What's Changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CahillsCornerFlag

Player Valuation: £70m
After letting another lead slip and witnessing what was, to put it kindly, an insipid second half performance, Evertonians were again left rightly frustrated. Stepping back and distancing myself from the usual go-to fume phrases, I've been trying to look objectively at why it just isn't quite working this year. Certain mistake patterns are emerging, and you could probably make a word document of the 5 biggest gripes with our performances of late, and just copy and paste them to describe whatever our latest match happens to be. So what's changed since last year?

Victims of our own success

Ourselves, and to a lesser extent Spurs and Liverpool, are in Premier League no mans land at the minute. We're better than the likes of Newcastle, Southampton (just watch them slide) and Swansea, but we're not quite as good as the big spending teams above us.

This has led to teams parking the bus, or more accurately placing two banks of four against us (see any home game this year and most aways too) and saying come on, play through us then lads. Last year, teams were more inclined to have a go at us, thus leaving more space for the likes of Lukaku, Mirallas and Barkley to exploit. Playing through two banks of four, regardless of who is included in those two banks of four, is a very difficult task, and one which only the top players can really do on a regular basis. Do people honestly think Southampton/West Ham would be sat where there are in the league now if teams had been parking the bus against them? Not a chance. If they keep it up till next year, you'll see the exact same thing happen to them. You need a Silva, or a Hazard, or a Mata to be able to beat the teams who set out to frustrate you, not the raw talents of a youngster like Barkley or the tired, much too slow legs of an Osman.

Tempo, passing, and players

If Martinez persists with the same formation, the same tempo, and the same possession based game, which history (and Wigan fans in particular) tells us he will, you simply need a better standard of midfielder. The game we currently play hinges almost totally on there being a door unlocker in the team - there isn't one. The tempo of passing needs to be much quicker, and the standard of player needs to be higher (more creative, intelligent, whatever) for the system to work. Languid, predictable passing gets you nowhere. A possession based game only works if the other team is frustrated by not having possession, who have we played this season who have looked frustrated by us having the ball? Nobody. Last year teams were afraid of what Deulofeu would do to them, we've lost some of the fear factor we had, and teams are starting to look very confident setting up against us.

You need a quick tempo and a sharpness of mind to make it work - it creates indecision in the opposition defenders minds, to the point where they're making silly mistakes. Taking the Barcelona of a few seasons back as the example, the defender knows that if he doesn't close down Messi/Xavi/Iniesta then
he'll either pick out a quality pass, or simply skip round him. There's no danger of any of Everton's midfielders doing this on a regular basis, and the opposition knows it.

The less technically gifted of our blue contingent keep making mistake after mistake this year, and of course when you have 70% possession in a game which attackers and midfielders constantly closing you down, they're absolutely bound to make mistakes. These players need to see the ball less, not more. They need to quickly turn play over to the players who are technically gifted. How often have you seen us tap it about 20 times only for it end up at Distin's feet? Punt.

Roberto

He's persisting with his beliefs on how football matches should be won to the point of arrogance, he's set his teams out the same way his whole managerial career, but what he seems to be missing is that you need a certain calibre of player to play it. He needs to be ruthless in the transfer market. He needs to tell the likes of Howard, Distin, Hibbert, Osman, McGeady, Kone and Alcaraz that their days are numbered, they simply aren't good enough to play the style of footy he insists on playing. It's worrying then that he's showing absolutely no signs of getting rid of any of them, quite the opposite infact, with many of them getting new deals.

Whatsmore, there's no plan B. Sometimes you need to get ugly to get points in the premier league, everybody knows that. Which leads to another flaw of Martinez, his ignorance of set plays and their importance. A point earned by a last minute header from a corner in a game that is a total scrap is every bit as precious as a point earned from having 70% possession.

Now Roberto does do an awful lot right, and his positivity is infectious. But occasionally you do need to call a spade a spade, and last nights second half performance was definitely a big, ugly spade that needed calling one.

Overall

It's obvious we don't have the money to go out and buy a couple of classy attackers like Silva etc, but there are cheaper options out there which are definitely within our range. Spurs bought Eriksen for £11m. Saints bought Tadic for roughly the same amount, and Sigurdsson for even less than that. There will be plenty more options out there in a similar range, and if Roberto insits on playing the way we're playing, he simply has to find one or two of them. If not, teams will continue to frustrate us and absolutely nothing will change - unless Roberto does.

Nothing much there to disagree or argue with... in fact, a very fair summary of our current situation, will refrain from saying plight.

I also think there are a few carrying or coming back from injury that does not help.

Alot of key players have been injured already this season, and that definitely affects the results.

Barkley only been back a month, Coleman and Mirallas have just come back, Baines and Barry carrying injuries, key players.

Our wing play with our fullbacks has been nowhere near what it should be the last few games.

I also think there are a few carrying or coming back from injury that does not help.

Alot of key players have been injured already this season, and that definitely affects the results.

Barkley only been back a month, Coleman and Mirallas have just come back, Baines and Barry carrying injuries, key players.

Our wing play with our fullbacks has been nowhere near what it should be the last few games.

This.

All rushed back and not looking anywhere near their best. Injury has ruined this season, I just hope that we fill the squad out a bit in jan.

A lack of pace is a huge worry, and a lack of skill. How many times do you see any of our midfielders give the opposition the shimmy and nick past them? Very rarely, that's how you make space, not by quick predictable passes along 2 banks of 4. Having 2 pacey wingers is crucial to this, it's no coincidence we've struggled since we've had an attacking mid playing out wide

Basic its our formation playing with one winger stops our fullbacks getting forward - spurs and Hull punished us for that in very similar ways - playing Wolfsberg away { a better team|}we had two wingers starting so why did RM decide to change the winning formula????

I agree with all of that. I think Pienaar being out/not fully fit makes a big difference. He's the only player we have in the silva, mata role. He's not as good as them but he's the best we've got.

This for me, and lack of confidence which we cannot regain fully because certain players keep opening the door to our goal and ushering the opposition in politely.

We need to upgrade, but he was always going to bit-by-bit refresh and change the squad until it is how he wants it. I wouldn´t want wholesale sales and purchases like some little panic merchants are asking for. That is the model of an unstable club. We are a relatively stable club with a manager that will be here for quite a while, poor results whether in a short spell or for a whole season shouldn´t at this stage put him at any risk.

Injuries absolutely play a part too. But I think it does run much deeper than that, and it's why I didn't touch on injuries in my original post.

I agree with all of that. I think Pienaar being out/not fully fit makes a big difference. He's the only player we have in the silva, mata role. He's not as good as them but he's the best we've got.

I was saying that all last season, but who knows if he will come back anywhere near the same level and he was already rapidly declining. One thing I disagree on Martinez with is the need for a Mata/Silva player. I wanted one since his first transfer window and wouldn´t agree we have enough options in the squad to make up for this lack. We all want a little nippy playmaker bouncing around the final third playing one-twos and hitting lovely through balls!

Garbutt should be in for baines he doesn't look fit to me in either spurs or hull games.

Howard needs to stop passing from goal kicks to distain or jags when clearly there's a player a few yards off them they panic and only hoof it anyway usually to the other team too. Howard should just boot it its clear the other team are on to what were trying to do.

The horrible gap in midfield we just don't have anyone in the middle of the park unless Naismith or jimmy mac are playing then this gets slightly covered up but we still don't have anyone in the middle wanting the ball or breaking up play ( altho besic last night did do at times looks promising ) Barry at present looks a passenger

Teams like chelsea spurs etc either press us high like our 18yard box into a mistake or teams like sunderland or swansea let us have the ball in their half then wait for a misplaced pass or mistake then counter us we don't do nothing tactic wise to other teams rather than try pass it round them

Coleman needs mirallas in front of him not Barkley or Osman they drift too central and speaking of the wings theres no balance especially the right Osman an Barkley cannot play their

Lukaku first touch an lack of headers doesn't help

Poor subs

Osman gettin 90 mins plus also it's 9 times out of ten him who loses the ball around the 18 yard box when there's a promising attack on only for us to be on the backlot defending

And is there a valid reason why in recent games mirallas can't go 90 mins and even wen hes replaced doesn't seem to any better impact anyway bar spurs we kept the ball more but they was probs tired anyway towards the end after all the running they did

The end

I'll tell you what isn't changing... our approach. Our crappy subs. Bobby's relentless positivity when it's clear we need harsh words and a kick up the arse.

I thought Moyes was bad for repeating the same mistakes over and over, but Roberto's clearly after his crown.

Lots of excuses being made, quite a bit of delusion going on as well, saying that it's 'obvious' that we are better than teams who are picking up more points and performing better than us.

Other clubs are allowed to defend, defending is a perfectly legitimate part of football. We however cannot defend, and we have been crap in attack for a couple of months now.

Here's a quote from the EFC match report: "It was difficult for the Blues for most of the evening and they found it tough to break down the disciplined defence of Steve Bruce’s side."

Of course it bloody well is!!! How the hell are you supposed to break down a defense, if all you do is play it backwards?? Then when it was passed back to Howard (which happened way to often) he bloody well lingers on it as if we have all the time in the world. Hull were quite happy to muscle us out of their have and watch us waste time passing it back n forth in our own half.

Its not just creativity we need. There were times last night Barkley/Besic were making runs and ended up going no where. And why? No back up. The players need to be told they have to up their work rate. They have to start making runs and creating space, looking to help out their team mate, giving them someone to pass it to.

They need to start doing the shoving in midfield and stop being bossed around out there.

Injuries absolutely play a part too. But I think it does run much deeper than that, and it's why I didn't touch on injuries in my original post.
Chelski have had 7 players play every game since the season started, it makes a big difference does that, we have been constantly swopping players in key roles in and out all season.

We've had one of the worse injury hit squad to the start of a season I can remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.