When did we possess our "deepest" squad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durham Toffee

Shameless Wool
Genuine question.

You all know I've been a fan for a matter of months. I'd be inclined to suggest that this is ONE of our deepest squads in the last decade or so, but anything else after that is alien to me and even then I'm guessing based on a few years of vague interest until this became a full tilt obsession.

When did we possess our deepest squad? When was talent so prevalent in our squad that we good select from a huge pool of players and still be confident of a good performance?

Is it now?

Was it the great teams of the eighties?

Was it further back than that?

State your squads and elaborate as to why...

This is probably the deepest squad I have seen.

Teams of the 80s didn't really use a squad. We had the first choice 11 then a couple of players like Kevin Richardson and Alan Harper who could play anywhere and filled in for injuries. Football in the 80s was a lot less complicated!! And you could regularly meet the players getting drunk in the city pubs and clubs and have a beer with them. Happy days.

Squad depth is pretty much a modern thing. In the good old days you had your first 11 and then two or three who where capable of stepping up from the 'reserves' if absolutely necessary.

there were rumours, quite a few years ago now, that we would possibly be signing one Joseph Barton

now it didnt happen (thank fk), but having seemingly remodelled himself as the thinking man's footballer, although he's not on a level with jean paul sartre, he may have led our squad to at least ask some questions of it's own existence, the link between matter and consciousness, are we really individuals ??

and maybe, just maybe come up with some very thought provoking answers

This is probably the deepest squad I have seen.

Teams of the 80s didn't really use a squad. We had the first choice 11 then a couple of players like Kevin Richardson and Alan Harper who could play anywhere and filled in for injuries. Football in the 80s was a lot less complicated!! And you could regularly meet the players getting drunk in the city pubs and clubs and have a beer with them. Happy days.
This is right.if you go back to our 85 team ian atkins was about 3rd or 4th choice to sit on the bench. He mudt have only played for us about twice tho

Thank you @Pat's Van for the epistemological contemplations your post inspire. And all around one Joey Barton... whodathunk?
Such verbage is beneath you good sir - please refrain from tainting my fabricated image of a latter day Shakespeare whilst perusing your posts

Kindest regards,

Boss Blue

Such verbage is beneath you good sir - please refrain from tainting my fabricated image of a latter day Shakespeare whilst perusing your posts

Kindest regards,

Boss Blue
The affront to your sensibilities is noted my friend. My juxtaposing proper speak with colloquialism shall not occur again.

Status
Not open for further replies.