What's Changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lack of pace is a huge worry, and a lack of skill. How many times do you see any of our midfielders give the opposition the shimmy and nick past them? Very rarely, that's how you make space, not by quick predictable passes along 2 banks of 4. Having 2 pacey wingers is crucial to this, it's no coincidence we've struggled since we've had an attacking mid playing out wide

McGeady, Mirallas, Barkley, Coleman, Besic, Etoo and Lukaku all possess pace. And the first 4 in particular like to take players on.

Really? Mirallas, Barkley and Coleman don't run at people?
Recently, no. Never see coleman burst past the full back anymore. And generally speaking you don't really see mirallas going past people like the top teams wingers do. Don't get me wrong they have the ability but confidence seems low.

Because nobody else breaks with them. Watch Coleman, he'll break a bit then pick his head up to find someone to give it to. Watch his hands, I feel like he's literally saying 'wtf, where are you all?'
I think it's the balance of the team for Coleman, never has anyone with him on that right side. Ever.

We just don't have the killer instinct. It's a quality this club has lacked for years, actually, probably since the title-winning years in the 80s. This season alone, we've already dropped 12 points from winning positions in games, but have only gained two from losing positions.

Last season, when we lost the ball we pressed all over the pitch to get it back. This season we tend to stand off more often. The only game I've seen us play to last seasons standard is the first 60 minutes against Arsenal, then we ran out of steam. The whole squad needs to collectively pull its finger out of their backside and start playing as a team again.

This for me, and lack of confidence which we cannot regain fully because certain players keep opening the door to our goal and ushering the opposition in politely.

We need to upgrade, but he was always going to bit-by-bit refresh and change the squad until it is how he wants it. I wouldn´t want wholesale sales and purchases like some little panic merchants are asking for. That is the model of an unstable club. We are a relatively stable club with a manager that will be here for quite a while, poor results whether in a short spell or for a whole season shouldn´t at this stage put him at any risk.

THIS THIS THIS

Last season was built upon a mean, stubborn defence. As confidence grew in the back 6 (including Barry) we took more risks offensively and played with a bit of a swagger.

How can the players possibly play with confidence when we are gifting goals the way we are. Distin for me was toatlly at fault for Spurs first goal at the weekend and last night it was just too easy to get around him again.

We need clean sheets, which we've had, but clean sheets based on good defensive displays. Without the performance to match the clean sheet we are always one mistake from a confidence crisis again - being shown right now with how shaky we are after what happened at Spurs.

Oh and we need pace. Play Atsu for christ sake Martinez.

Experienced players are making the mistakes, and especially Distin and Howard can't give any confidence to the rest of the team. Distin diving in like an inexperienced teenager for their goal last night, howard pushing the ball out on sunday, barry giving the ball away sunday, osman vs Palace etc. And these last two games are when we aren't playing shambolically like swansea in the cup, arsenal second half, palace, chelsea etc. The answer lies at the back...

Status
Not open for further replies.