What's Our Best Worst Result Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about the 3-0 defeat away to Wolves during Christmas 1983.
They hadn't won at home all season and cries of 'Andy Andy what's the score' filled the stadium.
Was that the final kick up the arse we needed as we hardly lost a game after that for the rest of the season and went on to win the cup.
And then the glory years really started!
COYB!!!
Yes,think we went to Brum next and got a vital 2-0 win,people often say the Stoke cup game kick-started our season but if we had lost that Birmingham game even though Howie had the vote of confidence,he may well have had the sack.

Losing 2-0 at home to a shambolic Newcastle.

We went on to beat a quality attacking Leeds side in the next game, took points off Man Utd at Old Trafford before dispatching Spurs in a cup tie before going unbeaten in 15 games in a row in the league. We then won the title in a champions decider victory against Man City in the last game of the season to win the title by 1pt

....best has to be Wimbledon/Coventry results that kept us in the top flight. Without those, who knows where we’d be these days.

Worst - I think I’d have to say Panathinaikos in the European Cup. It was followed a few days later by an FA Cup semi-final loss to the Reds and the break up of arguably our greatest ever team.
Great choices - all very pivotal moments in our history

My choice for best worst result probably goes to when Silva (Martinez MKII) led us to a 5-2 defeat at Liverpool in 2019.
It resulted in his sack and Big Dunc taking over and eventually (and still amazingly in my opinion) Ancelotti.
We've had our bumps in the road since then but we have never had such a high profile manager at our club before and possibly never will again.
The man is a legend and as long as we don't scare him off I honestly believe he is the man who can bring us trophies again.

Back in 1958, Jimmy Harris had the misfortune to score a hat trick for Everton at Spurs, only for his team to be on the wrong end of a10:4 hammering. I was at school in those days and one of the popular tv shows was an American cop show ‘Highway Patrol’. Every time one of the cops got a message from control on his car radio he responded with “ ten four”. You can only imagine the next 6 months in the school playground with all the redskin kids shouting ten four at us.
I watched the result on TV and was in shock but I do remember Highway patrol and the stick we got .My closest mates at that time were both reds and it was non stop as you say for ages and even in later years

I remember the Bayern Munich game what a game that was and the 95 cup final was great too.

winning the championship will also stay with me too hammering the scum 3-0 at Goodison was good.

Worst ? There have been too many unfortunately but getting beat 1-0 by the scums youth side was the most frustrating and most angry I have ever been and I weren’t even there.

That’s probably the most embarrassing performance I can think of

My favourite game was 2-0 away win at Anfield stood on the Kop in blue & white in 1970.... so memorable .....looking across at a sea of Blue & White in Anfield Road end singing Champions non-stop ........

Status
Not open for further replies.