you would be.

For the past 5 years a lot of money more than ever before has been pumped into this club but we cant seem to get to the next level.

Why is this?

Is it Moshiri
Is it the managers?
Is it the players?

I mean all jokes aside we've had 4 managers and 2 DoF within 5 years that cant be good but how do we fix it?

The root of Evertons problems is all in this quote...

“ They’re not a team
they are a series of miss calculated purchases by five managers over seven years that can’t play football”

There's no direction from above.

Five years into the big takeover, and Kenwright is still the chairman, the new CEO has no relevant experience, the director of football has been retained after failing to assemble anything close to a balanced squad, and the academy continues to be littered with crony appointments.

There are no consequences for failure, despite the enormous amount of money that's been wasted since 2016. The only time someone cops for it is when fan unrest boils over to the point where it's causing the club embarrassment on television.

Luckily, Moshiri has continued to throw enough cash at the project to keep it stumbling along, but it would all turn very Randy Lerner very quickly if this changed.

It starts with Moshiri who has no idea what he's doing and has yet to make the right appointment to any position. He's also failed to clearly define the structure of the footballing side of the club. Is Brands actually at the top? Some of our dealings and appointments say no. No amount of money fixes this dysfunction so it won't be getting fixed.

Remember when everyone was talking about Coutinho, Salah, Firmino and Mane and Mosh said ‘we have our own fab 4 - Gylfi, Rooney, Tosun and Bolasie’.

My God that man has wasted his money.
Still better than Bernard, Delph and Iwobi.

Why is this?

Is it Moshiri
Is it the managers?
Is it the players?

It could be an issue with club culture. That sort of thing is pervasive and you can't overturn it. But I don't think culture is the major issue. I know many will knock the "family" and "charity" aspects of the club, and these are real qualities of the culture of the football club that can't be ignored, but they don't necessarily indicate the club is soft. Certainly Kenwright has seemed this way in the past and nobody liked Elstone, but if you look at Moshiri, DBB, Brands, Ancelotti, these four don't give off the soft image. Moshiri has spent on the club and is bringing in a waterfront stadium (not to mention he bought the Liver Building for club headquarters... that's not a soft move), DBB stays in the shadows but her words on the Super Duper League shows she knows when to bring it, and it's simple enough to say that neither Brands nor Ancelotti give an air of soft or second rate about them.

So if it's not club culture, we have to jump straight to the players, with a mention to Walsh. Walsh did severe damage to the club. Martinez made decent signings on the whole and Silva's downfall was similarly tactical/predictable, but neither Allardyce nor Koeman picked good players to bring in and the Walsh-Koeman catfight was horrendous. That was a mistake by Moshiri in selecting the right people for the job (unless those were Kenwright mistakes). But since then Moshiri has shown enough Paul Anka about him to answer my questions. So unless you believe Moshiri is the bumbling fool who hires bad people (which Brands and Ancelotti seem to discredit), and if you've agreed that Walsh made huge mistakes that set the club back as much as 5-8 years, then it's the players.

There aren't enough players who've got enough bottle to get the job done. On the whole this squad is built with players who've got no bottle (Sigurdsson, Delph, Gomes), or depend upon confidence (Richarlison, Keane), or simply lack the skill or have aged past it (Coleman, Iwobi, Bernard, apparently Holgate). Add to that the injury and mistake prone (Mina, maybe Holgate fits here as well) and you're left with mercurial players (James and to a lesser extent Davies) and new players (Allan, Doucoure, James too), and you only have a few players with any will to take the game into their own hands. At the moment that may only be Digne (who has been absent at times), Doucoure (who is new and sometimes injured and let's see if his energy translates into dominance), Godfrey (who is new and out of position), and Pickford (who moves from blinder to blunder in the blink of a vowel.)

Did I miss anyone? Outside of a few players I have grown to hate (I won't mention again) and a few who don't have the requisite skills to perform for Everton (I'm looking at you Iwobi and Bernard), you have a band of misfits fit for an Aardman movie but not for anything above Premier League mid-table.

Granted, many of these players can stay and fit into a good squad, but we need 3 quality additions, specifically players with the physical and mental/emotional tools requisite to carry the team on their backs, to go along with those few players in the squad now who have any measure of the requisite character before we will see anything representing good football out of these.

Last night we couldnt break down the team bottom of the pile and near relegated at christmas, Carlo turns to the bench and brings on the snail, little jimmy krankie and a guy out of a l'oreal advert.
Not one striker available, and tbh even if King was fit he wouldnt have got more than 7/8mins.
Having 2 sub goalkeepers repeatedly throughout the season embarrasses our club, so the only reason could be Carlo proving a point.
We havent had any worse a season injury wise than most of the other teams and yet we constantly hear "if we wouldve have our new signings fit all season" excuse threw out week after week.
They were all there last night and there was zero cohesion or plan throughout the 90mins.
Transfer strategy has to be hungry players wanting to win, not rejected/failure players stepping down and thinking they are better than us while taking massive salaries.

Koeman taking an age to agree to manage us, accepted
Koeman and his disrespect of the club, accepted
Koeman telling our best player, Lakaku, to go elsewhere if he wants to win, accepted

The new owner set the tone for me, in the most recent times anyway. He even talked about an expected loss.

I‘m not having a go at him and I’m glad he’s here, I’m just hoping he learns by his mistakes and learns not to accept 2nd best.
The rot needs to stop and I’m glad this poor form has happened so close to the end of the season.

Is Carlo to big for Everton? Nationwide discussion 6pm prompt today TALKSPORT. Some on here with rose tinted glasses may need to listen.

The root of our problems now go all the way back to the start of the premier league, money came flooding into football, but we somehow ended up always short of cash. When Kenwright came in to rescue us from the Johnson era, he was happy to settle for Walter Smith keeping us in the premier league, until the fans showed their frustration at getting turned over in Middlesboro in the cup.

The first few years under Moyes were up and down but when he got us up in the top six he wasn't backed financially to bring in the players that could of had us in the top four. Kenwright couldn't tell enough people that we couldn't compete with the rich clubs and that we needed a billionaire to come in to make up able to do so.

We got a billionaire, and made some very bad transfer decisions and we are left now in a very bad situation. Leicester have overtaken us, Leeds are back in the premier league and have high ambitions, West Ham took advantage of the usual top teams being out of form early in the season and look good to be in Europe next year. It will be very important to start next season well or we'll be fighting against relegation, and this group of players have shown they have no stomach to fight for 3 points when it is really needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.