Whatever happened to Andy Johnson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
after he left us to go to Birmingham(?) I remember hearing he went to Wembley to watch us with his lad, a whole bunch of supporters were singing the whole AJ song, his son was completely made up, beaming ear to ear.

I was on holiday in Turkey when we beat them lot 3-0,, was in a bar and a woman asked me is the football on ,, i said yes,, why who do you support,, she said oh non of the teams but my son is playing....really i said who is your son.....Andy Johnson she replied...showed me a couple of pics etc,, safe to say she didnt buy a drink for the rest of the holiday....loved AJ,, was sad to see him go

after he left us to go to Birmingham(?) I remember hearing he went to Wembley to watch us with his lad, a whole bunch of supporters were singing the whole AJ song, his son was completely made up, beaming ear to ear.

Yep, the United Semi, me and my mate spotted him coming out of an underground carpark, my mate chatted to him walking up towards Wembley, as we got nearer he got spotted and swarmed, as you say, him and his little lad were made up, his lad had full Everton kit on as well.

Yep, the United Semi, me and my mate spotted him coming out of an underground carpark, my mate chatted to him walking up towards Wembley, as we got nearer he got spotted and swarmed, as you say, him and his little lad were made up, his lad had full Everton kit on as well.

Yeah I was sat next to him that day and we had a beer in the Wembley club lounge too. Terrific fella. His kids are evertonians.

Spot on. He would have scored more if Moyes had not had him running like the clappers towards the opposition corner flag in Moyes unreal way of providing our 'out ball'. AJ was excellent running directly onto goal...Moyes ruined him. Moyes thought AJ was Marcus Bent.
Nah he just wasn't that good. His career record tells you that.

Moyes used him perfectly imo, as a nuisance and an outlet. He was nowhere near a top level striker but he did a good job for us.

Spot on. He would have scored more if Moyes had not had him running like the clappers towards the opposition corner flag in Moyes unreal way of providing our 'out ball'. AJ was excellent running directly onto goal...Moyes ruined him. Moyes thought AJ was Marcus Bent.

Completely agree mate. In 10 years not one forward, apart from Yakubu for one season, prospered under moyes. This fella now wouldn't score goals under moyes

I was on holiday in Turkey when we beat them lot 3-0,, was in a bar and a woman asked me is the football on ,, i said yes,, why who do you support,, she said oh non of the teams but my son is playing....really i said who is your son.....Andy Johnson she replied...showed me a couple of pics etc,, safe to say she didnt buy a drink for the rest of the holiday....loved AJ,, was sad to see him go
Boss that. He scored twice and got MOTM

Was driving listening to Talksport yesterday, they had that Simon Jordan fella on, he was quite interesting with his stories and how the game works at the higher end.

Anyway, he was asked has he ever kept a player when they asked to leave, he mentioned AJ and said he wanted to leave but he promised him that if he stayed for a year he could pick any club and he would let him sign for them. So he said that AJ picked Everton, 2 other clubs offered vastly more money, they even offered to pay cash, but AJ wanted Everton, so he sold him to us for vastly cheaper, his words were something like "I even let Bill Kenwright pay me on the drip".

Made me laugh anyway, pure The old Ev.
Yeah......and he wonders why we went into administration under him the incompetent ego maniac.

What finished him was when every manager kept (unfairly) calling him a diver. Then he couldn't get a penalty if someone took a hacksaw to him in the penalty area. I remember one game (Blackburn I think) where he was hauled down about 3 times in the box and got nothing.
Wenger did that. Yet he had a team full of them

What finished him was when every manager kept (unfairly) calling him a diver. Then he couldn't get a penalty if someone took a hacksaw to him in the penalty area. I remember one game (Blackburn I think) where he was hauled down about 3 times in the box and got nothing.

The bloke got absolutely hounded in the press for supposed diving. After a while you could visibly see that he was doubting himself and soon he actually stopped making runs across defenders. It ruined him.

I really like the fella. Always gave as much as he could. Ran the channels all day long and hassled defenders. The pace he had used to push teams back a few yards because they were afraid of him getting in behind. It's been a while since we've had pace like his up top.

Still got a signed photo on my fireplace, when he scored the third goal. That and an Andy gray signed photo from Rotterdam take pride of place.

Status
Not open for further replies.