Match Thread West Ham United v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
On a completely unrelated and in-jest note. Holgate has received 2 votes. What's up with that? Not stinking up the place calls for MotM vote I guess. lol
As I mentioned, no offense meant to those who have voted.

....I think Godfrey is so consistently good, its often taken for granted when he puts in a performance like that. Amazed none of the TV commentators or pundits are suggesting he gets an England call up.

I watched the Arsenal game afterwards & after wanting us to sign Gabriel in the summer, I wouldn’t have him now in a straight swap with Godfrey. Indeed, there’s not many in the league I’d swap him for.

They did mention it, they only mentioned that Steve Holland was there once and then went through the English players who were would be impressing him and Godfrey was mentioned in a very good light.

MOTD did actually quite a good piece on our gameplan yesterday. It kind of summed up our season and our strengths and weaknesses. We were able to sit deep and be a threat on the counter against a side who normally look to counter attack themselves. We limited them to only one good chance in the match. That's about as good as you can realistically expect to be defensively away at a top 8 team.

At home and especially with James, it's very hard to play that compact system and expect to get joy on the counter. The minute we try to go onto the front foot then we lose some of our defensive organisation and solidity. It's what we will need to try and fix next season. How can we become more aggressive and play on the front foot without becoming easy to play against. We certainly weren't easy to play against yesterday, but we were very easy to play against the week before. Mobility, pace, aggression and quality are the answers but finding the right players to make the step is not easy.

....I think Godfrey is so consistently good, its often taken for granted when he puts in a performance like that. Amazed none of the TV commentators or pundits are suggesting he gets an England call up.

I watched the Arsenal game afterwards & after wanting us to sign Gabriel in the summer, I wouldn’t have him now in a straight swap with Godfrey. Indeed, there’s not many in the league I’d swap him for.
Didn't Deeney suggest he should be in the England squad after the game?

Solid all round performance yesterday with Allan, Seamus and Godfrey the standouts for me. Also a word of praise for Pickford who seems to have worked on his temperament and hit some very good form at the right time. We received a big boost for the Villa game with Watkins’ sending off yesterday. A similar performance as yesterday will hopefully be enough. Richarlison was better this week but still some woeful decisions eg not playing DCL in in the second half and some substandard control on a few occasions. King looked lively in his ten or so minutes.

Last edited:
Solid all round performance yesterday with Allan, Seamus and Godfrey the standouts for me. Also a word of praise for Pickford who seems to have worked on his temperament and hit some very good form at the right time. We received a big boost for the Villa game with Watkins’ sending off yesterday. A similar performance as yesterday will hopefully be enough. Richarlison was better this week but still some woeful decisions eg playing DCL in And awful control on a few occasions. King looked lively in his ten or so minutes.
Good roundup. Pickford has suprised me esp since xmas. He seems to have become more mature and is now barking at his defense and taken control rather than talking and laughing to himself. From a position I would have expected changes in this summer window from carlo I think he has given himself another season as number 1.

Allan and godfrey both are quality players and coleman has had a good finish to season. Richarlison was decent yesterday apart from 1 or 2 very bad decisions but I was really impressed with his work rate again. I expect carlo is happy with him for that alone and hopefully with additions in midfield richarlison would be allowed to keep his energy for more attacking runs next season.

It’s mad how important Thursdays game now is

We’ve been talking about this game in hand for such a long time now and if we win we put ourselves in the driving seat for potential European football next season especially with Sheffield United and wolves at home to follow (despite our awful home record).

Not sure a draw would be enough given our goal difference compared to the teams above us

It’s mad how important Thursdays game now is

We’ve been talking about this game in hand for such a long time now and if we win we put ourselves in the driving seat for potential European football next season especially with Sheffield United and wolves at home to follow (despite our awful home record).

Not sure a draw would be enough given our goal difference compared to the teams above us

We need to win. Very little margin for error now

MOTD did actually quite a good piece on our gameplan yesterday. It kind of summed up our season and our strengths and weaknesses. We were able to sit deep and be a threat on the counter against a side who normally look to counter attack themselves. We limited them to only one good chance in the match. That's about as good as you can realistically expect to be defensively away at a top 8 team.

At home and especially with James, it's very hard to play that compact system and expect to get joy on the counter. The minute we try to go onto the front foot then we lose some of our defensive organisation and solidity. It's what we will need to try and fix next season. How can we become more aggressive and play on the front foot without becoming easy to play against. We certainly weren't easy to play against yesterday, but we were very easy to play against the week before. Mobility, pace, aggression and quality are the answers but finding the right players to make the step is not easy.

Yes and I'm happy and trust that Ancelotti is doing his best to make these players work as effectively as possible, and that he is looking to be more attacking and take the initiative when we have to be on the front foot. I think that in fact becoming more attacking is not just about Sigurdsson, James, Iwobi and the 2nd striker, but it's more about the Coleman and Gomes position in the first XI and the alternatives to James, DCL, Richy and Doucoure in the team, and replacements for Iwobi, Bernard and King.

Somehow feel like Gordon and Simms will be ok off the bench next year, and we still just need to buy 4
RB
CM
RW / Striker
another Doucoure alternative (younger version)

4 is a realistic number I think for current times, and if we could bring in Simms and Gordon to the squad, and then we get lucky with a Godfrey - type purchase, it'll be an amazing Summer.

I think a lot will depend on what side City put out last game.

If they field their under 18s, we might just sneak a draw.
Whatever side they put out is good, but because fans are back for 1st time in a long time and because the trophy will be awarded to them, I think they will go strong to give their fans a show [though off course they also have the final a week later - so could rest some]

Whatever side they put out is good, but because fans are back for 1st time in a long time and because the trophy will be awarded to them, I think they will go strong to give their fans a show

Chance at their first ever Champions League win just six days later though. They'd be mad to risk key players against us if we're playing for something.

Imagine he plays De Bruyne and Dias and they both get bad knocks?

To add, imagine a weird scenario where if we win we'd deny Liverpool top four... If I were City I'd be throwing the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.