GrandOldTeam TV What should Everton do about Jordan Pickford and is he a long term solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know he has his own performance thread, but some interesting points here (and comments beneath).

For me, he's not the pressing concern at all, priorities are elsewhere but I also think he wouldn't be a massive loss to the side and could be pretty easily replaced.

Needs replaced as a priority IMO.

I think he is one of the main reasons we appear weak and uncertain at the back at times....the players in front of him have little or no confidence in him.

His much vaunted “distribution“ of the ball is a total myth, with most of his long kicks out either finding touch or the opposition centre half’s head and in both circumstances the ball is coming back toward our goal.

Then there is the arrogance....the way he berated Seamus and Digne in the Arsenal game when these two players, whom alternate as team skipper BTW, took him to task over poor positioning which shoukd have seen us conceding a goal.

We should cash in and replace him in the summer.

We could get a better all round keeper for similar money to what we could sell him for.

He's regressed enormously since the World Cup. His problems are all of his own making due to poor attitude, arrogance and lack of concentration. Theres been no sign of him learning from mistakes. It's time to accept it and move him on.

....I’ve never been a fan but I’m a bit old fashioned when it comes to goalkeepers. I much prefer a bloke physically capable and with the ability to come and take crosses, as opposed to being capable of kicking it 50 yards with accuracy.

Sure, he’s a fine shot stopper but goalies should be fine shot stoppers, it’s their job.

What the future holds is down to what Brands/Ancelotti want in a keeper, but if his stock is reasonably high and there are enquiries I would certainly listen to offers.

Good shot stopper awful keeper

positional play and decision making is atrocious, you’d imagine that would come with experience but his mega self arrogance seems to be having an impact.

never been good enough IMO and was drastically overrated by the media during his time at Sunderland. His Hollywood saves masked his general poor awareness

I'd look to upgrade on him. But only after we sort out a new right back, a new left back if Digne rumours are true, a centre half, a right winger, a left winger and at least one centre mid depending on how Gomes and Gbamin come back.

He might not be perfect but replacing him is nowhere near a priority for me.

What are the “Digne rumours“?

Who's our goalkeeping coach ?

We've had some great keepers in the past, why aren't we having someone like Big Nev or Nigel Martyn working with Pickford ?

Get either or both of these guys involved from now till the end of the season and see what their assessment of him is come the end of the season.

does any other keeper do what he did against the RS that late into the game? I would guess they wouldn't.

Agree with the OP. Not the most pressing concern but I wouldn’t be sad if he went. I don’t like him at all like most but I’m not letting that make me think he’s the worst thing about our team.

Too many lapses in concentration, vulnerable under the high ball, poor positional sense at times, and a general attitude that he is the business and perhaps above the fray here at Everton.

That moment at Mordor, he can never live that down for me and his pass the buck attitude and refusal to take personal responsibility for that defeat was appalling.

All this for Englands No.1

Always some crazy moment in him. Sell. Sell. Sell.

If he's good at the Euros i bet Man u will be all over him

That Sheffield United goalie is a United loanee so I cannot see them being interested.

And also, I wouldn’t be surprised if Pickford is benched by England come the Euros.

The MOTD spotlight is now being firmly shone on him and it ain’t complimentary.

People will never be happy untill we get a new keeper for them to moan about, said before every goal is his fault according to some even when we dont conceed people look for things on him to moan about-every save is supposedly a save for cameras,routine save, saves other keepers would make etc etc, only conceeded 2 more goals now compared to same stage as last season as well, he will make mistakes like every keeper but no where near as many as people make out/make up,moan about, so bored about hearing same rubbish nearly every week even when we dont conceed from people that never liked him the second we got him so they can have a moan who then come up with utter rubbish who we should go for instead

I’d be happy to sell him if the chance comes. Although he pulls off some good saves now and again, his decision making is woeful and he’s too erratic and loves attention which has a negative effect on some of his performances.
He needs to concentrate on being a keeper and not trying to be an outfield player. Those balls he constantly hits to the wings and straight out of play for throw ins drive me crazy!!
We need a good solid keeper with a calming influence that our defenders can have confidence in... I don’t think he does that.

His weaknesses outweigh his positives and being an England player is neither here nor there it's such a low bar. His fall from grace will be of Joe Hart proportions when he leaves here

Chelsea are said to be looking to bomb Kepa out in the summer, so maybe there's a potential buyer there.

I had high hopes when he first came here, but I just don't rate him at all now.

Status
Not open for further replies.