What player are we missing now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also like Downing, but most people on here seem to think he's overrated. But at over £10m, which is steep, I think he's out of our price-range, at least for now (maybe in the summer things will pick up on that front).

Diarra at Pompey is an interesting one. Now that Harry has left, I think a number of senior players will want to follow that lead. Plus, didn't Diarra himself claim that he still wanted to be playing for a top club, that Portsmouth was effectively a stop-gap? But then are we a top club? lol

Downing is an immense player for me mate, i think hes worth droping about 15 mill on if we could afford it. The quality and creative outlet he would add to our side would be considerable and instant IMO. While he is also prone to scoring, it baffles me that some dont rate him. A really underatted player.

Some note worthy mentions to for me would be, De Guzman, Glen Johnson if Pompey are in need of money, id even try a sneaky loan move for Drethne at Real.

A pacy winger and a defensive midfielder for me. I think we could move Arteta/Pienaar into the central creative midfield role to save money. If we've got the money then I'd also like to see a play maker coming in.

I see Manny hasn't been mentioned in this thread.:p:D

i did this morning.....

You know what, i was going to mention him aswell!! lol

going to tell everyone not to mention his name..lol

read me like a book TB.

Anyhoo, i think we need a defencive mid an a proper winger. Either wing will do as Pienaar an Arteta can play inside or down both flanks.

We needa center midfielder (Fernandes) and a Left/Right winger who is skillful yet pacy.
You win!;)lol

Ok, let's face facts on this. We can pontificate about this player, that player and those players. But we all know full well that the player we really need is Manuel Fernandes. FACT lol

But does he need us???

Have to say Arteta looks somewhat disinterested at the moment, should we let him go to finance other signings?

A winger with pace, too many times we counter attack and we always end up going backwards because we haven't got a player to take someone on with raw pace.

A defensive midfielder, without a doubt about it.

Ok, let's face facts on this. We can pontificate about this player, that player and those players. But we all know full well that the player we really need is Manuel Fernandes. FACT lol

Where does he fit in? Hes not the DM we need and hes not the winger we need. I would prefer Cahill, Fellaini or even Ossie in the middle before him. :D

Downing is a classic 'quite good' kind of player. Better than average, would fit into a good team but wouldn't improve it. He's just too inconsistent to be a really good player. I don't see why we would ever want a player like this, will take us nowhere.

We could do with a pacey winger and I would love us to have Obinna. Thinking about it though, I wouldn't put that position top of the agenda. For one thing, we don't really play that way. Yeh it might be because we don't have natural wide players so we tend to come back inside all the time, but part of it is because we don't commit men forward very often anyway. You seldom see our full backs go forward on a counterattack, so buildup play is bound to be slow.

If we could sign one player I would definitely go for another top quality centre mid, preferably defensive minded. I think Rodders could do it eventually, but we could use someone who's already very good. Our central midfield to my mind is still pretty average. Fellaini will become a big part of it, but unless Arteta plays there with him we'll still never build attacks up with controlled possession. Diarra is a good shout, I'd take him in a second. Are there not any old experienced players around who we could get on the cheap? Gilberto woulda been another good'un, anyone like that. Hargreaves in a little 5m injured player Man United special?

I know that some have said we need a defensive midfielder but I honestly think we have one on the books right now with Castillo.

The few matches I saw him play in, he looked like he could do the business.

I'd like to see him get a run of games to fill that role so that we could concentrate, as everyone else has so rightly said, on a creative central midfielder or a winger while moving Arteta centrally.

I know that some have said we need a defensive midfielder but I honestly think we have one on the books right now with Castillo.

I'd like to see him get a run of games to fill that role so that we could concentrate, as everyone else has so rightly said, on a creative central midfielder or a winger while moving Arteta centrally.

Not for the first time, I totally agree Bill.

Nope. Castillo isn't good enough at the moment to even consider placing him in.

People don't see but his positonal sense is so poor it leaves us so exposed at the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.