What would it take to challenge for the title?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every title winning team (or challenging team) has one insatiable player. Liverpool 13/14 had Suarez who played every game like his life depended on it, he elevated a pile of absolute average players to nearly take the league. City had Kompany Silva and Aguero that season who when fit were just utterly relentless. United with Ronaldo Rooney Tevez etc. they just played full pelt every game whether that was punishing Hull away or turning up for the big game at home. Leicester had Kante, just looking like he'd die for the shirt every game.

Lukaku has probably greater gifts than any striker in the league, indeed he's the only striker I know who can get his goal return turning up for 1 in 3 games. Contrast that to the amount of effort Kane is putting in every game just to be on a par with Lukaku. Horrible to say it but if Lukaku had Suarez's mentality and turned up wanting to give everything to win every single game we could probably challenge for the title without any additions. Not saying we'd win it but we'd definitely be up there.

Everton for the best part of the last decade have been quite comfortable pounding teams at home in the second part of the season when they have nothing to play for. As soon as achievement of any note is in site, however, they completely malfunction. Moyes' 04/05 team was probably the last Everton team I've seen with any bottle whatsoever, they won a derby, spent the whole season being told they weren't going to get 4th, and then won big games on the run in to seal it. Every side since have been complete bottle artists and until that stops we won't challenge for anything. To help stop that you need that one world class player with the mentality to perform every week that everyone else follows. United under Fergie had 2 or 3 and built a dynasty on it, Leicester only had 1 but showed you can still win it. The closest I've seen in blue in recent times was Cahill who's mentality probably elevated his talent to a higher level than his natural gifts. In his prime he was absolutely fundamental dragging at times poor sides to the top 4,5,6 (how some mocked it back then but would kill for those league finishes now). We've not had nayone close to that since though. A succession of players with unbelievable talent Barkley, Deulofeu, Mirallas, Lukaku Stones just floating through games not taking responsibility to win them.

I'm glad Koeman seems to be demanding this level of consistency now. Barkley finally finally seems to have got it in his head that he needs to take responsibility in every game. Schneiderlin and Gueye can hopefully bring a level of standards that others will follow. Sadly for this season its taken half a season to get a handful of players to this level with the rest still just wildly inconsistent and mentally weak. Hopefully Koeman will either clear them out or beat it into them.

Robles, Barkley, Davies, Lukaku to continue improving at the same rate. Two top class CBs. A good backup striker. A top class second striker/wide forward type. Backup for Baines. Lookman's shots starting to go in. No major injuries. Some of the U23s stepping up well for squad depth.

The signings actually aren't the hard bit probably, assuming we get Europa.
Think we need to replace rather than back up baines. He's not the player he was.

It requires nothing more then what Leicester had last year.

serostim-hgh.jpg

Every title winning team (or challenging team) has one insatiable player. Liverpool 13/14 had Suarez who played every game like his life depended on it, he elevated a pile of absolute average players to nearly take the league. City had Kompany Silva and Aguero that season who when fit were just utterly relentless. United with Ronaldo Rooney Tevez etc. they just played full pelt every game whether that was punishing Hull away or turning up for the big game at home. Leicester had Kante, just looking like he'd die for the shirt every game.

Lukaku has probably greater gifts than any striker in the league, indeed he's the only striker I know who can get his goal return turning up for 1 in 3 games. Contrast that to the amount of effort Kane is putting in every game just to be on a par with Lukaku. Horrible to say it but if Lukaku had Suarez's mentality and turned up wanting to give everything to win every single game we could probably challenge for the title without any additions. Not saying we'd win it but we'd definitely be up there.

Everton for the best part of the last decade have been quite comfortable pounding teams at home in the second part of the season when they have nothing to play for. As soon as achievement of any note is in site, however, they completely malfunction. Moyes' 04/05 team was probably the last Everton team I've seen with any bottle whatsoever, they won a derby, spent the whole season being told they weren't going to get 4th, and then won big games on the run in to seal it. Every side since have been complete bottle artists and until that stops we won't challenge for anything. To help stop that you need that one world class player with the mentality to perform every week that everyone else follows. United under Fergie had 2 or 3 and built a dynasty on it, Leicester only had 1 but showed you can still win it. The closest I've seen in blue in recent times was Cahill who's mentality probably elevated his talent to a higher level than his natural gifts. In his prime he was absolutely fundamental dragging at times poor sides to the top 4,5,6 (how some mocked it back then but would kill for those league finishes now). We've not had nayone close to that since though. A succession of players with unbelievable talent Barkley, Deulofeu, Mirallas, Lukaku Stones just floating through games not taking responsibility to win them.

I'm glad Koeman seems to be demanding this level of consistency now. Barkley finally finally seems to have got it in his head that he needs to take responsibility in every game. Schneiderlin and Gueye can hopefully bring a level of standards that others will follow. Sadly for this season its taken half a season to get a handful of players to this level with the rest still just wildly inconsistent and mentally weak. Hopefully Koeman will either clear them out or beat it into them.
I totally agree re Tim Cahill his desire exceeded his natural ability which I believe motivated others. I reckon you're being a tad unreasonable expecting the influence of RK to have improved the teams mentality immediately, to have achieved an improvement after only 6 months whilst assessing the squad is pretty impressive.

It's a mental step to win the title, Some pretty ordinary sides have done it via belief and shrewd management.

I don't think it's as impossible as some would make out.

Certainly not impossible for us, it should be our expectation.

Will never happen again!! Every player playing to 100% of their ability and ngolo Kante

Of course it will, it's happened before, the remarkable thing about Leicester is it happened in a certain era of football that we were drip fed it being impossible, I believed it was, they proved it wasn't.

Leicesters win was history repeating itself, the key ingredients are collective belief and good management.

Of course it will, it's happened before, the remarkable thing about Leicester is it happened in a certain era of football that we were drip fed it being impossible, I believed it was, they proved it wasn't.

Its a game of opinion but name another league it has happened in???

Status
Not open for further replies.