Whatever happened to Andy Johnson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was driving listening to Talksport yesterday, they had that Simon Jordan fella on, he was quite interesting with his stories and how the game works at the higher end.

Anyway, he was asked has he ever kept a player when they asked to leave, he mentioned AJ and said he wanted to leave but he promised him that if he stayed for a year he could pick any club and he would let him sign for them. So he said that AJ picked Everton, 2 other clubs offered vastly more money, they even offered to pay cash, but AJ wanted Everton, so he sold him to us for vastly cheaper, his words were something like "I even let Bill Kenwright pay me on the drip".

Made me laugh anyway, pure The old Ev.

He got lucky in his early games for us, deflected shots etc but to me he was Stuart Barlow MK 11, lots of pace but little composure

He got lucky in his early games for us, deflected shots etc but to me he was Stuart Barlow MK 11, lots of pace but little composure
Loved AJ but have to agree with that about composure. I believe if he would had a bit more of that we would have completed the turn around against fiorantina that night. Remember him going through a couple of times late on and trying to square it instead of just taking it on his own and finishing.

3-0 against Liverpool was nice. Not much more to be remembered by him. We made a nice profit of him for the time, good business.

David Moyes ruined him playing him out wide I thought

Spot on. He would have scored more if Moyes had not had him running like the clappers towards the opposition corner flag in Moyes unreal way of providing our 'out ball'. AJ was excellent running directly onto goal...Moyes ruined him. Moyes thought AJ was Marcus Bent.

What finished him was when every manager kept (unfairly) calling him a diver. Then he couldn't get a penalty if someone took a hacksaw to him in the penalty area. I remember one game (Blackburn I think) where he was hauled down about 3 times in the box and got nothing.
It was Wenger mainly.

Status
Not open for further replies.