GrandOldTeam TV What should Everton do about Jordan Pickford and is he a long term solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should do what we don’t with many of our younger players, get behind him.

He can make a match winning save and then make half a mistake, and it’s always the latter that gets talked about.

In the grand scheme of things there have been a much worse players and bigger mistakes which get forgotten.

He is actually comfortable with the ball at his feet compared to the other english keepers that southgate has to choose from and I suspect thats the main reason why he keeps getting chosen for england. Anyone on this thread or pickfords playing thread throwing the "hes the national team keeper" shout about rather than constructing and actual argument in his defence clearly go off status rather than actual performances when judging players. Pickford consistently produces heart in mouth moments for me when watching the game and makes the simplest saves look out of this world with his theatrical diving. A calming presence in goal is needed and he just isnt it, far to erratic for me and id happily take 25-30 mil for him.

He needs to calm down big time. Seems like he can't stand not being involved during games and gets over-excited when he is. I'm sat in line with the edge of the Park End box in the Main Stand and every time he clears the ball out with that side of the foot slice I'm convinced he's going to miss one and embarrass himself (it's guaranteed to happen one of these days). Kicking the ball as high, far and hard as you can is all well and good in primary school but if it doesn't lead to anything what's the point? Needs to chill and realise he's not half as good as he thinks he is yet.

He has to be benched just to make it clear that horrid performances aren't going to be tolerated. I think Dunc made that point with his Kean and Tosun subs and it had a good effect. Time to do it again.

Loose his England place and the penny might drop. He might be decent in his 30’s but atm he is so immature.

Been here 3 seasons. Twice we have been looking at relegation a couple of months into the season.

He doesn't inspire confidence in the defenders.

He really annoys me when I see him constantly giving it out to them and he just laughs off his own cock ups.

Honestly I don't think he's that much better than Joel was. Very average and he's not really shown an improvement in any area of his game that I've seen.

He's living off his England penalty record.

I don't know why it is but his individual mistakes stick out in my mind more than any other keeper we have had. He pulls off some good stops every now and then but you always feel he could do something silly at any moment.

He can make a match winning save and then make half a mistake, and it’s always the latter that gets talked about.

In the grand scheme of things there have been a much worse players and bigger mistakes which get forgotten.

I can hardly remember making a save that he shouldn't save never mind a match winning save

I wanted to believe he was great... But he's crap. Tim Howard was far better than him!

I remember Robles making saves out of the ordinary... Not this clown

That’s true to an extent, but isn’t it with all keepers? He just makes far too many mistakes. Can’t be confident in him not shitting himself like the other night

I go through the questions of:
(A) Could we get a better keeper if we sold him?
(B) At 25, are there years of growth left in the tank?
(C) He fills a English roster spot.

I don't think there is a better keeper out their that is realistic. Would I love a Ter Stegen, Oblak? Of course. Not a realistic shout. I do think he will mature in goal more as long as he plays. It would be nice to see him with a decent defense/midfield that relieves some of the pressure on him. Keep him unless an absolutely dumb bid comes in for him and we can bag 50m.
Behave. You're not allowed well thought out posts based on logic on this site in general, and on any topic involving Pickford in particular

Status
Not open for further replies.