What's your verdict on Marcel Brands?

What's your verdict on Marcel Brands?

• Pleased

• Disappointed

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is mate, every DOF in world football will tell you they wont bring in a player without consultation with the manager, or head coach. Every DOF in world football "dont have the final say...." in any major decision - because there's always a boss, an owner - above him.

We appointed one of the best managers in world football in Carlo Ancelotti, but it was Marcel Brands who had the say on transfers. We spent the money on players Ancelotti admitted he hadn't heard of - Godfrey, and players we tried to sign long before Ancelotti was here - Doucoure.

You don't seem to acknowledge that when you're talking up Rodriguez proving it was Ancelotti who had the say.

Sure, Allan and Rodriguez were clearly only possible because of Ancelotti but so what? If Brands felt they ticked enough boxes, then that's up to him.

When appointing a manager, their contacts/influence in the game to bring in players will be an important consideration.
I have to disagree about Ancelotti being one of the best managers in world football. Yes he's good at managing clubs when they have the best players in the league and he's good at making those players feel happy and letting them get on with it.

But managing a team like Everton he was pretty average/poor because he actually had to do what is a harder job and actually.... manage. His 10th place finish proved it was a job beyond him.

So really you could say he's one of the best managers if your expected to do well and he normally would do that. But if your actually in a position where other clubs are similar level to your clubs ability he will get found out. That for me is not someone I would go around calling one of the best. But maybe that's just me

How many years to sign a right-back? And he is struggled to shift players and fails to get decent fees in most cases. Stop the forever loan deals, make these clubs paid if they want our players ffs.

I have to disagree about Ancelotti being one of the best managers in world football. Yes he's good at managing clubs when they have the best players in the league and he's good at making those players feel happy and letting them get on with it.

But managing a team like Everton he was pretty average/poor because he actually had to do what is a harder job and actually.... manage. His 10th place finish proved it was a job beyond him.

So really you could say he's one of the best managers if your expected to do well and he normally would do that. But if your actually in a position where other clubs are similar level to your clubs ability he will get found out. That for me is not someone I would go around calling one of the best. But maybe that's just me

I know you was never impressed with Carlo Ancelotti.

I know you even prefer/rate David Moyes over Carlo Ancelotti.

Fair enough.

The point was, and remains given this is a thread about Marcel Brands - is we appointed Carlo Ancelotti - one of the most successful managers in world football, having won 20 trophies including league titles in four different countries and the Champions League three times. We appointed a man of his stature, and it was Marcel Brands who still had the main shout when it come to transfer fees with inbound transfers.

Fair enough.

The point was, and remains given this is a thread about Marcel Brands - is we appointed Carlo Ancelotti - one of the most successful managers in world football, having won 20 trophies including league titles in four different countries and the Champions League three times. We appointed a man of his stature, and it was Marcel Brands who still had the main shout when it come to transfer fees with inbound transfers.

I perhaps took that quote in the wrong context and you make a fair point.

Regarding Brands, I think it would do him the world of good to come out and give us all an explanation as to where he feels things went right or wrong in this window and even previous ones. As the results of the poll here are very contradictory to him and he may have a good reason to justify things. As it is, it doesn't look great for him.

I perhaps took that quote in the wrong context and you make a fair point.

Regarding Brands, I think it would do him the world of good to come out and give us all an explanation as to where he feels things went right or wrong in this window and even previous ones. As the results of the poll here are very contradictory to him and he may have a good reason to justify things. As it is, it doesn't look great for him.
Whilst I realise that he is not held in high regard by some on this forum, I thing this article by Esk has merit in discussing the bigger picture. In particular the fact thatculpability for the mess we are in, extends beyond Brands

he is partly along with Walsh to blame for the mess we are in. Both not strong willed enough in their role to over ride managers signing their own players and not having a coherent plan to move the club forward.

They were/are DoFs, they are above the manager in the pecking order but if you don't act with that authority then no point at all, just paying a bloke millions for everything except strengthen the first team.

Hes not as good as I'd like and he has swing and missed but I'd sat only 2/3 bad signings/unmitigated disasters. Iwobi I still have hope for a redemption arc. Gomes was bad from day 1 and its revisionist nonsense to blame the ankle break. Delph was and is a disaster, too much money on a player everyone in the world knew was made from broken biscuits.

That aside his main issue was contracts, 5 years for Michael Keane??? 2 year extension for Broadhead???
When Gomes came in initially on a loan, fans were desperate to get him signed. Many were saying better than Tielemans, it is entirely revisionist to say he was rubbish from day one.

when Keane was given a contract extension he was our best defender.

broadhead extension was probably intended to protect a sale fee.

the fact is that not one person on here actually knows what goes on behind the scenes, so they apply their own logic, flawed or otherwise to fit their own viewpoint. Easy to say that 90% don’t think he does a good job, the only vote that actually matters belongs to Moshiri.

Fair enough.

Who should have the main shout on transfer fees?

Ancelotti didn’t want it.

Apologies if already posted. Spreadsheet showing transfers in and out since Moshiri. I'm not defending Brands as I confess to know very little about him or indeed, the role of a DoF. I can however read and add up. The combination of Koeman Allardyce and Walsh has left a stain on us that no amount of Persil will clean for years to come. Factor in Tosun and Sigurdsson and it appears that over £115 million has been lost due to these three. Brands gets a lot of their blame.
View attachment 137775
Spot on mate. Out of the many, many signings under Walsh, only Pickford, Gana and DCL could be considered big successes. Arguably Michael Keane. That’s absolutely criminal given the money spent and the losses incurred.

Now Brands isn’t perfect, as his failure to buy a right back shows (though clearly we wanted Dumfries, Patterson and AMN at least). But he’s not out there buying four #10s with absolutely no plan, and he’s not spunking hundreds of millions on crap prem players (Delph and arguably Iwobi aside). I’m not convinced by him but to say he’s as bad as Walsh is absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.