When did we possess our "deepest" squad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for constant improvement mate but have to disagree with you there. How can you say we don't have quality or quantity when we have our biggest squad ever and there are players such as Coleman, Stones, Baines, McCarthy, Barkley, Mirallas, Lukaku and Eto'o within it?

short version one;8 men are not a squad, they're not even a team... unless you play 8 a-side goalie in or out.
short version two; Unless we get more cash players will 'fall off the roster' just as fast as we are signing new ones on

Even with the extra TV money which is big money to us, we are only going to be able to increase the Quality by 1 or 2 or 3 players per season...that's if all the players brought in each season shape up (Robles, Besic etc) / don't get injured /sold and then there is the time thing in 3 or 4 yrs how many players aged 28+ will still be regular starters, they could and probably will turn in to Osmans or Pienaars, bit part at best.

I remember Yobo being the '1st piece in the Moyes rebuild' fast forward 6 yrs and he's a liability

To grow from here, we need tangible success...Europa victory or top 4 PL will do it. Europa entry next year at minimum. Everton needs to grow its revenue to sustain forward momentum.
This is a VERY important season for us...a 'next ten year' defining one I feel

This is right.if you go back to our 85 team ian atkins was about 3rd or 4th choice to sit on the bench. He mudt have only played for us about twice tho

We all know the 1 thru' 11 of the title winning team of '85.

Add to that Heath (injured for half the season), Richardson, Harper, Wakenshaw and I am really struggling to think of any other players we used that season.

We must have used Atkins though because I am sure Derek Mountfield was out injured for a spell.

And was John Bailey still here or was he transferred when Paddy came in from Millwall?

Just one sub on the bench in those days, remember.

short version one;(1)8 men are not a squad, they're not even a team... unless you play 8 a-side goalie in or out.
short version two; (2)Unless we get more cash players will 'fall off the roster' just as fast as we are signing new ones on

Even with the extra TV money which is big money to us, (3)we are only going to be able to increase the Quality by 1 or 2 or 3 players per season...that's if all the players brought in each season shape up (Robles, Besic etc) / don't get injured /sold and then there is the time thing (4)in 3 or 4 yrs how many players aged 28+ will still be regular starters, they could and probably will turn in to Osmans or Pienaars, bit part at best.

(5)I remember Yobo being the '1st piece in the Moyes rebuild' fast forward 6 yrs and he's a liability
  1. At no point did I say them 8 players constituted a squad, I just picked them out as excellent players within the deepest, best quality squad I've ever known.
  2. For me, the squad size is fine so if from now on we only sign to replace then why is that an issue?
  3. You wouldn't be happy with 3 quality players a season?
  4. If we replace the older players each season (which is likely) then this isn't even a problem.
  5. I have no idea what this has to do with anything!?

Having a large squad does not mean it is a good squad. Ask the Mancs.
For us, this is possibly a good balance of the largest and up there with the strongest we have had in a long time. In 2004, didn't we go the season using the fewest players, 16? Injuries are crucial. In the 80's, we had the best team and by default:squad. 14 was usually more than enough! Fringe players like Harper,Richardson, Heath were gold dust. Would have been regulars else where.

1. At no point did I say them 8 players constituted a squad, I just picked them out as excellent players within the deepest, best quality squad I've ever known.
  2. For me, the squad size is fine so if from now on we only sign to replace then why is that an issue?
  3. You wouldn't be happy with 3 quality players a season?
  4. If we replace the older players each season (which is likely) then this isn't even a problem.
  5. I have no idea what this has to do with anything!?

go on a site with all our squad numbers and players ages, take out all aged 28 or over,
all the kids no matter how good they potentially be like Garbutt.
all those left how ever old they are that you think will never be true first team and tell me who and how many are left

go on a site with all our squad numbers and players ages, take out all aged 28 or over,
all the kids no matter how good they potentially be like Garbutt.
all those left how ever old they are that you think will never be true first team and tell me who and how many are left
Haha, so basically take half the squad away and then panic that the squad is small! lol

We all know the 1 thru' 11 of the title winning team of '85.

Add to that Heath (injured for half the season), Richardson, Harper, Wakenshaw and I am really struggling to think of any other players we used that season.

We must have used Atkins though because I am sure Derek Mountfield was out injured for a spell.

And was John Bailey still here or was he transferred when Paddy came in from Millwall?

Just one sub on the bench in those days, remember.
Bailey started the season.we signed psycho after about 10 games I think.paul wilkinson is the only other player I can think of who got a game that year.he scored the winner in the goodison derby

Bailey started the season.we signed psycho after about 10 games I think.paul wilkinson is the only other player I can think of who got a game that year.he scored the winner in the goodison derby
We actually used 25 players in the 84/85 season, but only 15 got 10+ games in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.